Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    73
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Did Virtue & Moir live up to your expectations

    I remember back in 2009 and 2010 many predicting Virtue & Moir would become the best dance team ever (which some do now think they are, but I don't think that is the widespread consensus). Robin Cousins even went as far as to say they could make people entirely forget about Torvill & Dean. Did they live up to your expectations. They obviously achieved amazing things, and remained great skaters for 4 more years following their Olympic win, adding 2 more world titles, a whole bunch of medals, and contributed some interesting programs to their repertoire. However did they make the impact you thought they would. Did they have the number of signature programs, or the discipline defining impact you thought they would. Then eventually being overtaken and even dominated by their rivals Davis & White at the end of their career, even if some of their fans blame this on bad judging. So now with their career likely over did they live up to your expecatations.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    I believe they lived up to my expectations and then some. They have ruined Carmen for me to see anyone else skate to it. I totally loved how they took an old warhorse and flipped it on its side using techniques that is seldom used by others. They have awed me with staying true to their skating, regardless of how they were scored. They are what many other dancers hope/wish to become and/or achieve. They have shown that they skate to pretty much anything and elevate to another level. They are the real deal with it comes to marrying dance and ice skating.
    Crazy about sports!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Isn't this thread a little premature? They haven't retired yet.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    109
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    They are THE best ice dance team of the generation. End of.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,620
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8583
    I didn't have expectations but wrt a torville and dean comparison - or gritshuk and platov, K&p, and a few others .... I think almost all of the last crop of skaters look like kids in an interpretive sense relative to what the 80s and 90s skaters did. I think hurtado and Diaz made a splash because they brought a program interpretation with sophistication back into the scene.
    What would Jenny do?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,729
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    If we are talking just about medals - maybe no, because in 2010 i thought this will be 4 years all about VM. From the other hand maybe this made competition more interesting for publick, when all the time you have illusion of close competition.
    As for programs. Latin FD, Carmen are in my list of best programs in ice dance. Dream a little Dream - best dance with SD concept. But wish to see VM under another coaches (DL) and with programs from Buttle, Lambiel, Dean (maybe they will do this in there pro-skating).
    Hurtado and Diaz are team, who show, what DL wanted to say to the publick, but didn't have time, so it's very interesting to see, what they could to do during this 4 years. Love there FD this season so much.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,312
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    No. I don't pay attention to a lot of ice dance, but I was super amped for the Olympics because it was like, yes, I'm going to see both these dance teams that are the best in the world!

    And then V/M skated...and I was so disappointed. They seemed to have no connection to the music, no story to their dance.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    643
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    When V/M first started and there were all those comparisons to Torvill/Dean, honestly I never quite "got it." Because V/M didn't have that kind of impact on me. The first time I saw them at 2007 Worlds, I was very impressed. I thought they were really smooth, and had a lovely program, and were kind of different from a lot of the top teams. But I didn't have this immediate feeling of destiny, like they were going to be the greatest of all time. Mahler didn't sweep me away, as it did for most people. It took me a long time to really "get" and appreciate V/M. I think I understand now what other people see in them. Their career (so far) kind of speaks for itself. It's been phenomenal, and yet at the same time disappointing in the later years. I don't think, in the end, they quite fulfilled their initial promise.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    73
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by forthewin View Post
    They are THE best ice dance team of the generation. End of.
    Even that is very much debated at this point.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,053
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    No. I don't pay attention to a lot of ice dance, but I was super amped for the Olympics because it was like, yes, I'm going to see both these dance teams that are the best in the world!

    And then V/M skated...and I was so disappointed. They seemed to have no connection to the music, no story to their dance.
    It shows you don't pay attention to ice dancing I think with time, people will learn to appreciate what V/M have done to the sport, will have a better perspective. Now there are some people are too proud to admit that they are a once in a generation team, the team of the decade. It is going to be awhile until we get another great team like them.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,643
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Oh hurray, yet another "poke at/bring out the uber fans" thread!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-15-2014 at 07:28 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I just don't see how this can be even in doubt?

    2014 - Olympic Winter Games - 2nd
    2014 - Olympic Winter Games - 2nd (Team)
    2014 - Canadian Championships - 1st
    2013 - Grand Prix Final - 2nd
    2013 - Trophee Bompard - 1st
    2013 - Skate Canada - 1st
    2013 - Finlandia Trophy - 1st
    2013 - World Championships - 2nd
    2013 - Four Continents Championships - 2nd
    2013 - Canadian Championships - 1st
    2012 - Grand Prix Final - 2nd
    2012 - Rostelecom Cup - 1st
    2012 - Skate Canada - 1st
    2012 - World Team Trophy - 3rd (team)
    2012 - World Championships - 1st
    2012 - Four Continents Championships - 1st
    2012 - Canadian Championships - 1st
    2011 - Grand Prix Final - 2nd
    2011 - Trophee Eric Bompard - 1st
    2011 - Skate Canada - 1st
    2011 - Finlandia Trophy - 1st
    2011 - World Championships - 2nd
    2010 - World Championships - 1st
    2010 - Olympic Winter Games - 1st
    2010 - Canadian Championships - 1st
    2009 - Grand Prix Final - 2nd
    2009 - Trophee Eric Bompard - 1st
    2009 - Skate Canada - 1st
    2009 - World Team Trophy - 2nd (team)
    2009 - World Championships - 3rd
    2009 - Four Continents Championships - 2nd
    2009 - Canadian Championships - 1st
    2008 - World Championships - 2nd
    2008 - Four Continents Championships - 1st
    2008 - Canadian Championships - 1st
    2007 - Grand Prix Final - 4th
    2007 - NHK Trophy - 2nd
    2007 - Skate Canada - 1st
    2007 - World Championships - 6th
    2007 - Four Continents Championships - 3rd
    2007 - Canadian Championships - 2nd
    2006 - Trophee Eric Bompard - 4th
    2006 - Skate Canada - 2nd
    2006 - World Junior Championships - 1st
    2006 - Four Continents Championship - 3rd
    2006 - Canadian Championships - 3rd
    2005 - Junior Grand Prix Final - 1st
    2005 - Junior Grand Prix (Canada) - 1st
    2005 - Junior Grand Prix (Andorra) - 1st
    2005 - World Junior Championships - 2nd
    2005 - Canadian Championships - 4th
    2004 - Junior Grand Prix Final - 2nd
    2004 - Junior Grand Prix (China) - 1st
    2004 - Junior Grand Prix (France) - 2nd
    2004 - World Junior Championships - 11th
    2004 - Canadian Championships, Junior - 1st
    2003 - Junior Grand Prix (Croatia) - 4th
    2003 - Junior Grand Prix (Slovakia) - 6th
    2003 - Canadian Championships, Junior - 7th

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,053
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I believe they lived up to my expectations and then some. They have ruined Carmen for me to see anyone else skate to it. I totally loved how they took an old warhorse and flipped it on its side using techniques that is seldom used by others. They have awed me with staying true to their skating, regardless of how they were scored. They are what many other dancers hope/wish to become and/or achieve. They have shown that they skate to pretty much anything and elevate to another level. They are the real deal with it comes to marrying dance and ice skating.
    I think V/M have "ruined" other skaters for me. I cannot watch old performances from the 90s (even compulsory dances!)without thinking "wow VM have better edges and lines!" This sport has evolved so much.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    fall, glorious fall
    Posts
    1,652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I just think that there is more that they could still do... show programs just don't do anything for me (from pretty much everybody), so i"d love to see them stay a bit longer, but I understand if they don't.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,385
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    They could and should have been 2 times olympic gold medalists. They are brilliant in all aspects of ice dance, not only in technic like Davis/White. Their Carmen was a masterpiece, it's a pitty they didn't have such a brilliant program for the last Olympics.
    But merit is not only all about medals. Drobviasko/Vanagas had got no title (maybe an European one ?) but are more remembered IMO than skaters like Navka/Kostomarov. And V/M are world champions and olympic gold medalists still !

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Paname
    Posts
    4,445
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3717
    Nope.
    They never went to search for who they were artistically speaking and thus there are too few programs of theirs I'll remember. Carmen will probably be the only one.

    and no their edges are not on par with edges of the 90s and early 00s. Ice dance, in that area, has regressed A LOT. Sad, but true
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    37
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    227
    Yes, and then some! I never liked ice dance before Tessa and Scott. They both seem like very nice people as well which makes me like them even more

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,053
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Nope.
    They never went to search for who they were artistically speaking and thus there are too few programs of theirs I'll remember. Carmen will probably be the only one.

    and no their edges are not on par with edges of the 90s and early 00s. Ice dance, in that area, has regressed A LOT. Sad, but true
    If only we can go back to the 6.0 days am I right? Poor kids watching Ice Dance these days, they missed out Everything was so much better then!
    Last edited by parapluies; 07-16-2014 at 08:13 PM.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    73
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    I think V/M have "ruined" other skaters for me. I cannot watch old performances from the 90s (even compulsory dances!)without thinking "wow VM have better edges and lines!" This sport has evolved so much.
    An interesting comment given that V&M's unmatching leg lines in the compulsory dances are the main thing I remember from them. Even if you think V&M are the greatest free dancers ever there is no way their CDs are close Gritschuk & Platov, Klimova & Ponomarenko, a prime Torvill & Dean (84 version, not 94 version of course), probably even Usova & Zhulin, Krylova 7 Ovsiannikov, Navka & Kostomarov, and some others at their best. They were dominated by Delobel & Schoenfelder in compulsories for years, and they couldn't even beat a badly injured/shadow of their old selves Domnina & Shabalin in the CD at their all time peak in Canada in Vancouver.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,053
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joubertelegant View Post
    An interesting comment given that V&M's unmatching leg lines in the compulsory dances are the main thing I remember from them. Even if you think V&M are the greatest free dancers ever there is no way their CDs are close Gritschuk & Platov, Klimova & Ponomarenko, a prime Torvill & Dean (84 version, not 94 version of course), probably even Usova & Zhulin, Krylova 7 Ovsiannikov, Navka & Kostomarov, and some others at their best. They were dominated by Delobel & Schoenfelder in compulsories for years, and they couldn't even beat a badly injured/shadow of their old selves Domnina & Shabalin in the CD at their all time peak in Canada in Vancouver.
    Your mistake is thinking V/M have peaked when they haven't, when they have improved so much since their win in Vancouver. As others have mentioned in this thread it would be great to see more of them, for them to come back to competition, but whether they chose to retire or not, they have already made their mark on the sport & as time passes by their impact will be more evident than it is now. Methinks the sole purpose is just to poke fun at ubers, as Sylvia has said.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •