Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Not saboteurs though.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    She really loves Carolina I think. Always talking about her.

Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Q: But what can you do? There are two spots, only one will be decided by sports principle, another will be decided by coaches counsel. You must realize that two great girls from the same great Moscow figure skating school won't go to the Olympics. It's politics.
    Anna: Then let Julia go to Sochi. She deserves the Olympics, and I will cheer for her!
    Adelina going to olympics then no matter what happens.

Curiously curious
    vCash
    A very funny interview with Anna . One thing I noticed: I get the distinct impression that the first blush of naive disbelief at emerging victorious has now faded, and I swear that I could sense her ambitions growing even in the space of the interview.

If she didn't believe before CoC that she could be one of the leading Russian skaters, it's pretty clear to me that she does now.

She is going to be very interesting to keep tabs on. Will this newfound confidence be just what she needs to shed her former lumpen Downstairs status, and emerge as a diva full blown Upstairs? Or will she recapitulate the arc of Harriet Smith in "Emma"?

The tumultuous drama among the Russian ladies makes the U.S. ladies seem very staid by comparison.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    Adelina going to olympics then no matter what happens.
    How do you know this?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I should probably have warned that this particular newspaper is an aspiring sports tabloid and often tries to spice things up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    How do you know this?
    The same way you know that Gracie and Ashley are going to the Olympics no matter what?

(I'm not going to get into another argument, but it's so irritating how condescending you are to people who see things differently). I'm not sure how elif meant his/her comment but the rolling eyes indicates that it probably wasn't a serious statement anyway.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I think Adelina is the most likely pick after Julia, and will be selected if everyone else is equally inconsistent. However, if Anna beats Adelina at TEB, makes GPF, beats Adelina at Nationals and Euros, then I think she would go. The Russian federation is very political, but they don't ignore plain reality when it hits them in the face.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So you appoint yourself the self-righteous avenger, RFOS? I said Gracie & Ashley are going, barring a disaster. usually indicates irritation, so let the poster speak for her/himself.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-05-2013 at 08:24 PM.

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I think Adelina is the most likely pick after Julia, and will be selected if everyone else is equally inconsistent. However, if Anna beats Adelina at TEB, makes GPF, beats Adelina at Nationals and Euros, then I think she would go. The Russian federation is very political, but they don't ignore plain reality when it hits them in the face.
    I agree with this. A stellar performance from Anna for the rest of the season along with not-so-stellar performance from Adelina would likely put Anna on the team. Otherwise it's Adelina.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Not saboteurs though.
    I would take everything that Anna said with pinch of salt though. One week we have an interview where Elena Radionova says how great Adelina is, the following week we have an interview in which Anna says what 'saboteur' (in your words) Adelina is... I think the truth is somewhere in between. The fight for the spots has begun and I am a bit sceptical if someone tries to smear someone else in media. The bottom line is, Anna does not see at this moment Carolina as her direct competitor. It is not Carolina Kostner who is in her way to Sochi, so she can talk about her in nice terms, but with Adelina they are direct competitors for the spots to Europeans, Olympics and worlds. How do we know that this was not just a 'strategic move'?

I have to say that I did like Anna as a person (not as a skater yet because she is not quite polished yet, although she is better than last year) and I really wished her the best. Reading the complaining about Adelina turned me off Anna though. Now I do hope she won't qualify for neither Europeans, Olympics or Worlds this year.

vCash
    Thank you. Someone on NBC said it means "bursting into flames" (Johhny?) and pissed me off. That is not what it means, quiqie is correct.
    Oh, did Johnny do commentary on the ladies as well as the men? I missed the NBC broadcast.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Sure, it's possible that Anna is making this up. If so, quite sneaky. Did any of the posters present at CoC notice anything untoward? I am sure people here have watched Adelina in practice who could comment.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 11-06-2013 at 02:53 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    How do you know this?
    Because they didn't say they will send top two finishers. They are saying coaches counsil will choose.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Oh, did Johnny do commentary on the ladies as well as the men? I missed the NBC broadcast.
    No, Tara did. But I do recall someone saying this, perhaps Johnny brought it up during the mens broadcast?

from Speedy Death

Curiously curious
    vCash
    I should probably have warned that this particular newspaper is an aspiring sports tabloid and often tries to spice things up
    Ah, now that you have told me this, the tone and color of the interview becomes clearer.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Hmm, unless they changed what Anna actually said to make it more scandalous, I don't see how the nature of the publication matters

from Speedy Death

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Hmm, unless they changed what Anna actually said to make it more scandalous, I don't see how the nature of the publication matters
    They tend to bait the interviewee a lot more compared to a mainstream newspaper. I.e. "Anna, don't you feel any discomfort training on the same ice as Julia?" instead of "What's it like sharing the practice ice with Julia?" Anna is still really young and more likely to go along with this line of questioning than a more experienced skater who's already heard all the possible ways to try and stir up controversy.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yes, those were charged questions and Anna seems to be refreshingly unscripted.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    The whole coaches' council is just such bullshit. Results alone should decide who goes to the Olympics.

The Finnish system is the best - you take the average scores out of a few competitions during a season, so that consistency is rewarded and you can't just manipulate the Nationals result.

If I hurt someone, and quite deeply, it was Adelina Sotnikova. She got really angry, and our next encounter won't be easy for me. She was pressuring me quite harshly at practices in China, too. Adelina is such a sweetheart outside of the rink, but at practices she has a way of pressuring the competitors… It didn't affect me, even though she was aiming to do exactly that. It was interesting - such a show! Here is she, not even looking at you. She is not interested in you! But when you pass her, Adelina starts inadvertently following you. If it were someone else, you'd go your separate ways. But Adelina… She will definitely get in your way when you are attempting a jump, and you have to skip the jump, otherwise you collide!
    Wow...

As if I needed more reasons to dislike her.

Perhaps you'd like to sort out your own jumps Sot, before you worry about other skaters.

Curiously curious
    vCash
    A variety of techniques could be employed if you are really gunning for a "juicy" story, particularly if you have a certain amount of journalistic latitude as a semi-tabloid. I'll spin you a scenario on how something like that might happen:

It's possible that we might not even be seeing the interview in its entirety. The interviewer might ask the same baited question multiple times, rephrasing it a bit each time, until the athlete is either worn down so that she will follow the inquiry where the interviewer wishes to lead, or is trapped by an unfiltered moment into saying something they would not normally say. The non-compliant questions are then excised, and the interview is edited to give the impression of naturalistic continuity.

These types of techniques would, I would surmise, work best with young athletes who have just hit the big time, who have just won something significant and are therefore in a chuffed and chatty mood, but whose expansiveness is not matched by any significant experience in handling wily media types.

Someone like...well, yes, like Pogo, as a matter of fact.

Jes' sayin'...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast