• She will rise from the ashes and bury the Russian wonderbabies

12 13.04%
  • Stick a fork in her, she's done

43 46.74%
  • She will skate the Pirates of the Carribean SP for 3 more seasons

15 16.30%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    She's taking the season off to attempt to heal a chronic injury: http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2013/...njury-how.html

vCash
    Leonova's FS is even more tragic than her "Pirate" SP. The SP at least has a fun element to it, some upper body movement and great expression. In her "Carmen" FS, she's not even trying. Stroke-jump-stroke-jump-stroke-jump.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    The Makarova option
    The fork

The Makarova option also includes an academic degree and a career outside of figure skating. Whether the fork does too remains unknown.

I'm still confused about what the difference is between the two options.

BTW, I couldn't help but feel sorry for Mira Leung in that clip.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I think the difference between the two was basically knowing when to move on and do something new with your life (Makarova) or becoming Mira Leung or Fumie Suguri.

vCash
    To be fair, Makarova struggled two seasons, whereas Lenonova only one. So Leonova still have one season to go before she realises that there is not much chance to succeed now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    To be fair, Makarova struggled two seasons, whereas Lenonova only one. So Leonova still have one season to go before she realises that there is not much chance to succeed now.
    Next year Radianova will be age eligible as well. The thing with Leonova is had she actually continued skating well she would have a real shot right now (which cant really be said of Makarova). So the people who said she never had a shot are not really correct. The Russian federation and judges would not completely dismiss a World silver medalist from 2 seasons ago in favor of struggling Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva who were 9th and 10th at Worlds, baby Anna, etc...Only Julia (who right now is clearly their #1) might clearly be favored over her, but even that isnt clear as Julia is only 15, and hasnt even been to a Worlds yet. The problem is she hasnt done anything to build on her 2012 World medal, and her level of skating has far regressed since, and this is the period she needed to stay strong and make her case. I dont think she has much hope after this year as people like Anna will improve, Radionova will be able to go Worlds, Sotnikova and the other enigmas might get their act together at some point (atleast 1 of them), and she will have destroyed all her past reputation from 2 seasons of skating very poorly.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Russians initially had high hopes for Alena, I recall they gave her an apartment in Moscow, etc. except for her world silver medal, she did not materialize into the next Irina and they moved on.

vCash
    The problem is she hasn't done anything to build on her 2012 World medal, and her level of skating has far regressed since, and this is the period she needed to stay strong and make her case.
    More than any other skater, Leonova reminds me of Slutskaya. She has a similar style, and they both burst onto the scene with some very early success as perky teenagers, then foundered for a surprisingly long time. The World silver was kind of a surprise, as she had not done that well leading up to it (7th at Europeans). She has still never won a GP event, which seems odd. Slutskata also struggled for a while in the late 90s before emerging as a top contender. A lot of folks had already written her off.

One advantage Leonova has is that she has already gone thru her growing pains, so her success or lack of success going forward will be about how well she trains and prepares and avoiding injury.

vCash
    Leonova isnt the same powerhouse jumper with excellent spins and footwork that Slutskaya is though. That is the biggest difference.

Along with that Slutskaya was a great competitor, and a much tougher one than Leonova. I know some people will dispute that and say she faltered and lost some events people expected her to win (Kwan 2000 and 2001 Worlds, Hughes and Arakawa 2002 and 2006 Olympics), but she almost never had a meltdown, and by todays standards would be seen as incredibly consistent.

I agree their styles are similar, but their potential really isnt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post

One advantage Leonova has is that she has already gone thru her growing pains, so her success or lack of success going forward will be about how well she trains and prepares and avoiding injury.
    Sure, that's advantage, but the disadvantage is that she has the least jumps from all her competitors within Russian ladies. they all have triple-triple, and much more difficult than toe loop-toe loop. And as there is so many of them and more and more coming with each year now, Lenova's chances are disappearing. Even if one or two of them struggled, there is more coming and there may be maximum of three spots (obviously this year only two spots at worlds and Olympics).

I wouldn't be surprised if Leonova finished around 8th place at Russian nationals. And that is still lucky (that's only because they won't let skaters under 14 compete in seniors this year, otherwise she would have found herself even lower).

vCash
    She has a lot to be proud of in her career but I doubt she'll be a top any significant podium anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Sure, that's advantage, but the disadvantage is that she has the least jumps from all her competitors within Russian ladies. they all have triple-triple, and much more difficult than toe loop-toe loop. And as there is so many of them and more and more coming with each year now, Lenova's chances are disappearing. Even if one or two of them struggled, there is more coming and there may be maximum of three spots (obviously this year only two spots at worlds and Olympics).
    And so many of these young girls are already skating with much more maturity, musicality, charisma and finesse and with much better programs than her too. So her only advantgae is that she is more likely to stay injury-free. That can't be competitive when there are at least 10 girls doing 3/3s and other crazy elements with ease. She gets nowhere if even half of those girls made it.

vCash
    She is such a beautiful skater. It is a shame her once outstanding jumps have deserted her. She really was once the whole package which is why she had results like 4th and 2nd best in the World.

Banned Member
    vCash
    She looked more like a Junior level skater today at NHK. Slow, labored, but with nice personality.

vCash
    All the non jump elements were level 4 so good for her on that point! She's not kostner so she can't so 3t-3t with a fall and be near a medal.

vCash
    I hate that freaking POTC program. It's nothing but hip shakes, booty wiggles, winking, pointing and exaggerated facial expressions. She (stupidly) does all of her jumps in the first 30 seconds which means while everyone else is at least putting one jump in the bonus, she's forfeiting that completely.

I'm sorry but going back to this program is not something that is going to get her back where she needs to be in order to get a spot on the Russian team. IMO, 14 year old Elena Radionova has a more mature SP than 23 year old Alena Leonova...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    All the non jump elements were level 4 so good for her on that point! She's not kostner so she can't so 3t-3t with a fall and be near a medal.
    Have you watched that performance? It was a slow, cautious, sloppy mess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I hate that freaking POTC program. It's nothing but hip shakes, booty wiggles, winking, pointing and exaggerated facial expressions. She (stupidly) does all of her jumps in the first 30 seconds which means while everyone else is at least putting one jump in the bonus, she's forfeiting that completely.
    I am pretty sure that both Alena and Morozov understand the scoring system. So if she is putting her jumps within the first 30 seconds of her program, it is not their stupidity; there is a reason for it. My guess would be that her chances of landing her jumps decrease the more she gets tired, so by putting them at the beginning of her program they are trying to increase the chance that she will land it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Have you watched that performance? It was a slow, cautious, sloppy mess.
    And a lot of crossovers, and not enough transitions (if we don't count moves with arms while standing on one spot).

vCash
    I think Leonova has a accomplished a lot considering her skills: '09 World Junior Champ; '12 World Silver Medalist. If she goes nowhere from here forward, she has a lot to be proud of anyway.

I also think she's going to get lost in a sea of Russian babies and we probably won't see her outside of Russian Nationals if she continues on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast