Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Kostner gets incredible PCS, in the free program she got nearly 10 points more than me! It's fantastic!
    I would translate this as "It's incredible" rather than "fantastic." But yes, Anna, Caro gets better PCS with good reason. Anna's P/E is barely there, while Carolina's even on a bad day like this, is better. I am glad to see that Anna ultimately realizes this. I hope to see her develop in the PCS area, the jumps are there.

I liked this interview, what a nice, mature girl she is.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-03-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    What a well spoken young lady Love her honesty!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I really enjoyed reading this interview; thank you for the translation!
    Anna seems grounded and well aware of her strengths and weaknesses. I hope she can keep improving and doing well. I really enjoyed her free skate

vCash
    Awesome interview, she seems to have a great attitude and an astonishingly mature perspective for a 15 year old. She knows where she stands in Russia and what she needs to do to get noticed there, no resting on her laurels and she is very honest and open about everything. It is not surprising she has been such a strong competitor up to this point, she and Julia share this sense of blunt honesty and drive that appears to set them apart from the rest. And then there is just having the ability to compete and rise to the occasion, something that you just cannot teach.

vCash
    Is it Pogo-ril-Iyah?

Or Pogo-RIL-eeyah?

Or...?

vCash
    Pogo-REE-lah-yah, I think. Ukrainian word for a person who lost their posessions in a fire, btw.
    Last edited by quiqie; 11-04-2013 at 09:00 AM.

vCash
    ^Thank you! And... what a meaning!

vCash
    Me likes AnnaP a lot due to her refreshing honesty. I hope that she and YuliaL will form the Russian Ladies team for Sochi. Russian Nationals will be very exciting.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    It is not surprising she has been such a strong competitor up to this point, she and Julia share this sense of blunt honesty and drive that appears to set them apart from the rest. And then there is just having the ability to compete and rise to the occasion, something that you just cannot teach.
    This. They both have exactly the right attitude and enough self-awareness needed to succeed. Their skating still leaves a lot to be desired but they are making progress and they know their weaknesses and aren't planning to rest on their laurels (which is what Sot and Tuk largely appear to be doing, IMO).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Pogo-REE-lah-yah, I think. Ukrainian word for a person who lost their posessions in a fire, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    ^Thank you! And... what a meaning!
    No kidding! Well, she certainly seems to have the developing ability to endure the competitive fires of figure skating and gain some glorious podium possessions.

Right now Anna P looks wonderful technically/ athletically and was also pretty well put together re her costume and music (sometimes the Russian ladies seem to have odd choices in those respects). It will be great if she can improve artistically and interpretively re her music as she matures.

vCash
    Watched Anna's exhibition program, the routine wasn't great and her hair was a mess but she looked stunning in the outfit! I remember thinking the same thing at Junior Worlds where she wore a similar black unitard-like outfit for the exhibition, I think in the tight black, you can really see the potentially nice lines she can have. For now, she needs to work on straightening her legs and flailing her arms less, and her overall appearance is still a bit gangly though much more sophisticated than last season, but idk, if she can work on polish, posture, and straightening those limbs of hers, I think she could really be something. She already has the jumps and fiery spirit, and her long limbs could really work to her advantage if she can gain full control of them, which I think she could in a couple years time.

Seeing Pogorilaya doing so well makes me miss Shelepen and wonder what might have been if she had stayed with Tutberize. Shelepen and Pogorilaya are similar in many ways, I would say Pogorilaya has stronger basics, speed, and consistency, but they have similar strengths and weaknesses along with similar builds and Shelepen was progressing nicely until the nightmare coaching change/injury/Israel fiasco..

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Thank you. Someone on NBC said it means "bursting into flames" (Johhny?) and pissed me off. That is not what it means, quiqie is correct.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Uh, yeah that would be a difference.

Great interview and ITA her attitude is very promising. Best of luck to her and fingers crossed she does succeed in improving her PCS! No reason she shouldn't when we've already seen Lipniskaya making strides this season.

vCash
    Some tidbits from Anna's interview to sovsport.ru:

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656861
    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656862
    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656865
    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/656867

Q: Anna, don't you feel any discomfort training on the same ice as Julia? Congratulatory posters in honor of your victories are hanging at your home ice rink right next to each other…
    Anna: We didn't even say hi to each other until the last year. We knew each other, but never said a word. No, it wasn't jealousy, irritation or a display of competitiveness… I don't know what it was. It was just the way it was. The funniest thing is that we got to know each other, became friends and started hanging out at the Junior World championships.

Q: It's funny indeed. Is it a true friendship?

Anna: Absolutely! If you ask me what I would like to learn and from whom, I'd name her first - her jumps, her consistency! She jumps like a young Plushenko. Can jump with her eyes closed, open, with any entry, and without falls. It's a unique ability. And I would love to learn from Carolina Kostner her amazing stroking.

I liked Carolina so much! Such a sunny personality, it's just shining through! And what surprised me the most, she understands Russian!

Q: Carolina Kostner understands Russian?!

Anna: Yes! At the press-conference she was asked a question in Russian, the translator turned to her, and she said, no, it's okay, I understand. Before the gala, at the practice, I came up to her to warn her that I will be in this part of an ice rink, to avoid collision - in Russian, what else, I don't speak English, my second language is French, and only in the modest school format… And Carolina answered in Russian - with an accent, but correctly!

Q: Was she shining during practice as well?
    Anna: She's so radiant, always smiling, even when it's tough for her. I would like to learn that, too. I also try, of course, I listen to cheerful, upbeat music before I go on the ice, to light up, but there are the days when I'm feeling down, unfortunately…

Q: Anya, you were so obviously happy to beat Carolina, didn't that hurt her pride, what do you think?
    Anna: It didn't, or at least she didn't show it in any way. If I hurt someone, and quite deeply, it was Adelina Sotnikova. She got really angry, and our next encounter won't be easy for me. She was pressuring me quite harshly at practices in China, too. Adelina is such a sweetheart outside of the rink, but at practices she has a way of pressuring the competitors… It didn't affect me, even though she was aiming to do exactly that. It was interesting - such a show! Here is she, not even looking at you. She is not interested in you! But when you pass her, Adelina starts inadvertently following you. If it were someone else, you'd go your separate ways. But Adelina… She will definitely get in your way when you are attempting a jump, and you have to skip the jump, otherwise you collide!

Q: It looks like you never get angry?
    Anna: Why, I got got very angry before the Cup of China, when nobody believed in me, no one counted on me, not a word had been said about expecting me to win...

Q: But you said yourself you only wanted to make top-3.
    Anna: Well, I said just in case. But I'd wanted only to win... Why else to skate? After I won, I said tentatively that I consider my chances to make Olympic team minimal. But I want to go to Sochi very much, and I will do everything to go there.

Q: But what can you do? There are two spots, only one will be decided by sports principle, another will be decided by coaches counsel. You must realize that two great girls from the same great Moscow figure skating school won't go to the Olympics. It's politics.
    Anna: Then let Julia go to Sochi. She deserves the Olympics, and I will cheer for her!
    Last edited by quiqie; 11-05-2013 at 07:18 PM.

YEAH!
    vCash
    If I hurt someone, and quite deeply, it was Adelina Sotnikova. She got really angry, and our next encounter won't be easy for me.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks for the links! I may not yet be a fan of Anna's skating but am becoming a fan of Anna, the person. She sounds so genuine. Also, now I am an even bigger fan of Caro & Julia but much less so of Adelina. Not cool, not cool at all. If it's true, I hope karma bites her on the a$$.

from Speedy Death

YEAH!
    vCash
    I just feel like Adelina needs to pull herself together before she starts worrying about being a diva. What is she intimidating the other girls with, her fantastic falls on her triple flips? Now if Julia wanted to intimidate, the others would have reason to run scared...

vCash

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Julia doesn't need to intimidate. She seems calm and secure in herself. Adelina, OTOH, is neither. I don't think she is angry at Anna, what's the point of that? She is angry at herself.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    People generally like divas...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast