Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    Given that I/K did have that bad fall and were off for the rest of the FD, I think B/S actually could have beaten them much more decidedly.

I'm really rooting for P/B. They've never been my favorite team, but I've always enjoyed the personality they bring to the ice and their dedication to being creative.
    (Side note and not entirely related: I still think they should have been on the podium at 2008 Worlds.)
    Don't get me started on the 2008 Worlds !. They should have won a medal first at the Euros. They had two really original programs, I could go on but I would be here until Sochi...................

vCash
    It's official, P/B withdrew from Europeans. Nathalie tweeted this link https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151889013956188

I wish they were going, but with the Oly team event starting so soon after, it seems like a logical strategy. (I still don't think it was good for B/S though. Their programs really need the mileage.)

ETA: This week they're in Boston with Igor. But surely he'll go to Euros with C/L so they'll miss that time anyway (with him at least).

vCash
    I think PB changing there SD

vCash
    It is VERY close to the Olympics.
    The ISU should have held the Europeans this week instead.
    I really liked P/B SD this season, just a touch more speed is needed.
    Exciting for I/K, they could go into Sochi as New European Champions or even C/L !.

vCash
    Very. very good chances for IK to win there firts ECh.
    Its will be inetersting - who will win bronze this time?
    I wish Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY could made top 5 and Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ top 10.
    Also wish Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN will skate in FD, because i like it.
    And all the best to Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON - wish them strong debute.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Very. very good chances for IK to win there firts ECh.
    Its will be inetersting - who will win bronze this time?
    I wish Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY could made top 5 and Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ top 10.
    Also wish Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN will skate in FD, because i like it.
    And all the best to Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON - wish them strong debute.
    I adore Papadakis/Cizeron. I so want them to do well.
    But I would love to see Nelli Zhiganshina & Alexander Gazsi win a bronze.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJD View Post
    It's official, P/B withdrew from Europeans. Nathalie tweeted this link https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151889013956188
    So that Russian rumor was right!

I think this puts huge pressure on I/K and C/L to step it up and win gold. I'm hoping P/B and B/S didnt shoot themselves in the foot by withdrawing, because I could really see Euros GM becoming OBM.

I really want Sin/Zhig to have another fantastic skate and get a respectable score from the judges. If they can stay close to R/T, I'm hoping they can get that 3rd spot on the Olympic team.

vCash
    I would love to see C/L win Euros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJD View Post
    A pity, but it's understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I really want Sin/Zhig to have another fantastic skate and get a respectable score from the judges. If they can stay close to R/T, I'm hoping they can get that 3rd spot on the Olympic team.
    I think they'll have to do more than just stay close to Riazanova/Tkachenko to get that third spot - most likely they have to win over them again to get it. If R/T come out in front, then they will be sent as the more experienced team with better international results (at least I believe so). That's the point of sending both of those teams to Europeans.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 01-07-2014 at 11:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    But I would love to see Nelli Zhiganshina & Alexander Gazsi win a bronze.
    Me too!

Apparently fans have been telling P/B how upset they are, and they were sweet enough to respond: https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php...d=181962471187
    We do understand your sorrow about our withdraw at European Championships... Very sorry about that But we appreciate your understanding and your support This is only for the best, for our most wanted medal, at Olympics. Sochi starts in 1 month !!
    As for Euros, I'd like to see I/K win. I do like C/L but I think they've been underwhelming this season. Maybe they'll bring it at Euros though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I have never understood why one skater's fake looks are seen as any more fake than anyone else's fake looks, except perhaps that the viewer wants to believe one and not the other.)
    Some skaters manage to appear genuine when they are skating, while others appear fake. And fake is more the norm in ice dance than in other disciplines.

Nothing is more fake to me than a smile plastered and frozen on a skater's face continually throughout the program. These are clearly fake smiles and the skater maintains it with a lot of tension. No one can genuinely smile just one smile for several minutes. A smile is basically a expression that moves and is held for a fleeting moment in time - even a 'long' smile.

This is most common among female ice dancers. I'm sure that they are told to smile in that way and to reach up way in the stands with it. And it is not as bothersome when there is more distance between skater and audience, more bothersome when watching close to the ice or on TV.

One of the things I like about Tessa Virtue is that she has a lot of genuine facial expressions, IMO, anyway.

vCash
    [QUOTE=MissJD;4097550]Me too!

Apparently fans have been telling P/B how upset they are, and they were sweet enough to respond: https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php...d=181962471187

I think it's a shame they are not going as the did not go to the Europeans last year & did not skate well at the Worlds. They also have said they will not go to the Worlds this year, so the Olympics are everything.
    I think it's a great opportunity to win a third European title plus say goodbye to their fans.
    But I can understand with it being so close to Sochi that they want to stay focused.
    I really wanted to see them at the Europeans though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post

I think they'll have to do more than just stay close to Riazanova/Tkachenko to get that third spot - most likely they have to win over them again to get it. If R/T come out in front, then they will be sent as the more experienced team with better international results (at least I believe so). That's the point of sending both of those teams to Europeans.
    Well, I hope you're wrong, but I guess we'll see. Im not sure what constitutes better international results - last year S/Z won a bronze medal in GP event. Did RT medal this year or last year? Im trying to remember, but I dont think so. Considering their very limited international exposure, I would say S/Z have had better results [in faster time]. Of course they're less experienced than R/T, but they'll never get experience if they're not sent. R/T have done virtually nothing this quad - time to try out someone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Some skaters manage to appear genuine when they are skating, while others appear fake. And fake is more the norm in ice dance than in other disciplines.

Nothing is more fake to me than a smile plastered and frozen on a skater's face continually throughout the program.
    Oh I agree. I used to refer to those as pasted on cardboard smiles. I think this was one of the things that kept me from every warming to Nancy Kerrigan.

What I was referring to in the post you quoted, was those loving/seductive/amorous looks between ice dancers who are not at all romantically involved. To me, any one of these is about as fake as the next.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    One of the things I like about Tessa Virtue is that she has a lot of genuine facial expressions, IMO, anyway.
    I absolutely agree with this. Tessa exudes a sincerity that I find very attractive in her musical interpretation. It doesn't always work for the dances V/M perform, but when it does, it really works.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    What I was referring to in the post you quoted, was those loving/seductive/amorous looks between ice dancers who are not at all romantically involved. To me, any one of these is about as fake as the next.
    Tessa and Scott fool me, and some others do as well. The documentary on them showed their ballroom dance coach teaching them to touch each other sensually - they had to practice. It was interesting.

There is some acting involved, much as there is with two actors doing a sex scene. But in ice dance as in acting, it really comes down to movement and expression. Some skaters are better at it than others. And the expression involved is easier to pull off than a four and a half minute smile because it is based on something people do naturally. A four and a half minute smile is not natural.

vCash
    So it's the Short Dance later today.
    It will be a really interesting event at the Europeans this year.
    No B/S or P/B.
    The Gold may be between I/K & C/L.
    It's a tough one to call. I really hope everyone skates clean.

vCash
    The short dance starts at 11:30 ET today, and free dance is tomorrow at 12:25 ET (17:30 and 18:25 in Budapest local time) Rai Sport live stream

Here's the link to the starting order/ live results/ protocols page.

vCash
    Sorry double post!

vCash
    There's an interview with Nathalie Pechalet over at ICE Network .
    They are reworking the SD to a more ballroom style with more closed holds .The first music section will be to Roxy to keep with the Fosse theme.Also Nathalie's dress was too SEXY

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast