• Stick a fork in her, she's done

43 46.74%
  • She will skate the Pirates of the Carribean SP for 3 more seasons

15 16.30%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    She isn't ready for the fork, but I wouldn't be surprised if she retires at the end of this season or perhaps after next season's Russian Nationals. She is 23, and the Russian wonder babies have started to come of age. If she skates at Euros the way she did at Nationals, she could be on the Grand Prix next season, but it would be hard for her to make the World or European team.
    This same post gets made by somebody every year.

And how do you suppose Leonova could afford to do that? Suguri has a degree from Waseda and a job that helps her pay for her expenses. AFAIK, Leonova's career has been funded with money from public or quasi-public sources, and her post-secondary education has been at the National Training Center in Novogorsk.
    The same way all of the ladies that placed 6-18 at Nationals do? Or should skaters like Menshov who do the GP and Bs but don't make the World team just not bother to skate at all?

vCash
    I think Alena is aiming for a European medal, then after she has won a medal she might consider ending her career on a high note
    she has a World medal and a GPF medal already, all she needs is a European of any color, not too shabby of an accomplishment, imo

vCash
    It's been a long time since I enjoyed watching Alena. Her jumps were so big and confident. No idea what the future holds for her although going out on a high note at 23 would seem to make sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    The same way all of the ladies that placed 6-18 at Nationals do? Or should skaters like Menshov who do the GP and Bs but don't make the World team just not bother to skate at all?
    Those "ladies" are all considerably younger than Leonova, and they are still able to take advantage of the kinds of state-funded programs that have, thus far, been available to Leonova. IINM, the eldest is Sofia Biryukova, who is still only nineteen. The Russian Federation will not continue to fund them into their mid-to-late twenties merely because they enjoy skating. They (like Leonova) would need to justify the funding with results.

The Russian Federation has been (grudgingly) sending Menshov to Senior "B" competitions and submitting his name for the Grand Prix largely because, thanks to the dire economic conditions in the 1990's, there was a dearth of younger skaters who were good enough to compete internationally at the Senior level. The improving economy led to the development of good young skaters, I would be surprised if any of the Russian men who are about Leonova's age now are still competing in their thirties unless they win a World Championship or a medal at the Olympics.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Those "ladies" are all considerably younger than Leonova, and they are still able to take advantage of the kinds of state-funded programs that have, thus far, been available to Leonova. IINM, the eldest is Sofia Biryukova, who is still only nineteen. The Russian Federation will not continue to fund them into their mid-to-late twenties merely because they enjoy skating. They (like Leonova) would need to justify the funding with results.
    Is this based on published criteria or is this your opinion? Would or should a skater like Leonova who hasn't won any GP medals for a few seasons be cut off if she can still place top 5 at Nationals and maybe Euros?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Is this based on published criteria or is this your opinion? Would or should a skater like Leonova who hasn't won any GP medals for a few seasons be cut off if she can still place top 5 at Nationals and maybe Euros?
    There probably are published criteria somewhere: criteria from institutions such as the Russian Ministry of Sport,the Figure Skating Federation of Russia, and the Novogorsk National Training Center.

As far as whether she would or should be cut off, the answer is that she probably would. The FSFR did that to Elena Sokolova after the 2007-08 season. While one could debate the ethics of doing that, I can see how the authorities would think that their money would be better spent on developing Adelina Sotnikova, who turned 12 after that season, than on preparing Elena Sokolova (then aged 28) to compete on the following season's Grand Prix.

vCash
    IIRC Leonova stayed early this year she wants to continue another quad. Which I really hope she does. The Russian team could use an elder stateswoman who does the GP, Bs, and maybe even makes Euros/Worlds.

I was really impressed with her at Nationals. Amazing speed, expression, attack, and huge jumps. The height, distance, and landing edge on the 3toe-3toe was astounding.

Having said that, skating well (and hopefully medalling) at Euros is huge for her. She needs a great score to get on the top 25 SB list and get Grand Prix assignments next year. Her 11-12 results come off the rankings after this season and she will plunge down the standings without a good result this year.

Comparing Leonova to Sokolova is a terrible example. In 2007, Sokolova was clearly out of shape, skater fat, posing nude on bearskin rugs, and skated to her own "greatest hits" as an LP (it was so poor it was like a parody). She clearly lost interest in competing and didn't give a feck anymore, that's why she was pulled from the GP. Completely different situation than Leonova.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Comparing Leonova to Sokolova is a terrible example. In 2007, Sokolova was clearly out of shape, skater fat, posing nude on bearskin rugs, and skated to her own "greatest hits" as an LP (it was so poor it was like a parody).
    Wait, what? You mean Plushenko was not the originator of this idea? Why don't I remember this program?

I do recall a lot of interviews where she talked about not being able to resist her mother's tasty cooking. Which we know Leonova is good at... (all kidding aside, she looked very fit at Nats and I was hoping this was not due to another dumb diet).

vCash
    As Cher pointed out, every year a lot of posters, me included, have been mentioning Leonova might as well retire given all the younger skaters coming up. But she keeps proving everybody wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    she earned her Euros spot over Tuk and Pogo
    I don't think so. Pogo has had a good season so far and even when looking at Nationals only, Leonova's PCS were inflated. Her SS are better than Pogo's and her PE was great but both of her programs are very basic in terms of CH and TR.

Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    No way Anna P or Liza are making the Olympic team after bombing Nationals.
    I don't think they are considered at all at this point. Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova's spots are probably safe even if they don't skate very well at Euros.

Neither Pogo, nor Tuk 'bombed Nationals' though. Definitely not Pogo who had a near clean FS. Her SP performance was weak and she seemed very tense but it wasn't disastrous either. Weak landing on 3toe< and two levels lower than what she was aiming for.

Tuk fell on her 3/3 combo in the SP and had one fall and one doubled jump in the FS. I wouldn't count that as bombing either.

vCash
    OK they didnt skate as well as I thought. I only saw the skates of Julia and Adelina, but I heard they had bombed. I guess I was wrong, and they were just buried by the deep field. Maybe without their mistakes they could have come as high as 4th and 5th ahead of Alena then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    Comparing Leonova to Sokolova is a terrible example. In 2007, Sokolova was clearly out of shape, skater fat, posing nude on bearskin rugs, and skated to her own "greatest hits" as an LP (it was so poor it was like a parody). She clearly lost interest in competing and didn't give a feck anymore, that's why she was pulled from the GP. Completely different situation than Leonova.
    You do realize that what Cherub721 and I were discussing was the hypothetical situation of Leonova's not finishing in the medals on the Grand Prix circuit for a few seasons, correct?

When Sokolova was tossed to the curb, she was the current Russian National bronze medalist and had won a Grand Prix event in what was to be her penultimate season. That's a record that would be a heck of a lot better than Cherub's hypothetical record for Leonova, so, yes, it's a completely different situation.

vCash
    do you think Pogorilaya could ave scored a 64 in SP ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw75jaMY97M
    I doubt she would have, they made a good choice with Leonova , she needs a new SB to get into a GP assignment ?

while she may not be a huge contender next quad
    but one thing is for sure, you can never right Leonova off, she's here to stay
    too bad No Olympics for her but she beat Tuk and Pogo

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345