Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    Will either D/W or V/M stay around after the Olympics?.
    I know this sound harsh but I hope they don't. Not because I don't like watching them but no other couple has had any chance of major silver or gold for four years & I would like to see other couples shine.
    It's been an amazing four years but I would like something new now.
    C/L, I/K, W/P & B/S have worked so hard I would really love to seem them fighting for Gold.

V&M aren't even planning to go to Worlds. Olympics is their last competition.

I cant imagine D&W after this season continuing if they win in Sochi as they probably will. Even if they don't it would be 50/50 at most I think to continue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyskater View Post
    I think IK had the free dance of the TEB competition and should have placed above VM. I think Olympic Silver is slipping away from the Canadians . . . not because of any reason other than other teams are simply catching up both technically and artistically.
    I&K lost to the Shibutanis a week ago. It is way too early to even think of them beating V&M. I do think V&M will win the Olympic Silver this year, whether they deserve to or not, just by their name value. I do agree they are on decline now though, and others are catching up and bypassing them. Weaver & Poje were robbed of winning Skate Canada this year. Even the commentators said so.

vCash
    VM have repeatedly said they're not sure when their last competition will be. If they don't know, neither do we. But this isn't their thread so moving on.

As for WP, I do think they're improving, but they also have plenty of work left to do. I like the SD but that FD leaves something to be desired. I don't even expect them to beat BS this weekend. I think it's a toss up.

With BS it's the opposite. I'm okay with the FD (appreciate the different concept, definitely still needs work), but wasn't feeling the SD. I agree about not even being certain what they'll do! Each time they've skated this season it was different. And I didn't see Zhulin in Paris last week which makes me think he was busy working on these 2.

It is kinda exciting to finally have a dance event where I'm not sure of the winner going in! Of course there's also GPF to be excited about. WP and BS should solidify their spots with PB, VM, DW, and CL at Rostelecom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    I&K lost to the Shibutanis a week ago. It is way too early to even think of them beating V&M. I do think V&M will win the Olympic Silver this year, whether they deserve to or not, just by their name value. I do agree they are on decline now though, and others are catching up and bypassing them. Weaver & Poje were robbed of winning Skate Canada this year. Even the commentators said so.
    When did you post this? Check the TEB results... I&K second to VM. And which commentators were you referring to? Certainly not the ones I heard.

vCash
    You know, I sort of wish there was just one more opportunity for the skaters to directly compete against each other. I sort of think that the top 6 from the GP series qualifying for the GPF is faulty since a skater's or team's placement really all depends on the field you're competing against.

I think after this GP Series (and other than a limited view from 4CC and Euros), we still won't really know how the judges will score any of the top contenders for the bronze medal (maybe spoilage for a higher medal) when all of them are directly competing against each other with the same Tech. Panel and judges. It will really be a nail-biter come Sochi.

Not to bring negativity to this thread, but I really do think Zhulin is limited creatively when it comes to choreography. I don't think there's been anything he's choreographed that really wowed me. I think it's one of those cases where a great performer can really execute choreography and perform, but they don't really have the vision that a choreographer needs. I wish Bobrova/Soloviev could work with a different choreographer (and maybe someone to work on her posture because I find it distracting).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    The sad thing is that Bobrova noticeably improved her posture last year but I feel this year she has regressed in that area possibly due to the fact that they had to scrap both programs. I am hoping that once they get more comfortable with their material, her posture will improve because she will have greater familiarity with and control over the movements. I think they are also really going for speed because that is what is rewarded, and she is sacrificing her carriage for it. It is a shame because the posture issues distract from her lovely blade skills.

I really loved both programs Zhulin did for them last year (that is when I really started to become a fan) and I liked their original FD this season. It is sad that they had this setback, and I really hope they can get things back on track (which would mean again reworking their programs).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    I/K said after TEB that they are planning to add more to the choreography of the FD before Russian Nationals. The aim on the GP was to get the elements down and performed as well as possible, and now they want to "fill in the gaps" in the program before the 2nd half of the season.
    Yes, and this makes me so happy. I am waiting to see these two come out with a masterpiece because they are so brilliant! I mean, look at those blades! Look at those knees! While I prefer them to P&B (whom I also love), I thought I&K were overmarked on the PCS given the lack of difficulty in the transitions and linking movement. I can't wait to see how they improve their FD. I think it has a lot of potential, and I want them to have that special moment in front of their home crowd at the Olympics.

It broke my heart to see P&B fall to third and to see Nathalie so upset. I have never felt they got the respect they deserved from the judges, and I am hoping this will be their year. I really love their FD, and I hope this will only push them. They have come back from difficult circumstances before and I have faith they can do so again. Come on, Nathalie and Fabian!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Not to bring negativity to this thread, but I really do think Zhulin is limited creatively when it comes to choreography. I don't think there's been anything he's choreographed that really wowed me. I think it's one of those cases where a great performer can really execute choreography and perform, but they don't really have the vision that a choreographer needs. I wish Bobrova/Soloviev could work with a different choreographer (and maybe someone to work on her posture because I find it distracting).
    Zhulin has done 1 program recently that I adore, Zlobina/Sitnikov's FD in 2011-12. It was so unusual, used the music perfectly, and suited them down to the ground. I think he's tried to do something in a similar vein for M/K this season, but I don't think they have the on-ice character to pull it off.

vCash
    It's not a shock to see B/S lead at COR but it is a shock to see the gap between them & W/P. But that's happens to the home skaters. D/W got inflated marks at Skate America & V/M & W/P got inflated marks at Skate Canada. It's just sad that P/B were dumped at home in Paris last week.
    I thought B/S were slightly better than W/P today. But that's because I liked it better than in China.
    C/B were really good. Much better in the Finn Step than R/T (Who are one of my favourites).

vCash
    Protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._SD_Scores.pdf

Most of the gap between B/S and W/P is because of levels - B/S got level 3s on both Finnstep patterns and the step sequence, and 4s on the twizzles and lift. W/P got levels 2 and 1 on Finnstep, 2 on the lift, 3 on the step sequences, and 4 on twizzles. The difference in base value for TES just on these levels was 5.50 points (in favor of B/S). The GOE was pretty similar for both with a slight edge to W/P. B/S had 1.42 pts higher in PCS. I wouldn't say there was home inflation here. B/S hit their levels and W/P didn't.

Same explanation for the difference between R/T and C/B. The base value TES was 4.5 points higher for R/T. C/B out PCS'd R/T by 2.21 points. C/B also got better GOE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJD View Post

Most of the gap between B/S and W/P is because of levels - B/S got level 3s on both Finnstep patterns and the step sequence, and 4s on the twizzles and lift. W/P got levels 2 and 1 on Finnstep, 2 on the lift, 3 on the step sequences, and 4 on twizzles. The difference in base value for TES just on these levels was 5.50 points (in favor of B/S). The GOE was pretty similar for both with a slight edge to W/P. B/S had 1.42 pts higher in PCS. I wouldn't say there was home inflation here. B/S hit their levels and W/P didn't.

Same explanation for the difference between R/T and C/B. The base value TES was 4.5 points higher for R/T. C/B out PCS'd R/T by 2.21 points. C/B also got better GOE.
    Thanks for the info.
    Free dance should be good !

vCash
    You're welcome! (Unfortunately the first thing I do after all of the dance events is read protocols, ugh. Still hoping for system that doesn't have me crunching numbers )

I'm excited for the free dance too! I'm really looking forward to seeing how B/S's has evolved. I love G/P's Hitchcock! And I'm praying that W/P and C/B took the vocals out of their music

vCash
    You're welcome! (Unfortunately the first thing I do after all of the dance events is read protocols, ugh. Still hoping for system that doesn't have me crunching numbers )

I'm excited for the free dance too! I'm really looking forward to seeing how B/S's has evolved. I love G/P's Hitchcock! And I'm praying that W/P and C/B took the vocals out of their music
    Why? The vocals in WP's FD is makes it unique as a tango!

vCash
    Yeah. Taking the words out of W/P's Tango will totally change the mood of the dance, IMO. I like it the way it is.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash

Most of the gap between B/S and W/P is because of levels - B/S got level 3s on both Finnstep patterns and the step sequence, and 4s on the twizzles and lift. W/P got levels 2 and 1 on Finnstep, 2 on the lift, 3 on the step sequences, and 4 on twizzles.
    BS' twizzles in the SD were not clean. How is this worthy of level 4? (Starts at 6:13)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3QriHFPl7k

If VM had a similar problem mid-twizzle, their scores would get dinged in both levels and GOE. <sideeye>

vCash
    It's so funny because this has been going on for a while and now people seem to notice? Technical panels are so lazy. When in doubt, they go by the evident instead of reviewing the call. Then you watch it at home and see how people land on flats and get level 4 and others can't see why it frustrates you.

vCash
    Forget the twizzles, how do you get the highest FS levels of the competition and miss a hand hold SO OBVIOUSLY?

http://youtu.be/y3QriHFPl7k?t=1m21s

This Russianflation makes me so angry and sad for the skaters who are working hard and deserve a honest chance at the medals.

How any senior level team could be lacking in something as basic as posture, and still be considered Olympic medal worthy is beyond me. The Shibs, who aren't and shouldn't be medal contenders yet, wouldn't dream of skating the way these two do.

vCash
    NVM you're right. The twizzles were WTF too.

M/C received a level 3 for these twizzles, deservedly so, they weren't their best twizzles.

http://youtu.be/qbSM9rWySZw?t=1m49s

...but if that's a level 3, how it this a level 4.

http://youtu.be/y3QriHFPl7k?t=1m52s

Again, V/M received a level 3 for this comparatively small bobble. I see you Russia and it's not cool.
    http://youtu.be/t46vJL8ABrs?t=2m11s

I need to stop watching this. I just have to accept that this is what the Olympics is going to look like. W/P don't deserve to be second to this hot mess. B/S seem like nice people off the ice, but it's hard to remember that when they're being scored the way they are. Even in pairs. V/T are in a good place to win gold the way they're skating, there is no need to inflate their scores further. They don't need to pad scores just in case some other team skates well, that's not a competition.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 11-23-2013 at 04:06 AM.

vCash
    BS were not great. They were not great at all. I wonder whether the judges are slating them from Oly Bronze? Truth is, however, I think IK will surpass BS for Oly Bronze. You heard it here first!

vCash
    What? Politics? Judges over scoring a team purposely? But I thought that only happened under 6.0.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast