Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Go Fumie!!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Hopefully, Fumie competes until she's 107. GO SUGURI 4EVER!!!

vCash
    I just want to give her a big hug.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Fumie stinks as a skater now. HER SKATING IS JUST AWFUL. As a former medalist at Worlds and a decent former competitor, how can she continue? She MUST be mortified every time she tries to skate a program competitively.

Reality check - - - - FUMIE, YOU SUCK! Get off the ice, you delusional stupid woman!

If there was a concert, I would yell, "FREE BIRD!!!!!!!!" to Fumie.

SorryBoutIT.
    The only thing to be "mortified" or "SorryBout" is your own rudeness and meanness.

Reality check: as long as Fumie continues to enjoy skating, more power to her.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    It's a bit cynical that the more tkaug dises her, the more FSUers encourages Fumie.

Quote Originally Posted by tkaug View Post
    Fumie Suguri says, "I want to skate better and continue until I make a performance that I'm looking for.".

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...006948310.html
    My rough translation of the article tkaug posted on this thread.

Suguri at the age of 32,
    still a lot to challange, "I want to keep skating till I can give the performance I'm aiming at."

Suguri, the veteran at the age of 32, has failed in qualifying for Nationals for three years in a row. "My feeling is that I want to skate better. I want to keep skating till I can give the performance I'm aiming at," she indicated to continue competing.

She finished the short program in the place of 9th and tried to turn it around in the long. However, her mistakes with the jumps costed her and she ended up in the 12th place over all. Although she failed in appearing at Olympics for the first time in the two quads, she appreciated people, "I'm supported by cheers from my fans and the words like "I want you to try your best" from the people in their thirties as I am."

ETA:
    Another article which has a photo of her FS.
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...006950680.html
    Last edited by rosewood; 11-05-2013 at 02:57 AM.

vCash
    I thought at first that Suguri was just messing with tkaug's mind, but then texted me that she has already picked out her programs for next season:

Short Program
    Free Skate
    Exhibition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Suguri, the veteran at the age of 32, has failed in qualifying for Nationals for three years in a row. "My feeling is that I want to skate better. I want to keep skating till I can give the performance I'm aiming at," she indicated to continue competing.
    I believe that was her 2009 Nationals performance.

vCash
    She sounds delusional at this point. Before long her scores will be approaching Novice. Is that the performance she's aiming at?

vCash
    She analyzed herself why she didn't skate well.

I wasn't feeling good with my skin on the ice. I wasn't dressed well today.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...006950680.html

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Does she have a full time job or is she wealthy? If she just wants to compete for her own joy as a hobby I don't see why people have a problem with it. Does she devote full time to it or does she have a real life on the side and then just do this on and off?

That said, if my assumption is not correct and if she actually thinks she could make Olympic team then she needs serious help, though I do not think that is really the case. How does she have money to train if she is doing this full time?

vCash
    It has been posted That a company hired her to be their figure skater!

vCash
    Fumie has every right to continue to enjoy the sport and art of figure skating, as she enters middle age. Even into old age. It's a great recreational sport for all folks with relatively healthy legs. However, Fumie may need the aide of a psychiatrist, if she thinks that she can be competitive with the elite ranks. I'm sure that there are a lot of needy people in her own country who could use the money that she is throwing out the window, e.g., people who lost everything near Fukushima power plant, still displaced.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I always enjoyed Fumie's skating. I'm not sure how I feel about this. But, who cares how I feel?!

If Fumie wants to continue -- even if she doesn't have another job or the money to skate -- it is still her choice and her right.

I only hope she really does enjoy what she's doing and is not frustrated by it. (I know I would be frustrated.) She must have the patience of a saint! I do wish her all the best of luck and hope she finds the performance she is looking for.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    It has been posted That a company hired her to be their figure skater!
    Fumie's had a great career, but if her current results are the return on the investments they're getting...

Seriously, does she have any coaching/strategy? She got the fourth lowest TES in the free skate (Yuki Nishino had a higher TES in the SP). Most of the field was doing 3T and 3S, and two of the girls in the top 5 don't even have a 3Lo, 3F, or 3Lz. Considering that Fumie's PCS were less than a point away from Risa Shoji, Fumie probably would've made it to Nationals if she had done nothing but clean doubles.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    Fumie's had a great career, but if her current results are the return on the investments they're getting...
    Are we sure they're paying full price for her coaching and ice time? I remember the company Akiko works for does real estate and is a (co-?) owner of the rink where she trains, so she gets free ice time. Maybe having a former Olympian who still skates is all they're going for, i.e. "look how cool our employees are and look how many varied interests they have outside of work; we even have a competitive figure skaters who went to the Olympics a while back.'

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Are we sure they're paying full price for her coaching and ice time? I remember the company Akiko works for does real estate and is a (co-?) owner of the rink where she trains, so she gets free ice time. Maybe having a former Olympian who still skates is all they're going for, i.e. "look how cool our employees are and look how many varied interests they have outside of work; we even have a competitive figure skaters who went to the Olympics a while back.'
    Well, whatever the reasons for hiring her, what is astounding is the load of BS Fumie spouts about being a world class skater when, in reality, she no longer is a world class skater.

Reality check - Suguri in 2013-2014 STINKS. FREEEEEEE BIIIIIIIIIIIIRD!!!!!

N. B. "Free Bird" is what a person can yell at a concert instead of, "YOU SUCK!!!!!!" without getting kicked out of the concert. Free Bird is a notorius "request" for bands that suck.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Reality check - Suguri in 2013-2014 STINKS.
    I'm pretty sure that's all relative. I for one enjoy watching some of the lower-ranked skaters at US Regionals and -as an adult skater myself- think it's very cool she's trying to qualify for Nationals in a competitive field in Japan. She said she wanted to keep skating until she had a good performance, not until she medalled in a certain event. She seems to still enjoy skating; her current company seems ok with paying for it. All the parties involved are fine with the arrangement.

vCash
    Does anybody know how well she trains? As in, in practice, does she fully rotate her toe/flips/lutz? If so, maybe she just wants to compete until she delivers a performance of her true ability and artistic talent?

Haunted by perfection~~~

vCash
    Well, whatever the reasons for hiring her, what is astounding is the load of BS Fumie spouts about being a world class skater when, in reality, she no longer is a world class skater.

Reality check - Suguri in 2013-2014 STINKS. FREEEEEEE BIIIIIIIIIIIIRD!!!!!

N. B. "Free Bird" is what a person can yell at a concert instead of, "YOU SUCK!!!!!!" without getting kicked out of the concert. Free Bird is a notorius "request" for bands that suck.
    Hey, PairSk8fan, a message for you...

FREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRDFR EEBIRDFREEBIRDFREEBIRD...

NotSorryBoutIT
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast