Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Samuelson & Bates- what if they stayed together?

Had Samuelson & Bates stayed together how would they be doing now. The Shibutanis who are now below Chock & Bates won a World medal in this time. Could S&B have climbed to a possible bronze in either 2012 or 2013. Would they be the U.S #2 now as Chock & Bates are? I believe Emily is a superior skater to Madison, and has better chemistry with Evan as a team too.

I wonder if their split up was in part due to the Shibutanis bronze while they were out, and they feared they wouldnt be able to compete against them unless being in a new parternship, or atleast Evan did.

vCash
    Samuelson/Bates were 11th in Vancouver, only three of the currently competing teams finished ahead of them: V/M, D/W (obviously) and P/B. I believe they had a great potential and would've stayed USA's #2 to this day. Possibly they would be among the bronze medal contenders this season, of course assuming they would've been constantly improving like everyone else.

Emily was such a star. Never understood why they had to split It's so sad to think such a great talent got wasted because there was no suitable partner for her.

vCash
    I'll admit I'm prejudice as I adore Emily. I always thought S/B were such a good team that if they continued to improve, they would have eventually been on the world and olympic podiums. Why Evan dumped Emily is beyond my comprehension and especially to skate with Chock, a far inferior skater. Also, as a pair, C/B do not match. Their height difference is very distracting to me.

vCash
    They were a nice team with great lines, boring programs and questionable chemistry. Emily is/was a knockout but like Madison overshadowed her partner in terms of expression. Who knows what they could have accomplished, but if both aren't committed to the partnership then there really is no point in continuing.

JMO

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm still heartbroken over S/B splitting
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I didn't really care for them while they were skating, and now I regret that. They had boring programs and I hated the muzak they tended to use, but they were such a quality team. When they switched to Canton I was really excited, because their strong points were areas that D/W have always had room to improve in, and I think they really would have pushed D/W a lot. That could have been a great national rivalry. Also, the "American in Paris" FD they had planned for the 2010-2011 season sounded special. Would have loved to have seen it.
    Last edited by lmarie086; 11-07-2013 at 12:42 AM.

vCash
    They were a nice team with great lines, boring programs and questionable chemistry.
    I would change boring programs to boring free dances. Some of their ODs were wonderfully entertaining and special. I am thinking especially of the "Let Yourself Go" OD where he was in the sailor outfit and the cowboy number they did for the folk OD in 2010. The FDs were usually too abstract to capture me - just bodies moving to generic classical music. (I guess I don't really know - if those dances did have stories or characters, I failed to understand them.)

I loved Emily's leg extension and pointed toes.

I agree Chock is less skilled. IMO her main contribution seems to be over the top costumes and exaggerated facial expressions. I agree they don't look as good together as Sam/Bates, but they are still a comparatively new partnership and have looked better each year.

vCash
    Oh , I can still feel the knife twisting ! The first time I saw S/B, I thought these guys could be world champions ,in future. The had a certain something.. a unique look and at the same time well matched.

I can't see the same promise in C/B..and I'm not fond of all the riding on his boots because of the size differential.. gets boring quickly...

I still feel robbed of what might have been.

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Had they stayed together I wouldn't feel the urge to punch something everytime I see Evan Bates skating with Madison Chock.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    Had they stayed together I wouldn't feel the urge to punch something everytime I see Evan Bates skating with Madison Chock.
    This is me. I will never like Chock/Bates. I just don't see their skating ever gelling effortlessly like other teams.

It's just a shame such a wonderful dancer like Emily can't find a partner.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    AFAIK, at this point she's not looking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    Exactly. It feels like a bad breakup, I've taken sides and Chock is the other woman. Ugh!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    I don't think it would have worked out if they stayed together. There wasn't a lot of chemistry, there was little height difference and they didn't seem to be making a lot of progress.

Blergh
    vCash
    I think people were too quick to blame Madison for the break-up and make her out to be "the other woman." Do people really know what happened between Emily and Evan? I know Emily has a lot of fans here and she was an excellent ice dancer, but we don't know if the relationship would have stalled for reasons outside her superior skill level. I understand people need someone to blame and every story needs a villain, but really...
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I don't think it would have worked out if they stayed together. There wasn't a lot of chemistry, there was little height difference and they didn't seem to be making a lot of progress.
    Not a lot of progress? They were firmly on track to be the #2 US team once B/A retired and aquitted themselves very respectably at the 2010 Olys.

I don't see Chock as "the other woman", but I wasn't a fan of hers with Zuerlin and think this partnership was a step down in many ways for Evan Bates. I do wonder what would have happened if Evan hadn't had to sit out an entire season due to injury - if their momentum had continued, I find it likely they'd have stayed together, but if it had stalled after the Olys, perhaps they would have ended up splitting anyway.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    Oh , I can still feel the knife twisting ! The first time I saw S/B, I thought these guys could be world champions ,in future. The had a certain something.. a unique look and at the same time well matched.

I can't see the same promise in C/B..and I'm not fond of all the riding on his boots because of the size differential.. gets boring quickly...

I still feel robbed of what might have been.
    I felt the same way when I first saw S/B and also feel robbed of what might have been.

I think if they'd stayed together, they might have very well been the US #1 by now. They were extremely well-matched and had incredible basic dancing and skating skills. They just needed the right vehicles to showcase those skating and dancing abilities off to the judges.

vCash
    Same here... they were so great together. Her gorgeousness and style covered for his dorkiness, they blended together into a stylish TEAM. Whereas though I have come to like C/B too (certainly not as much yet, and I will always hold a grudge against Evan) they are more like a dork and a charmer, they dont hang together lookswise.

Sorry about the "dork" but Evan really needs a bit of a makeover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    Exactly. It feels like a bad breakup, I've taken sides and Chock is the other woman. Ugh!
    This is part of the issue; it seems that Madison Chock and Caydee Denney will always be the demons while Emily and Caitlin will go down as "saints" who were viciously abandoned by their partners. I have a feeling the story in both cases lies well in the middle. Personally, I really like Chock and Bates and want to see them on the Olympic team more than the Shibs (for the record, I just plain find them boring, and I've found several ice dancers and dance coaches in my area feel the same way).
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Blergh
    vCash
    I rather have the Shibs than a lot of other teams, so it's ok.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I dont care who makes the Olympic team behind Davis & White as long as Hubbel & Donohue make it. Couldn't care less whether Chock & Bates or Shibutanis make it, and wouldn't mind if neither do. Don't much like either team.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast