23 51.11%
  • Tuktamysheva

7 15.56%
  • other

15 33.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Lip, Sot, Tuk and Pog, I love it. Sounds like characters from a fantasy novel or something.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Lip, Sot, Tuk and Pog, I love it. Sounds like characters from a fantasy novel or something.
    The surnames are really too long, and I don't feel like checking out their wiki pages every time to ensure correct spelling or recklessly spelling their names wrong. An identifiable short form is the best idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I would wait and see how these four girls do in their second GPs.

Things are looking good for Lip. But Pog is too much of an unknown compared to Sot, Tuk and Lip. This is Tuk and Sot's 3rd GP season and they have medalled in most of their events - and they medalled at Euros and went to Worlds last season so they are the more established ones. This is Lip's second GP season and she has been medalling in every competition she entered so she is still quite ahead of Pog in terms of exposure and experience.

I honestly can't imagine a combination of Lip and Pog simply because that would be the least experienced / established combo. They did play around with a less established skater in 1998 (Sokolova) but that's only because they had an extra spot. And I can't imagine they would trust Pog to take part in the team event. Sot and Tuk may be inconsistent but they are probably more reliable score-wise in the short and long respectively. Sot with a UR call on her 3/3 still scored 6 points more than a clean Pog in the short and her 7 tripled free only beat Sot's 4 tripled free with 2 falls by 10 points. Sot's scoring potential is much higher.

I think the most likely scenario is probably Lip plus Sot or Tuk, whoever bombs less at Nationals or whoever medals at Europeans. The only way I see Pog making the team is if she medals at GPF (which also implies a solid showing at her second GP) and an undeniable win at Nationals. Otherwise I don't even see her making Europeans. Sot has been made into a darling, Tuk is the great technician, and Lip is the flexible doll. They have been marketed for years. At this stage Pog lacks an identity and I just can't see her being sent to the home Olympics to compete in the key event when people barely knew her. I see her back to Jr Worlds with Radionova and the top Russia girl from JGPF.
    Pog meets with Sot again in TEB. A fourth place finish should be enough to make the GPF for her. I think if she beats Sot again the Russian fed may pay attention.

At the very least they may consider sending her to Senior worlds....

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Lip, Sot, Tuk and Pog, I love it.
    Just as well Lip doesn't lip; it might get confusing....
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The surnames are really too long, and I don't feel like checking out their wiki pages every time to ensure correct spelling or recklessly spelling their names wrong. An identifiable short form is the best idea.
    I think it's cute.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't believe that Russia will send two 15 year olds to the Olympics. One of the two spots will go to Tuk or Sot
    Most likely, but the two 15 year olds are the ones who can actually compete so at this point it seems like the more logical decision. I think being so great at such a young age has maybe hurt Tuk and Sot, they must be used to hearing all about how great they are and it messes with their head or something. Lip and Pogo seem to know what they need to do to be competitive internationally and nationally and seem focused on doing just that, so far, it seems like it's working. It will sure be interesting to see what happens from here on in.

vCash
    Probably Sotnikova if we also consider Tarasova's politiking. I believe her chances are even higher if Tarasova fails to send Kovtun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertmirsh View Post
    Lipnitskaia would have to make mistakes and Sokolova and Tuktamysheva skate cleanly for her to lose a spot on the team. This would have to happen twice at both Russian Nationals and Europeans. Add to that Julia is 95% likely to skate cleanly and they are 0-1% and the odds of that happening are nothing.
    sokolova back in business ? joking

vCash
    Whatever happened to Cupcake? I know she stopped competing in '07 but don't recall any official retirement announcement.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

YEAH!
    vCash
    She didn't retire so much as the federation retired her. She had gotten 4th at Worlds IIRC but they refused to submit her for GPs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    She didn't retire so much as the federation retired her. She had gotten 4th at Worlds IIRC but they refused to submit her for GPs.
    She was 4th at 2006 worlds and competed in the Grand Prix the next season . It was after her 13rth place at 2007 worlds where Russia went down to 1 spot in ladies that she wasnt submitted for the 2007-2008 season.

vCash
    Somehow I never warmed up to Sotnikova, and I think her choice of programs and music (in particular) may have to do with it. It doesn't help her cause when she displays nerves in either SP or LP. However, she is very young (17?) and has plenty of time to develop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12