Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 325
  1. #241
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,181
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Aldredge/Eaton had a pretty great starting position for newbies to WC's -- 20th of 32 -- but they had a weak SD, and it wasn't clear they weren't going to get any credit for the last lift. The mistake going into the lift could have been called the lift attempt, giving them no credit instead of 2.21 points.

    Compared to their 4C's SD, they lost 3.5 points on base, 2pts for getting L2/L2 instead of L2/L4 on the Finnstep, and losing two levels on the faulty lift, and they gained 1.78 in GOE vs. 3.07 at 4CC. Their PCS were slightly (.27) higher at Worlds than at 4C's.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  2. #242
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,181
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    I think Zoueva might be biding her time for teams to come to her when they don't get the results they want over the next two seasons with their current coaches, or when skaters aren't satisfied with the re-shuffling that will happen for 2014-15. By the end of 2015-16, a lot of things will have shaken out, with the front-runners and contenders established. I don't think she's going for the early peak in this Olympic cycle or to take a chance on teams who might not make it through mid-cycle; it's better to see where they politiks flow and let the other coaches do the heavy lifting. In the meantime, she's got a nice living just doing choreography, with coaching a few lower Top 10 teams on the side.

    (Sorry for the double post: I thought I was in a different thread.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  3. #243

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,819
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    If W/P know what's good for them, they will stay far away from Canton. They are, in my estimation, in one of the best places they can be in for their training. I would also be very surprised if I/P went to her. Possibly G/P but only because no other top Canadian team would want to leave their current training ground. After seeing how things have been in Canton for the past number of seasons, if any Canadian team went to Marina AND she was also training an American couple, I wouldn't presume she'd be giving me what I need to win if I'm the Canadian team.
    Crazy about sports!

  4. #244
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    831
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    If W/P know what's good for them, they will stay far away from Canton.
    I have to agree with some of that. I think Zoueva is extremely skilled as a coach and choreographer, but there's something toxic about the atmosphere in Canton the last year or two that wasn't there before. V/M have looked visibly strained, as have the rest of the teams from there, and I don't think it was just the strain of rivalry. A lot of teams jumped ship when Shpilband left. I have no clue what's going on there, but it doesn't seem like anyone's all that happy anymore.

    As for P/I and W/P, they've both flourished at DSC. Why on earth would either team leave? Krylova and Carmelengo seem to be great technical coaches and choreographers. They don't hesitate to call in experts when using a style they may not be as familiar with. They're masters at playing to their teams strengths, do a good job of identifying and repairing each teams' weaknesses, and most importantly seem to do a great job instilling confidence in their skaters (I think this was key for P/I). Furthermore, the environment seems to be a really great one. The skaters seem to enjoy themselves and get along with the coaches and one another. Sounds like the perfect place to be.

  5. #245
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    831
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    P/I are listed as participants in the Margaret Garrison Ice Show coming up on May 10th.

    http://skatecanada-centralontario.com/

    For those in the Ontario region, the show usually has a great line up (Gabby Daleman and Nam Nguyen are listed so far), and tickets are free (can you believe it?), so consider checking it out. I've never been, but I think I'll finally make the trip this year.

  6. #246

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    255
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin Bean View Post
    It would be great to see these guys follow Massimo Scali to work with Marina. Training at DSC risks them being held back because W/P will be the number 1 team.
    Sorry to get sidetracked. Is Massimo really no longer working at DSC?

  7. #247
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    55
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I think Zoueva might be biding her time for teams to come to her when they don't get the results they want over the next two seasons with their current coaches, or when skaters aren't satisfied with the re-shuffling that will happen for 2014-15. By the end of 2015-16, a lot of things will have shaken out, with the front-runners and contenders established. I don't think she's going for the early peak in this Olympic cycle or to take a chance on teams who might not make it through mid-cycle; it's better to see where they politiks flow and let the other coaches do the heavy lifting. In the meantime, she's got a nice living just doing choreography, with coaching a few lower Top 10 teams on the side.

    (Sorry for the double post: I thought I was in a different thread.)
    That can be dangerous though. As you said by the end of 2016 season the plot for 2018 Games will already be forming. If the main contenders for 2018 already are with an established coach that they are happy with, which they probably will be to have gotten to that point, she is out of luck.

  8. #248
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,561
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    P/I are listed as participants in the Margaret Garrison Ice Show coming up on May 10th.

    http://skatecanada-centralontario.com/

    For those in the Ontario region, the show usually has a great line up (Gabby Daleman and Nam Nguyen are listed so far), and tickets are free (can you believe it?), so consider checking it out. I've never been, but I think I'll finally make the trip this year.
    Tickets are not free but inexpensive. I bought on ice tics a few years ago for a very small amount! I may go this year but not sure . When I went patrick skated as did crone and Poirier. It was great to see patrick only a few feet away.

  9. #249
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,561
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Tickets are not free but inexpensive. I bought on ice tics a few years ago for a very small amount! I may go this year but not sure . When I went patrick skated as did crone and Poirier. It was great to see patrick only a few feet away.
    Sorry it looks like they are free this year.....didn't read the details.

  10. #250
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    831
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Sorry it looks like they are free this year.....didn't read the details.
    Yeah they are. I called and checked. I believe the only ones that cost $ are the on ice seats, and I believe that's because they provide food/drinks.

  11. #251
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,181
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Quote Originally Posted by poirierpaul View Post
    That can be dangerous though. As you said by the end of 2016 season the plot for 2018 Games will already be forming. If the main contenders for 2018 already are with an established coach that they are happy with, which they probably will be to have gotten to that point, she is out of luck.
    It's a risk, but who would have expected Gailhaguet to pull P/B from K/C to send them to Shpilband? They didn't do well at 2013 Worlds, but another coach could hardly have fixed Borzat's injury or made up for the missed training time.

    That doesn't mean she wouldn't take I/? if they fell in her lap.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  12. #252

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    cheering for W&P and P&I
    Posts
    281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think DSC is the right place for P/I. Think about it, P/I went from not even qualifying for a World`s spot to Top 10 at worlds in just two years. Besides, I sometimes have the feeling that Zueva is a little self-absorbed. With the DSC coaches I have a feeling that they put the needs of their couples in front and center of their work with them. For example they let their couples work with outside choreographers or they let Faiella and Scali work with Natalia Linichuk.

    Regarding P/B, I think they probably would have had similar results, if they had stayed at DSC.

  13. #253
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    810
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    If W/P know what's good for them, they will stay far away from Canton. They are, in my estimation, in one of the best places they can be in for their training. I would also be very surprised if I/P went to her. Possibly G/P but only because no other top Canadian team would want to leave their current training ground. After seeing how things have been in Canton for the past number of seasons, if any Canadian team went to Marina AND she was also training an American couple, I wouldn't presume she'd be giving me what I need to win if I'm the Canadian team.
    I thought G&P might consider making a move from Toronto to Michigan, but since they got into the top 8 last week, perhaps Carol Lane is a good enough coach with enough rep power to get them up the World standings.

    W&P might as well stay with Krylova for at least another year to see if they can get on the podium again next year, and then assess their options afterwards. Likewise, P&I have become much more consistent and no longer have the falls that they used to.

    W&P, G&P and P&I are really the only 3 ice dance teams with podium potential right now (unless V&M come back!). The 2 teams that might want to make some changes are O&W and R&H. Neither one of them qualified for the minimum TES score at Worlds last month. Edwards & Pang ended up being named the Worlds alternates instead.

  14. #254
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    221
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I thought G&P might consider making a move from Toronto to Michigan, but since they got into the top 8 last week, perhaps Carol Lane is a good enough coach with enough rep power to get them up the World standings.

    W&P might as well stay with Krylova for at least another year to see if they can get on the podium again next year, and then assess their options afterwards. Likewise, P&I have become much more consistent and no longer have the falls that they used to.

    W&P, G&P and P&I are really the only 3 ice dance teams with podium potential right now (unless V&M come back!). The 2 teams that might want to make some changes are O&W and R&H. Neither one of them qualified for the minimum TES score at Worlds last month. Edwards & Pang ended up being named the Worlds alternates instead.

    I don't see any reason for W/P to leave Krylova. They are the top team, will get great attention, and have a full team of specialists in and out of the club to make sure they keep improving. Given how close the results were, I expect W/P to continue pushing themselves and getting better and better. P/I have shown that moving to Detroit was the best thing for them. With some more confidence from a stronger season, and some great opportunities next season, I expect they will continue to get stronger and better as well.

    With regard to G/P, they need to take a page out of W/P experience. They put in a LOT of time to make sure they had stronger technique together. Poirier is really strong, but Gilles is not yet at his level. And she'll never get there unless they put in the time. I think that is probably best done out of the comfort zone, away from Scarborough, and with teams that will push them daily. I don't know about 3 top Canadians all at the same club, but they would definitely push each other. If not DSC, maybe G/P need to think about Novi. I also think that they need to work on different kinds of connection. I remember with C/P, they were lacking some chemistry. G/P connect on humour and originality, and clearly get along, but they need to work on more romantic connection. I love the originality out of this team, but they are going to need more.

    As for the other 2, I don't see a lot of improvement any more with O/W. I also think R/H should have moved a couple of years ago. If they are going to continue, they definitely need to make a change. I'm thinking Montreal might be a good idea. In the meantime, there are others starting to nip at both these teams heels, including P/O, E/P, and others.

  15. #255
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    810
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    P&I were never a bad team, the reason they didn't advance up the standings was because of inconsistencies and some major falls at the wrong time (like in the FD at 2013 Nationals). Their current environment has certainly helped improve their consistency and confidence, but they already had potential before they came to their current coaches. So while Krylova & co. deserve some credit for their improved results, it's not as if they were a terrible team when they came to her stable. They had been on the Canadian podium once and had some respectable results on the GP and elsewhere.

    G&P are advancing fairly well for a team that's only been together for 3 years. And if they are smart they will continue to advance their technique, like you say. I think they've already done so since they got increased levels for their footwork sequences at Worlds compared to earlier in the season. After the surprise of not finishing on the podium at Nationals this year I would assume they realized they need to raise their game to the next level. I don't know if they will leave their comfort zone of Scarborough though - Paul in particular seems a bit stubborn about staying there. But maybe he's right that Carol Lane is still good for them. They did get into Top 8 last week.

    O&W say they like being coached by Wing & Lowe on the West Coast, and R&H have been skating together since they were kids and say they are happy in the Scarborough group. But the challenge for O&W is that they will be in danger of being overshadowed by their own training mates of E&P if they don't have a stronger season next year. They edged out R&H at Nationals, but I think they finished behind P&O in the FD. And then O&W got beaten by R&H at 4CC's. R&H had decent results at 4CC's, but it's going to be hard for them to get on the Canadian podium and advance internationally unless W&P get injured or P&I or G&P have a major crash. The only reason O&W got to the podium in 2013 was because W&P were injured and P&I fell in the FD. You may be right that R&H should move to Montreal and be coached by Dubreuil & Lauzon. G&P will want to remain a Top 10 team, so Carol Lane will probably make them her main priority, and R&H might need a fresh coaching perspective.

  16. #256
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    831
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just dropping in to wish all who celebrate a very happy Easter!

  17. #257

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,683
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    8867
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    As for P/I and W/P, they've both flourished at DSC. Why on earth would either team leave? Krylova and Carmelengo seem to be great technical coaches and choreographers. They don't hesitate to call in experts when using a style they may not be as familiar with. They're masters at playing to their teams strengths, do a good job of identifying and repairing each teams' weaknesses, and most importantly seem to do a great job instilling confidence in their skaters (I think this was key for P/I). Furthermore, the environment seems to be a really great one. The skaters seem to enjoy themselves and get along with the coaches and one another. Sounds like the perfect place to be.
    I too think that K&C are doing a great job with P&I and W&P. If the skaters are happy, there is no reason to switch coaches. I am looking forward to their growing and becoming a force in medalling.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  18. #258
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    831
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's been far too quiet here, so I thought I'd share this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjNL...ature=youtu.be

    Further proof of how perfect P/I's unison is! (Not to mention those beautiful lines)

    Also, P/I will be skating the COS show this coming Saturday. I'm going to be there, so I'll try and fill everyone in on what/how they skate ASAP.

  19. #259

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Age
    64
    Posts
    614
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5912
    Thanks for sharing that. They are so very lovely!
    pug lover

  20. #260

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    21
    Posts
    342
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3015
    I will also be at the show this weekend too so I'll be sure to have photos for you guys (as soon as I have 45 minutes of time to edit/upload!)

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •