Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post

N. B. "Free Bird" is what a person can yell at a concert instead of, "YOU SUCK!!!!!!" without getting kicked out of the concert.
    Only at concerts where the majority of the audience is in their 50s and 60s, has long straggly beards, and tie-dyed T-shirts, and the band last had a hit in the mid-1970s. Which is the time period where your understanding of figure skating seems to be located.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    My only concern is the goal of this "skate" that she's aiming for...

You know I have a friend who went to the Olympics as a runner and he said the hardest thing he ever had to realize was that "I am no longer going to get faster" and to change his goals from "winning" to "enjoying" I am afraid that she may not be able to do that and most elite athletes have to face that at some point. Growing old is just a pain But he's still a great runner and can run faster then most of us at his age.

But if she enjoys skating and is doing it because she wants then why is it any of our business. Not like any of us are funding this! She's probably a better skater then 90% of us!
    Last edited by Carolla5501; 11-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.

vCash
    Someone posted a video advertisement-type thing about "never giving up" and it featured Fumie, who appeared to also work full-time in some office position (possibly at Kappa) and skating at night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Hey, PairSk8fan, a message for you...

FREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFR EEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRD...

NotSorryBoutIT

vCash
    She still dreams of the World titles she missed in 2003, 2004, and 2006, the World silver she missed in 2005, and the Olympic bronze she missed in 2002 and 2006. So she continues to chase those dreams and missed goals until she reaches them.

vCash
    This is only my guess and some others but I think Fumie can't give up skating because Shizuka, her arch nemesis(since she lost the spot on the Nagano Olympics team, Fumie hates(obsessed with) Shizuka), won the Olympic gold at Torino. She just can't let it go. She is obsessed with Shizuka and can't let it go.. Shizuka is still improving her artistry since turning pro and Fumie can't stand it. There I said it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    She still dreams of the World titles she missed in 2003, 2004, and 2006, the World silver she missed in 2005, and the Olympic bronze she missed in 2002 and 2006. So she continues to chase those dreams and missed goals until she reaches them.
    Sometimes you just have to move on, change your dreams and set new goals. You can't always get what you want, you know?

vCash
    But if you try sometimes well you might find you get what you need.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Suguri said she was happy that she had finished 1st among Japanese ladies at 2005 Worlds(Suguri 5th, Ando 6th, Arakawa 9th). So I think it was more about beating Arakawa for her than taking a medal in the Olympics in Torino.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Hey, PairSk8fan, a message for you...

FREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFR EEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRD...

NotSorryBoutIT

Now that's the spirit! It is just misdirected, and I never will respond to the hyper-polite, sensitive approach to fandom in any sport, even FS. "Be nice! The skaters TRY SO HARD.... They are just youngsters.... How would YOU FEEL? and BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...." It's ridiculous. PointBlankDOTcom.

As I mentioned once before, go check out the sport fan message boards, websites and commentaries of other sports. This discourse provokes so much from the gentEEEEEEEL. I am entertained. Keep up the good work!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    Fumie Suguri says, "I want to skate better and continue until I make a performance that I'm looking for.".

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...006948310.html
    Thanks for posting this info re: Fumie Suguri. I too am happy for her to continue. I've been wondering what she is doing.

vCash
    This is her message in her official blog "The Guri Guri Daiary of Fumie Suguri"

Finishing Higashi Nihon Championship or Eastern Japan Sectionals,
    November 9th, 2013

Photograph:
    http://ameblo.jp/fumie-suguri/image-...743711618.html

In other day, I had participated to Higashi Nihon Championship which was held in November 3rd-4th. To everyone who cheered me, thank you very much.

Although I had continued to train aiming at my third participation to the Olympics while having been supported by many persons, I couldn't get the qualification to Japan Nationals because of my poor result with 11th place.

After the competition, the various feelings had welled up, but what I am feeling with strongest now is the feeling which I would like to become more skillful at the skating.

I am not satisfied by the result of my performance in the competition.

I rather feel strongly that there are a lot of things which I should do and must learn in the skating.

Although I has continued the life which is full of the skating for over 20 years, the skating which I image as my ideal is far from me yet by yet.

I feel really that the skating is deep and difficult.
    It never make me cut corners and never permit me to compromise.

But I think that it is just attractiveness of the skating.

The younger skaters have increased before I knew it and I had become the oldest when I found. Really, it is fairly difficult to recover the fatigue and It is easy to become ill and I often feel the weakness of the physical strength.

However...

I will continue the skating because it is indispensable in my life.

I had piled up the training while aiming at the skating which is not only as the person who has watched me impresses but also as my own mind is excited, so far.

But I have not reached my goal.
    Therefore I will continue to pile the effort from now on.

Because the 32 years old Fumie Suguri will do my best with energetic moreover, please cheer me.

Hoping that all persons become happy, I will do my best from now on, too.

The message:
    Finishing Higashi Nihon Championship or Eastern Japan Sectionals,
    http://ameblo.jp/fumie-suguri/entry-11679861751.html
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 11-17-2013 at 05:46 AM.

vCash
    That message does sound like she has some slightly unrealistic goals... but if it's what she wants it's what she wants.

vCash
    I think the most unrealistic thing is that she keeps talking about the Olympics (I have also read other articles where she talked about Sochi ...). Aiming to have that "perfect" skate at nationals is one thing; aiming to skate in Sochi is quite another .....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    I think the most unrealistic thing is that she keeps talking about the Olympics (I have also read other articles where she talked about Sochi ...). Aiming to have that "perfect" skate at nationals is one thing; aiming to skate in Sochi is quite another .....
    Yes, exactly, or another Olympics unless she has some miraculous re-improvement before 2018 lol. I can't remember if she has hinted about continuing on to 2018 or not.

vCash
    Does Fumie seriously still talk about the OLYMPICS. Get a grip girl. Even Mira Leung knew to retire eventually.

vCash
    Thanks for the translation Akira Andrea.

Fumie...

vCash
    fumie = chusovitina of figure skating
    so she really has some more years left

vCash
    ^^ well not exactly. Chusovitina at age 33 won a Silver Medal at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 and also ended up a respectable 9th in the Indiv All-Around. And that was after taking a break, becoming a mother, then returning to gymnastics. I'd say Miki Ando has a better shot of pulling a Chusovitina at this point than Suguri.

vCash
    Well... Good luck, Fumie! However, I presume a thread entitled "Suguri didn't qualify for the 4th time" next year...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast