Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 326
  1. #281
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I was lucky enough to see this new number, too, and I also second everything that skatingfan04 said. Very much looking forward to your photos, Daniskates93, thank you!!

    It was steamy but classy, mature yet adorable... just perfection. I'm laughing that we just had a conversation here about their expression, because I must say even I was slightly taken aback at how perfectly at home they seemed in this type of number. I've never been a huge fan of the song, but my disappointment lasted only a few seconds because I was immediately captivated. The program contained their straightline and curve lift from this year's FD, and lots of the wonderful in-hold moments from both programs, as well as some of their classic romantic moves from previous programs. Their connection was just stunning, and honestly, I am so proud of them for trying something a little new! They absolutely nailed it. Cute, sexy, very confident but sophisticated. And I should also put in a word about their actual skating, because their ice coverage was insanely good, the program flowed beautifully. They were very warmly received too, which was nice to hear

    I'll also say a little bit about the group number they were in, choreographed by David Islam. It said "Caribbean" in the program, and then David tweeted that the theme was "Havana Nights". It was supposed to have P/I, G/P, R/H, Lauren Collins/ Danny Seymour, Hannah Whitley/Elliot Graham, Megan Koenig-Croft/Jake Richardson, Ekaterina Fedyushenko/Kaelen Dunker, Priya Ramesh/Brandon Labelle. I *think* what happened is that Danny's new partner, Yasmeen Jong, was the substitute, but she skated with Danny and Lauren skated with Asher. (Kharis was sick, if you haven't already read that elsewhere. I was very disappointed not to see them skate one last time, hope she feels better soon.) All the guys were in simple black, and Alex was wearing her Rumba SD dress. Some of it seemed a bit inspired by their SD, which was fun to see, it was such a lovely program, but that season was so riddled by disaster. Some really fun moments, and G/P and P/I did one side of the rumba pattern together. I think the music was Besame Mucho (?) and definitely Mujer Latina at the end. Man, can Alex Paul move!! And Mitch was great too. Honestly, they sold this number so well, too. The take away from this night was that they absolutely excelled at playful, flirty numbers, to steal some adjectives from skatingfan04. What a great night!!
    Last edited by canadablue; 05-12-2014 at 01:50 AM.

  2. #282
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,563
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    So wonderful to hear the report.
    I have to think its nerves that they need to control.

  3. #283
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by canadablue View Post
    I was lucky enough to see this new number, too, and I also second everything that skatingfan04 said. Very much looking forward to your photos, Daniskates93, thank you!!

    It was steamy but classy, mature yet adorable... just perfection. I'm laughing that we just had a conversation here about their expression, because I must say even I was slightly taken aback at how perfectly at home they seemed in this type of number. I've never been a huge fan of the song, but my disappointment lasted only a few seconds because I was immediately captivated. The program contained their straightline and curve lift from this year's FD, and lots of the wonderful in-hold moments from both programs, as well as some of their classic romantic moves from previous programs. Their connection was just stunning, and honestly, I am so proud of them for trying something a little new! They absolutely nailed it. Cute, sexy, very confident but sophisticated. And I should also put in a word about their actual skating, because their ice coverage was insanely good, the program flowed beautifully. They were very warmly received too, which was nice to hear

    I'll also say a little bit about the group number they were in, choreographed by David Islam. It said "Caribbean" in the program, and then David tweeted that the theme was "Havana Nights". It was supposed to have P/I, G/P, R/H, Lauren Collins/ Danny Seymour, Hannah Whitley/Elliot Graham, Megan Koenig-Croft/Jake Richardson, Ekaterina Fedyushenko/Kaelen Dunker, Priya Ramesh/Brandon Labelle. I *think* what happened is that Danny's new partner, Yasmeen Jong, was the substitute, but she skated with Danny and Lauren skated with Asher. (Kharis was sick, if you haven't already read that elsewhere. I was very disappointed not to see them skate one last time, hope she feels better soon.) All the guys were in simple black, and Alex was wearing her Rumba SD dress. Some of it seemed a bit inspired by their SD, which was fun to see, it was such a lovely program, but that season was so riddled by disaster. Some really fun moments, and G/P and P/I did one side of the rumba pattern together. I think the music was Besame Mucho (?) and definitely Mujer Latina at the end. Man, can Alex Paul move!! And Mitch was great too. Honestly, they sold this number so well, too. The take away from this night was that they absolutely excelled at playful, flirty numbers, to steal some adjectives from skatingfan04. What a great night!!
    Thank you for going into more detail. I was beat last night (it's been a long week at work) and didn't elaborate as much as I wanted to. I couldn't have said any of this better than you did, though! i too am not a fan of the song, but that bothered me for about half a second. Seriously, I think this is a style they should really consider for a FD. Mix something like this with a jazzier piece and a bit of blues, and you've got yourself a heck of a dance.

    And thank you, Danielle, for the gorgeous photos. They're perfection, as usual!

    As far as I can remember, this is the version of the song they used (thank goodness, because the Marylin Monroe and Betty Boop versions made me cringe).

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF-r3VJhMm4
    Last edited by skatingfan04; 05-12-2014 at 04:45 AM.

  4. #284
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Seriously, I think this is a style they should really consider for a FD. Mix something like this with a jazzier piece and a bit of blues, and you've got yourself a heck of a dance.
    Agree with this so much. Blues would push them to perform more confidently, while still relying on their connection that focuses on each other more than the crowd, but it would also showcase off all of skating/dancing skills they already have beautifully. And as has been discussed, they shouldn't have been being penalized for the type of programs they've done, but pragmatically, I agree that it can only help with their scores to show they can do something bolder and quite different than what they've done.

    And thanks so much for finding the version of the song, that sounds right to me!

  5. #285

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    904
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Clarie, good to see you back...

    The one thing I think brings down this team is Mitch. He needs to add some vibrancy to his personality. He is in tough competition with Scott and Andrew and Poirier has a bubbly personality that translates differently onto the ice.

    I can see under K&C tutelage this is much improved. Love Alex's dress at Olys. Of course her lines are excellent and she definitely has Tessa's bearing. Would be nice if they can bring more of their own personality.
    Interesting comment because I actually feel that Alex is the less expressive of the two. She looks gorgeous but I feel like she only has two expressions - smiling of a slight 'o' face. I actually think Mitch is the more expressive/relaxed partner of the two. Where Mitch needs to improve IMO is his leg line through the foot but it has improved over the last couple of seasons. I thin Alex looks like she's really concentrating at times and I feel like she needs to skate bigger and more aggressively.

    On that note, I hope Team P&I have gotten the memo that subtlety and clean lines/skating is not wanted anymore by the ISU/judges in ice dance. They want to see speed, arm flailing, acting, flashy tricks, dramatic music, etc.

  6. #286

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    471
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1708
    Quote Originally Posted by canadablue View Post
    Agree with this so much. Blues would push them to perform more confidently, while still relying on their connection that focuses on each other more than the crowd, but it would also showcase off all of skating/dancing skills they already have beautifully. And as has been discussed, they shouldn't have been being penalized for the type of programs they've done, but pragmatically, I agree that it can only help with their scores to show they can do something bolder and quite different than what they've done.
    You know I've been rallying for that style for them for awhile now, but I'm so excited to hear that they demonstrated just how naturally that sort of approach could suit them. Thanks SO much for the detailed reports, canadablue and skatingfan04! And thank you for the photos so far, Danielle -- can't wait to see more! (But I especially can't wait to see the program in action, whenever that might be.)

  7. #287
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Carried over from the Margaret Garrison show thread:

    http://www.danielleearlphotography.com/f4423280

    Thanks for the gorgeous photos, Danielle!

  8. #288
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Any idea when the GP assignments are being announced? I know they came out around this time last year, but with the extended season I suspect they'll be later this time. Thankfully, we know P/I have 2 assignments, so it will be a less nerve-wracking wait this year.

    I really hope they get Skate Canada. That event seems like a good luck charm for them!

  9. #289

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,581
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Any idea when the GP assignments are being announced?
    June 27: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ncement-Thread

    Re-posting from a week ago (H/D fan thread):
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Pasquale Camerlengo took 4 of his dance teams (Hubbell/Donohue, Aldridge/Eaton, Olson/Lorello & Paul/Islam) out to a surprise breakfast recently (photo via Aldridge): http://instagram.com/p/oEJV9AjtlF/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  10. #290
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks so much for your pictures, Danielle, and skatingfan04 for linking them.

    A gloriously in-depth interview/article!

    http://www.twofortheice.com/lifted-b...o-foundations/

    I just love how much these two care about things like using dance holds and skating as one, no wonder they are so incredible at it! And looks like the new ex was a purposeful experiment, good for them. It sounds like they have exactly the right balance of confidence and knowing they can still improve. It feels like such a long time until next season... I am just so excited for where they are in their career right now.

  11. #291
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by canadablue View Post
    Thanks so much for your pictures, Danielle, and skatingfan04 for linking them.

    A gloriously in-depth interview/article!

    http://www.twofortheice.com/lifted-b...o-foundations/

    I just love how much these two care about things like using dance holds and skating as one, no wonder they are so incredible at it! And looks like the new ex was a purposeful experiment, good for them. It sounds like they have exactly the right balance of confidence and knowing they can still improve. It feels like such a long time until next season... I am so excited for where they are in their career right now.
    You took the words out of my mouth yet again!

    They just sound so good. What a wonderful change from interviews of the past, where they were trying to explain what had gone wrong. They sound so happy and confident, and most of all, motivated. It seems as though the success has really lit their fire, so to speak. They sound like they're just dying to keep competing and improving. These are obviously two very smart people. They don't have a skewed notion of themselves: they know exactly where there priorities lie, what their strengths are, and where they need to improve. I'm also glad that they're not expecing an unrealtic amount from themselves for next season. Moving up the ranks could very well be a gradual process, so it's nice to see them acknowledging it and not setting themselves up for failure. I'm just thrilled for them.

    And best of all: new lifts and choreograpic elements!

    So much to look forward to from them in the coming season.

  12. #292

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,470
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3806
    Thanks for posting the article canadablue. Great in depth article and of course, they are my new favorite team aside from V/M if they decide to continue. I'm really hoping they can stay healthy and continue to improve. I do believe they will be on the world podium some day.
    Addicted to FSU

  13. #293
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    More news!

    Looks like P/I are going to be participating in the COC's 2014 Celebration of Excellence next weekend!

    http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1354...-of-excellence

    I've provided the link above, but just to paraphrase, it seems to be an event beginning in Ottawa and spanning a number of cities in Alberta which involves many public appearances by Olympic athletes (hospitals, schools, etc), culminating in a gala where the 2014 Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame inductions will take place.

    Sounds amazing! I'm thinking we'll get a ton of press/photos from this event. The rest of the Olympic figure skating team is slated to appear as well!

  14. #294
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  15. #295

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    471
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1708
    Juuuuust tweeted by Mitch:

    SO excited to be back in Montreal working with two of our favourite people!! Going to be a fun week @alexandrapaul_
    Are they working with Dubreuil/Lauzon again?!

  16. #296
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    Juuuuust tweeted by Mitch:



    Are they working with Dubreuil/Lauzon again?!
    Gosh, I hope so. The last time they worked with D/L, they came out with their stunning Casablanca free dance, and a ton of beautiful elements. D/L are very, very good at two things: coming up with unique, awesome lifts (I believe Patrice created many of the lifts that D/L were famous for) and being passionate, engaging performers. P/I could benefit from both of those (though I felt their lifts were stunning this past season, coming up with some new ones never hurts). Besides, working with multiple choreographers sounds like a good way for a young team like P/I who are still developing in many ways to learn. I'm excited!

  17. #297
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    And now for some off season cuteness...

    http://olympic.ca/2014/06/23/pharrel...ympic-version/

  18. #298
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Some news:

    The initial entry list for the 2014 Thornhill Summer Skate has been posted. As of yet, Paul & Islam are not on the list, but registration is still ongoing, so I'm hoping that they end up attending. The event page can be found here:

    http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...ER.html#SUMMER

    Also, the ISU announced yesterday that Barrie, Onatrio will be hosting a Senior B event this coming October called the Skate Canada Autumn Classic International. It's part of the ISU's new Challenger Series. As far as I can tell, the event will allow skaters to accumulate ISU points and try to achieve the minimum TES requirements for the season. There's some info in the document posted below:

    http://static.isu.org/media/153457/1...4-congress.pdf

  19. #299
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,188
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Nice that it will be in Barrie.

    The Challenger Series, described in more detail in this thread is a sub-set of Senior B's that have more stringent requirements for number of participants and judges and number of countries represented for each than regular Senior B's and must have at least three disciplines and be held before the end of the calendar year. Like at all other Senior B's meeting the regular Senior B requirements, TES minimums can be earned there and the Top 5 receive WS ranking points, but CS events are worth more ranking points. In addition, up to the two top scores/skater in these events will be totaled, and the skaters with the top three totals in each discipline will be awarded a prize in Swiss francs.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  20. #300
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,563
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Some news:

    The initial entry list for the 2014 Thornhill Summer Skate has been posted. As of yet, Paul & Islam are not on the list, but registration is still ongoing, so I'm hoping that they end up attending. The event page can be found here:

    http://www.skatecanada-centralontari...ER.html#SUMMER

    Also, the ISU announced yesterday that Barrie, Onatrio will be hosting a Senior B event this coming October called the Skate Canada Autumn Classic International. It's part of the ISU's new Challenger Series. As far as I can tell, the event will allow skaters to accumulate ISU points and try to achieve the minimum TES requirements for the season. There's some info in the document posted below:

    http://static.isu.org/media/153457/1...4-congress.pdf
    Good to see Nam and Roman skate. Have seen others there from time to time. I hope Gabby Daleman skates as well.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •