Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

A Week of Remembrance 2013

W/it now being November 4th, that makes it a week from now till November 11th and Remembrance Day. Canada's History Channel has started their programming w/Saving Private Ryan last night. That last scene, at the Cemetery where he's asking his wife if he's led a good life? Never fails to turn me into a sobbing mess.

I am so glad I got to see this one in the Theatre, as it really helped w/that Stereo/THX Surround Sound in the actual Theatre level of volume, truly made it feel like you were right there w/them. It actually took me until they met up w/the character that was played by Ted Danson for my ears to stop ringing from the D Day Landings Battles.

Anyway…The bulk of History Canada's Remembrance programming will be from the 8th to the 11th. They'll be reshowing some amazing documentaries and films. Such as Storming Juno, the most recent archaeological dig on the site of what was Stalag Luft Three, otherwise known as the camp The Great Escape took place out of and also the documentary on the hunt for The Secret Weapon of the Somme and is/was one hell of a flame thrower. That one's actually up over at YouTube and…The things we create to do the maximum amount of harm to each other just comes to mind when watching that one.

It's such a sad Remembrance Day for my Family this year, as w/the passing of my Aunt Evelyn, we no longer have any surviving Family Members who were also WWII Veterans any longer on either side of my Family.

I also found out I had a Great Uncle on Mom's side that managed to make it through all of the horrors of WWI, was on the boat on his way home and was killed by an Influenza outbreak on board the ship. I can't even begin to imagine the grief my Great Grandparents went through. I mean…They would have been so happy and thrilled he was coming home to them and had survived it all and then…That Telegram arrives. As I said….I can't even begin to imagine it.

I know we usually have a thread for this time of the year and w/it now a week from November 11th, thought it was time to start it. One last thing….

If you live in the UK, Canada or any of the other Commonwealth Countries, please, please, please buy a Poppy!!! That money goes out to do so much that, in our case, The Royal Canadian Legion does to support our Veterans and is needed even more now than ever. W/so much being slashed due to spending cuts by the Govt, so many Afghanistan Vets are slipping through the cracks and the Legion is doing it's best to help them. They need all the help they can get, so please buy a Poppy and support the Poppy Appeal!!!

Here's this year thread. God Bless Our Veterans!!!

vCash
    Thanks for posting AragornElessar. Lest we forget.

vCash
    I always buy a poppy. Actually, I wear four Remembrance/ANZAC Day badges year-round on my work uniform: small enamel pins of RAN and RAAF hats, a small enamel poppy wreath, and a fabric poppy that has a pin attached to the back. (Actually, these are the greatest invention ever: I used to have to buy about six of the ones on wires every year because I kept losing them).

INTJ
    vCash
    Poppy is on Visiting Belgium and seeing the effect the world wars is still having was one of the most humbling experiences of my life and forever changed my perspective on Remembrance Day.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    For my Army granddad and my Airforce granddad. I remember, I remember and give thanks for my freedoms today.

RIP
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    History channel Canada is having a special on tonight titled "28 Heroes". Today I will not make it downtown for the Remembrance Day services but I will remember and give thanks in my heart. Lest we forget.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...ost-every-day/

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    In Flanders fields the poppies grow *
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

As written by Lt-Col. John McCrae while serving with the Canadian forces near Ypres in the spring of 1915.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    * in his own handwriting, John McCrae wrote the word "grow". In printed versions it appeared as "blow".
    Can't skate but love to watch

INTJ
    vCash
    At the John McCrae site in Flanders they have a plaque with In Flanders Field on it that's supposedly in his own writing. It says blow. I remember being really confused if it was blow or grow as a kid. When we were there we were with a tour group there was one American couple that had never heard the poem. Both were in tears by the end. It was a touching moment to be witness to.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    I too have visited the site where the poem was first written.

There are reports that he actually threw away the first version he wrote so perhaps he wrote more than one version.
    Can't skate but love to watch

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    My understanding is that the first stanza is blow and the third is grow. Makes sense to me. History sure gets messed up, doesn't it?

My thoughts are with those who have sacrificed so much.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    For those interested in seeing the Documentary Dieppe Uncovered, it's available over at iTunes. This is the documentary that uncovers the files that up until very recently were still classifed Most Top Secret about how the Landings were a cover for a secret Commando Force formed by none other than Sir Ian Fleming.

Yes, that Sir Ian Fleming. The one who gave 007 British Secret Agent James Bond to the World.

What was actually the real reason for the raid was an attempt to snatch a four router Enigma machine and to bring it back to Britain in order to decript the German codes. If they'd been able to pull this off, WWII could have ended sooner, or at least given the Allies a huge advantage in knowing exactly what the Nazis were up to.

Instead....

I remember when I posted about it last year during the programming to mark the 70th Anniversary of Dieppe, there were a few of our US Members who wanted to see it. Obviously, no idea if you can get it from the US iTunes Store, but at the very least you could give it a shot.

Did anyone else see the final Veteran Interview during CBC's coverage from the National War Memorial? Talk about a character and then some!! The reason he was there? Because it's the one day out of the year when pretty young ladies want to hug and kiss him. Since he's not missing out on that... . He also said he will be back next year, because what would happen if he wasn't there to hug and kiss!?! By the time the interview was done, he had Hannah's face about the same shade as the Poppy on her coat thanks to all the flirting he was doing LOL!!

He really and truly was a hoot and a half and God Bless Him for it!!

I thought Prince Phillip looked really good today in Brussels. Not only did he take part in the Ceremonies at The Menin Gate, but he and The Coldstream Guards picked up over fifty bags of soil from Flanders Fields and respective Commonwealth War Cemetaries. These bags of soil will be part of a Garden of Remembrance being planned right now for dedication next year as part of Ceremonies and events to mark the 100th Anniversary of the start of The Great War/WWI in the UK.

There's going to be a program called The Great War on the.CBC and also a new Documentary commissioned by History Channel Canada to mark the 60th Anniversary of the end of the Korean War called 28 Heroes on tonight for those interested that can watch those channels. I'm planning at some time tonight popping in the disc from my Band of Brothers set w/We Stand Alone Together : The Men of Easy Company too. My Parents were very close friends w/an older couple in Michigan, they used to a cabin up here they'd come to during the Summer and that's how they met my Parents. I knew them as Auntie Anne and Uncle Pete.

Uncle Pete was a WWII Veteran and by watching that Documentary on the BoB set, it's my way of honouring him and the Veterans of my Family who were/are US Armed Forces Veterans. Uncle Pete though...He was this big huge bear of a guy, who loved nothing more when we'd visit than setting up TV trays and watching Saturday Morning Cartoons w/me. Toys R Us hadn't reached Canada at that time, so they'd take me to one in their area and spoil me rotten in the Barbie section.

It was on one of these trips when they bought me the Dining Room set. To this day, all I need to do is close my eyes and there we are, sitting on the floor of their living room and these huge beefy fingers are working w/such gentleness and care to get these teeny tiny spoons, knives and forks out of the frame they were moulded into at the Factory.

They didn't have any children and even fewer Family, but even so, we were shocked when we found out they had left us everything in their Wills. Including Pete's various mementos he brought back w/him. One being a bracelet made up of coins from the various Countries he served in. While know a couple of them, Cdn penny and US nickel the obvious ones, but the rest have us stumped. There's one big one we think is Holland/The Netherlands, and a couple from Germany, but the rest have us stumped. I tried to take pictures of them, but not a single one came out clearly. Hopefully we'll be able to ID them all someday.

Sorry for the epic post from what was only a heads up about that Dieppe documentary over at iTunes. Once I got started though...