Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    It's more like Fumie can't stand Shizuka.. That's well known among the japanese skating fans.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I thought this went back to the Nagano Olympics, where Arakawa got the spot over Suguri. Wiki says the podium in the 97-98 season was Arakawa, Suguri, Inoue.

I also thought there were shows in Japan produced by and/or for Arakawa.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    It's more like Fumie can't stand Shizuka.. That's well known among the japanese skating fans.
    Yeah, but why? Does all boil down to Nagano? I wonder if there's more to the story. Like to me, it's sort of shocking to think that all of Fumie's Japanese peers during her height seem to like avoid her while surrounding themselves around Arakawa like mean girls. Or maybe Fumie must've done something because usually there's a reason if a whole group of people don't like you. FYI, I'm only going by what I've read on FSU and maybe that fluff piece from I believe 2002 Skate Canada when Onda, Arakawa, and Suguri were all competing and Arakawa and Onda were watching Suguri's performance backstage and they looked like they were sort of making fun of her. Or maybe I'm misremembering and I don't want to project anything onto what Onda and Arakawa were actually doing.

I remember watching a documentary about Suguri in 2003 and looking at regular behind-the-scenes snippets and Fumie didn't seem to have a problem with non-Japanese skaters. However, the Japanese skaters probably know her a lot better. I just think this sort of animosity-driven rivalry is both fascinating and sad.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I personally believe it all started when Arakawa beat Suguri to qualify for Nagano Olympics. I really don't know what happened but from what I read and heard, Fumie hates Arakawa. I read somewhere(japanese site) a long time ago that Fumie often ignored Shizuka when Shizuka was saying just hello or hi. I also heard Fumie refused(or she never participated) to go out for dinner with other girls(Miki and Shizuka and other unknown skater) for dinner after practice. I think Miki Ando was always afraid of Fumie. Probably most of the other japanese girls(skaters) were afraid of Fumie. I once read a newspaper article where Nobuo Sato was quoted as saying " I can't believe we are finally able to sit and eat dinner together", meaning Shizuka and Fumie during the Torino Olympics. Of course that was before the competition. After Shizuka won gold, Fumie was supposed to be the flag bearer for team Japan in the closing ceremony(or sub-captain) but instead she stormed back to Japan without participating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    After Shizuka won gold, Fumie was supposed to be the flag bearer for team Japan in the closing ceremony(or sub-captain) but instead she stormed back to Japan without participating.
    So why wasn't Shizuka the flag bearer?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash

vCash
    My take: Suguri was probably a diva during the early 2000s when she was the top Japanese lady internationally. Once Arakawa overtook her as top JPN lady after she won Worlds, Suguri still behaved like a diva thinking SHE is still the rightful top JPN lady. Honestly, I think Suguri was a little deluded even back when she was somewhat relevant back in the 2009-2010 season. I remember at 2009 Skate America, she pulled a Cohen and was on Yuna Kim like white on rice during practices and warm-ups. Why Suguri would be focused on Kim and not someone like Sebestyen, who was more of a competitor at her level and her competition for a medal is beyond me. I guess she liked to reach for the stars even back then...

vCash
    I really like Fumie's skating; fresh, simple, 90's style programs without all of the excessive stuff many programs have today because of the COP points rules and when she was previously making a partial return to good form 10 years ago and won some medals at Gran Prix events I was surely very happy for her. However, she is not getting younger, and even though she is only 32 her skating has been iffy for quite a while.

Preparing for all of these competitions costs money, and quite a lot of it. Just a 45 minute session with a top coach was easily 70 dollars 10 years ago, the price tag is probably much higher today. Skaters have to pay for ice time which is a bit of a luxury in Japan because the concept of free skate sessions aren't very popular and there aren't that many ice rinks (I didn't bump into any when I was in Japan last year), then you have to add the cost of buying and maintaining new ice skates which don't last very long on senior skaters pounding triple jumps all day. My custom skates cost me 1000 USD about 7 years ago, I bet custom skates with even better blades than the ones I use cost much more today.

I really wonder how does she afford the huge costs of seriously competing on a senior level when the only skaters that earn money are the ones that earn medals at top events. With Mao Asada being the top favorite for Japan and Miki Ando trying very hard to land a berth to Sochi the competition is really tough, I wonder if Fumie has been able to land some good sponsors that are willing to help her knowing her chances of making it on the podium in Japan nationals are very slim. It's not like there is any rule for a senior skater to stop qualifying age wise to nationals of their country as long as they qualify for sectionals but I do wonder if Fumie has taken the issue of the huge economic cost of going to nationals.

I would really like it if Fumie considers to become a coach sooner than later. I think she would be a marvelous coach and she could still enjoy the excitement of going to top events in her country if not the same anxiety because she won't be on the ice, but she could give her students a lot of motivation and recall her own personal life experience to calm their jitters. It's sad that so many Japanese senior skaters are still being forced to go to Russia, USA and Canada for trainers in part because Japan doesn't have enough senior level coaches for them. I think Fumie should seriously consider coaching to raise the new generation of Japanese skaters.

vCash
    An awful lot of rumormongering going on. I guess it's easy to villainize someone when she's already down.

During the 2006 Nationals exhibition broadcast, there was a big group of Japanese skaters-- Oda, Takahashi, Asada, Nakano, and others-- who had a birthday cake for Suguri backstage and were singing happy birthday to her. I know, right! She's such a bitch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    An awful lot of rumormongering going on. I guess it's easy to villainize someone when she's already down.

During the 2006 Nationals exhibition broadcast, there was a big group of Japanese skaters-- Oda, Takahashi, Asada, Nakano, and others-- who had a birthday cake for Suguri backstage and were singing happy birthday to her. I know, right! She's such a bitch.
    Hear. hear!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash

Awww, that's so sweet.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I look forward to the film version of "Whatever happened to Baby Fumie?"
    I'm skating this this program for Daddy
    His address is Poverty Row
    It's thanks to that bitch Arakawa
    They can't pay me to be in a show
    But I'm going to keep right on skating
    If the medals I win are just brass
    The haterz can go right on hating
    They can kiss my ass
    Last edited by Nomad; 11-23-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash

You are so right here. Well, I haven't witnessed any of the scenes described here, and I'm trying to imagine how things had developed so negatively. But as you say here: once someone's branded, everything they do and say will be interpreted in a way that scandalizes their name even more. Fumie is not the only case in figure skating to make such experience.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345