Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

vCash
    Let's see ... Michelle Kwan in ladies, B & K and ice dance; S & Z (plus Anton and Elena, although both with separate partners) ... any more future world champs debuting at '94? Is this some kind of a record?

Banned Member
    vCash
    It was a magical time.

Yet it seem so distant now.
    (*sigh)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Let's see ... Michelle Kwan in ladies, B & K and ice dance; S & Z (plus Anton and Elena, although both with separate partners) ... any more future world champs debuting at '94? Is this some kind of a record?
    Anissina and Peizerat, placing tenth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplimentsFrom View Post
    These were the ****in' best Olympics ever.

We had the debut of Pasha on the Olympic stage (well, then she was only known as the other Oksana), we had both Torvill&Dean and Grinkov&Gordeeva coming back for their Olympic swansong, we had Baiul, of course The Scandal...these memories....like the corners of my mind...Oh how I scorn my adulthood.
    Oksana and Evgeni competed at the 1992 Olympics. Or do you mean as an Olympic (gold) medalist?

vCash
    Michelle Kwan did not skate in the 1994 Olympics. She was an alternate. The USA has just two spots- Kerrigan and Harding were given those.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Michelle Kwan did not skate in the 1994 Olympics. She was an alternate. The USA has just two spots- Kerrigan and Harding were given those.
    I didn't realize until later that I posted this in the wrong retrospective -- these all debuted at '94 Worlds, not '94 Olys. can a mod move this post?

vCash
    I didn't realize until later that I posted this in the wrong retrospective -- these all debuted at '94 Worlds, not '94 Olys. can a mod move this post?
    I didn't notice that, either.

vCash
    When I first saw this post my first thought was of Oksana Baiul, the 1994 Olympic Ladies Champion. I realized the title thread was wrong when I saw Michelle Kwan listed with the other skaters!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I thought every thread was about Michelle Kwan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I thought every thread was about Michelle Kwan

vCash
    On the subject of the ice dance I still believe that Torvill and Dean were the deserving gold medalists. The Russians should not have won IMO. If I remember correctly the judging panel comprised 3 judges from countries that came from the old Soviet Union. I do not understand how that could be allowed. Surely one judge from the old Soviet Union would have been a better solution

vCash
    I would have given the gold to Usova & Zhulin since it was their turn. Torvill & Dean already had their glory, and Gritschuk & Platov were always going to dominate the next 4 years and win the 98 Olympics. It was unfair of the Russian fed to move G&P over U&Z which went against protocal and unwritten rules at the time, the younger always waits for the older and established to retire before taking over. This was the only time in history they did that.

As it was the Canadian and Finnish judges placed Torvill & Dean 3rd, and the Belarus and Ukraine judges, 2 of the 3 ex Soviets, were 2 of the only 3 to place G&P down in 3rd behind both U&Z and T&D. So T&D would not have done any better even with a less pro Soviet or Eastern Europeans panel. Their free program didnt meet what most of the judges were wanting that night apparently.

vCash
    Really, every time I watch T&D's compulsories, I'm disappointed. They couldn't be any better than 3rd after CD.
    Their OD was fantastic, and they deserved to be 1st here. But the FD was not that impressive, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Really, every time I watch T&D's compulsories, I'm disappointed. They couldn't be any better than 3rd after CD.
    Their OD was fantastic, and they deserved to be 1st here. But the FD was not that impressive, IMO.
    ITA to all, couldn't put it together better

On the topic of younger team passing elder ones : technically, even if it was a close cometition between Mo & Min and Karponosov then Linichuk & Karponosov, the first did claim a world title before the seconds. Yet they were still passed by Linichuk Karponosov at 1978 Worlds.
    I know, there's a fall involved at 1978 Euro (hope I'm right) but L&K never really were entertaining and sometimes didn't have very good performances. They were still seen as more reliable than M&M and pushed as number one after Strabourg. Of the two russians team's program during 79-80, IMO M&M's is a masterpiece, L&K's is well... not very good. At 1980 worlds, russian fed still pushed for L/K even though they wouldn't win the title with two falls - if I remember correctly : one CD & OSP - since they already narrowly won the Olys gold.

After 1981, Bestemianova & Bukin passed Moiseeva & Minenkov at worlds too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345