• She will rise from the ashes and bury the Russian wonderbabies

12 13.04%
  • Stick a fork in her, she's done

43 46.74%
  • She will skate the Pirates of the Carribean SP for 3 more seasons

15 16.30%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    I hope Alena gets to go to Euros this time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    She should. I hope they dont name Anna P. over her. Even if she goes to Euros I dont think there is anything she could do there to get on the Olympic team though. Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia have already secured that, even if one totally bombs or skips Europeans.

vCash
    Me too!!!

vCash
    Leonova is back, not a meltdown in FS with 5 triples and she's selling the program
    her FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjX_puOyC8k

she earned her Euros spot over Tuk and Pogo

vCash
    I've always had a soft spot for Perkova. After Slute's retirement, Sokolova's downward spiral '06-'07, and the Crapova Sisters who followed, Leonova got me interested in the Russian ladies again. I hope she makes it to Euros and does well there.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    She should. I hope they dont name Anna P. over her. Even if she goes to Euros I dont think there is anything she could do there to get on the Olympic team though. Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia have already secured that, even if one totally bombs or skips Europeans.
    It would throw a wrinkle into things if Leonova won gold or silver at Euros with Sotnikova bombing badly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    It would throw a wrinkle into things if Leonova won gold or silver at Euros with Sotnikova bombing badly.
    That would apply to whoever they send, right? Pogorilaya has been consistent this season, and she could have a great skate there. Even Liza may want to make the most of the opportunity and have two clean skates to win a medal. So it really shouldn't matter. If Adelina has a poor showing at the Euros, I don't think they will drop her off the team. She is afterall the current national champion. I don't think the RSF has anything to lose. However, if they want to give Olympic experience to a younger skater who is more likely to be around in 2018, they could send either Liza or Anna P.

vCash
    No way Anna P or Liza are making the Olympic team after bombing Nationals. Neither will even go to Europeans unless Julia, Adelina, or Alena pull out. The Olympic team is already set for certain- Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia. Nothing that happens between now and then will change that, even some other girl going 220 at Europeans to win it. Those 2 have been the best Russians all year, and are the federation favorites.

vCash
    That would apply to whoever they send, right? Pogorilaya has been consistent this season, and she could have a great skate there. Even Liza may want to make the most of the opportunity and have two clean skates to win a medal. So it really shouldn't matter. If Adelina has a poor showing at the Euros, I don't think they will drop her off the team. She is afterall the current national champion. I don't think the RSF has anything to lose. However, if they want to give Olympic experience to a younger skater who is more likely to be around in 2018, they could send either Liza or Anna P.
    I'm sure Adelina will still be around in 2018, unless you're referring to Alena.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I'm sure Adelina will still be around in 2018, unless you're referring to Alena.
    Of course I am referring to Alena. She is the oldest of the lot and still fighting for the 3rd spot at Euros. The first two spots are already taken (for Euros & Olympics) -even though it's not official yet- by Julia and Adelina.

vCash
    The coaching council has recommended Alena for Euros along with Adelina and Julia. Now we wait on the executive committee to approve it!!! I hope she gets it!!! A few hours more!!!

Source: http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20131227/711124150.html

vCash
    Comeback of the year!!

vCash
    Leonova has officially been named for Euros congrats comback girl!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DobrinFan View Post
    Leonova has officially been named for Euros congrats comback girl!!!
    looks like the fork wont be sticking in her anytime soon

vCash
    Woohoo!! So many amazing comebacks this year and this is one of the best Way to go Alena!

vCash
    Congratulations Alena! I love it when an athlete keeps getting up after being knocked down. Best luck to her at the Europeans.

Interestingly, when you look at the original poll, the highest vote getter was 'Stick a fork in her' - It's almost as if she took on that as a challenge, although I don't believe she reads FSU.

vCash
    She isn't ready for the fork, but I wouldn't be surprised if she retires at the end of this season or perhaps after next season's Russian Nationals. She is 23, and the Russian wonder babies have started to come of age. If she skates at Euros the way she did at Nationals, she could be on the Grand Prix next season, but it would be hard for her to make the World or European team.

vCash
    if she medals at the Euros this year, she could retire on a high note. I don't think she can compete against the upcoming crop of Russian babies/ladies.

vCash
    I really hope she can finally win her first European medal. I know it wont get her named the Olympic team, but it would be a great achievement for her. I think she might continue. Yes it will be hard for her to make any major teams in the future, but some just like doing it for the love of competition and pushing yourself. Just look at Fumie (ok maybe dont look at Fumie, there are probably better and less insane examples). Anyway who knows, if she regains her consistency and has a very strong season with 3 spots she might be consiered. She hadnt done anything until Nationals this year for awhile, so she gave herself no real chance to be considered this time around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Yes it will be hard for her to make any major teams in the future, but some just like doing it for the love of competition and pushing yourself. Just look at Fumie (ok maybe dont look at Fumie, there are probably better and less insane examples).
    And how do you suppose Leonova could afford to do that? Suguri has a degree from Waseda and a job that helps her pay for her expenses. AFAIK, Leonova's career has been funded with money from public or quasi-public sources, and her post-secondary education has been at the National Training Center in Novogorsk.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast