Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    If you compare what she says in the video with the text of the interview, there isn't much they have in common.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Does it say explicitly that the interview is an exact transcript of what she said in its entirety? Perhaps she said more off camera and the video is just a snippet or even an addition to the interview?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think, actually, that that excerpt about Adelina was meant more like "an athlete's mentality", like someone (Rodnina, I think, but I'm not sure) used to say that when you go on the ice, you have to kill the competition, and you better do it already in practice. Adelina herself has said in the interview that when she started training in Buyanova's group, at first she was scared to be on the same ice with the rest of the group, because they skated with such speed and power that she was afraid she'd get killed, and for a while she tried to stick closer to boards. Here is it: http://www.sport-express.ru/newspaper/2012-11-08/8_5/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Does it say explicitly that the interview is an exact transcript of what she said in its entirety? Perhaps she said more off camera and the video is just a snippet or even an addition to the interview?
    The questions in the video and in the interview are the same, the answers are different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Nice interview. She's refreshingly honest yet respectful and self-aware. Well done, Anna!
    I agreen what a great interview -- I hope she does well in Paris!

vCash
    Yes, those were charged questions and Anna seems to be refreshingly unscripted.
    Refreshingly unscripted, or cunningly manipulating? Do you know Anna personally to be sure whether she was honest or whether she used the interview to turn people from being a fan to her competitor? Did you personally noticed Adelina doing anything wrong? You have already called her saboteur! I would say, innocent until proven guilty, whether you made up your mind without knowing facts. The fact that someone won god medal does not mean that they can't possibly be manipulating, no matter what their age is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    What does her character have to do with her being an athlete and competing where she earns to go?
    I used to like not her skating style, but her will to land anything. When I wrote her character, I meant the competitive spirit. For example, last season when she missed her chance for combination, she put it after another jump, although that meant that she did very difficult triple-triple combination nearly at the end of the 4 min program. That's a fighter. Not everyone would risk it, or they would do triple-double.

But bitching about competitor to a newspaper, that in my view says a lot about her character. As I said, it completely turned me off her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    But bitching about competitor to a newspaper, that in my view says a lot about her character. As I said, it completely turned me off her.
    I don't have much experience with Russian tabloids, but Romanian ones have been known to try and create skandals or manufacture rivalries whenever possible. They've even gone on to publish articles a few days after breaking a big SKANDAL story, explaining some part of the press has tried to exaggerate facts. We, however, have the real story for you.

Am still not convinced that interview is an accurate reflection of what she said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    If you compare what she says in the video with the text of the interview, there isn't much they have in common.
    Well, that's hilarious. So the interview was not even properly transcribed? That shows how quickly are people willing to write Adelina off, on something that was not even accurate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    I don't have much experience with Russian tabloids, but Romanian ones have been known to try and create skandals or manufacture rivalries whenever possible. They've even gone on to publish articles a few days after breaking a big SKANDAL story, explaining some part of the press has tried to exaggerate facts. We, however, have the real story for you.

Am still not convinced that interview is an accurate reflection of what she said.
    Is it! so how come that it doesn't match with the video? the question match and the answer don't? I can see how accurate it is! We had Russian language compulsory at school for 5 years!

vCash
    Is it! so how come that it doesn't match with the video? the question match and the answer don't? I can see how accurate it is! We had Russian language compulsory at school for 5 years!
    Wait, I said I'm *not* convinced . I wouldn't expect it to match the video, either.

vCash
    Sorry, I did not notice of that word "not"

vCash
    Sorry, I did not notice of that word "not"
    No worries. It was just funny .

vCash
    Refreshingly unscripted, or cunningly manipulating? Do you know Anna personally to be sure whether she was honest or whether she used the interview to turn people from being a fan to her competitor? Did you personally noticed Adelina doing anything wrong? You have already called her saboteur! I would say, innocent until proven guilty, whether you made up your mind without knowing facts. The fact that someone won god medal does not mean that they can't possibly be manipulating, no matter what their age is.
    Who would Anna be trying to manipulate? What would Anna hope gain by saying Adelina is a bad competitor? Would Russian Fed hold marks against Adelina because she is mean and ruthlessly competitive ? Actually if she were that, they might think more highly of Adelina . I don't think winning public favor by dissing Adelina would get Anna anywhere.

It's certainly possible Anna didn't answer like that, or the media twisted her words. But if Anna did say those things, I think she is likely just being candid, there is nothing really here to manipulate to her advantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Who would Anna be trying to manipulate? What would Anna hope gain by saying Adelina is a bad competitor? Would Russian Fed hold marks against Adelina because she is mean and ruthlessly competitive ? Actually if she were that, they might think more highly of Adelina . I don't think winning public favor by dissing Adelina would get Anna anywhere.

It's certainly possible Anna didn't answer like that, or the media twisted her words. But if Anna did say those things, I think she is likely just being candid, there is nothing really here to manipulate to her advantage.
    Who to manipulate? Well, anyone, really. Audience so that Adelina has less fans and is not so much supported at internationals events by audience. Other coaches within Russia because they are the one who will be deciding about the second spot. The Russian Federation because they will be also deciding who gets the spot. The judges so that they may unconsciously feel more sympathetic (poor Anna!!!)

What does Anna have to gain? Let me see....there are 2 spots. They are 3 girls who are quite likely to be chosen and she has external chance, if two out of the three fail somehow. Julia is her friend. By discrediting either Adelina or Liza, Anna's chances are naturally increasing. Liza has been widely inconsistent (9th in the SP at her GP event). The opportunity presented herself while skating at the same event with Adelina, she took the chance ... I wouldn't say Anna has nothing to gain!

I work with children. Some are making various allegations, which in some cases are true, and other times complete fabrication. I don't think that we can distinguish who is honest and who manipulate based on one interview, while we don't know the person, we didn't see the actual interview live, we don't speak the same language as she does (or it is not our first language...). There is too many unknown which means that we have no chance to see the whole picture.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I work with children. Some are making various allegations, which in some cases are true, and other times complete fabrication. I don't think that we can distinguish who is honest and who manipulate based on one interview, while we don't know the person, we didn't see the actual interview live, we don't speak the same language as she does (or it is not our first language...). There is too many unknown which means that we have no chance to see the whole picture.
    Yet one of your first reactions tothe new interview (or, perhaps, "interview") was,

I have to say that I did like Anna as a person (not as a skater yet because she is not quite polished yet, although she is better than last year) and I really wished her the best. Reading the complaining about Adelina turned me off Anna though. Now I do hope she won't qualify for neither Europeans, Olympics or Worlds this year.
    That's hardly a measured reaction.

Whether fabricated, manipulated, subject to interpretation in translation, or word-for-word accurate, this thread shows how polarizing the article is, which for a tabloid, means it did its job.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Yet one of your first reactions tothe new interview (or, perhaps, "interview") was....
    well, of course it was. Because I hate when public opinion judges someone before we even know the full facts. As I said, innocent until proven guilty. Anna made (sort of) public allegation against Adelina. If you read this thread, you will see how many people suddenly spoke against Adelina, without even being sure whether it is the truth or not. Adelina was even called saboteur! In my opinion this is disgraceful!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "Of course" you would attack the skater rather than question taking her words at face value? That somehow balances things out? It reads more like Pot. Kettle. Black.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I do still think that to make up the whole thing would be a bit much even for a tabloid. They quoted Anna as giving a narrative, a paragraph-long story, not a sentence taken out of context and no interruption by the reporter seems to have been made, judging by the continuity and flow of the story. She did discribe how Adelina prevented her from practicing her jumps by deliberately skating into her trajectory. That constitutes aggressive behavior. I am someone who likes Adelina's skating and as a person who is determined and ambitious. This was surprising to read.

However, I have seen the original Russian article (I have native fluency in Russian) and the translation is done well. I don't see how that could be entirely fabricated or taken out of context. Anna gives a long, detailed answer in the exact context of Adelina being angry at her for winning, vs. her relationship with Carolina and Julia and then goes directly into the incident. These are not disjointed snippets. They don't seem to have been pasted together, this is a coherent story that has continuity and details. It rings true.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    No, Tara did. But I do recall someone saying this, perhaps Johnny brought it up during the mens broadcast?
    I'd be surprised if it was Johnny who made the inaccurate comment about the meaning of Pogorilaya's name, particularly since he's familiar with the Russian language and he didn't do the ladies commentary at Cup of China. Perhaps it was Terry Gannon that mentioned it since he was commentating the ladies event with Tara at Cup of China.

BTW, it was mentioned in another thread that Johnny tweeted he will be doing the ladies and mens commentating at NHK on this Sunday's NBC broadcast.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast