Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Only if they're cone heads.

INTJ
    vCash
    The gloves most skaters wear don't do a damn thing. I've cut myself many times through my gloves (mostly from wiping my blades). The cuts that happen are very mild and really aren't a problem.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    I am catching my foot in spiral and I have never cut myself. I think it depends where/how you are trying to grab the blade.
    But where is it going to stop? If you start making gloves compulsory, the next step will be helmets compulsory and then we may as well forbid jumping, because it is dangerous and one can injure himself/herself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    Talking about injuries, it seems that being a competitive figure skater is almost certainly bad for your health.
    Doing any competitive sport is very bad for your health. You're putting extreme pressure on your body on a daily basis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    In terms of risk with the sport, it is probably on the lower scale. There could be a concern about transfer of blood born diseases and preventing that happening is something to consider. So gloves would reduce the risk to negligible. But at the end of the day a skater would decide themselves.
    I wonder how to protect the skaters from that if a skater has nose bleed (Kostner last year at worlds, or Nagasu in the past at worlds) and then the next skater is going to skate and may fall at the same place on the ice...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I wonder how to protect the skaters from that if a skater has nose bleed (Kostner last year at worlds, or Nagasu in the past at worlds) and then the next skater is going to skate and may fall at the same place on the ice...
    Did they not clean the ice between skaters when there were trails of blood? When a local hockey game resulted in lots of blood all over the ice (the guy bashed his nose), they stopped for a few minutes to scrape the blood off. I thought most sports had rules about needing to clean the field of play if there is blood.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    Talking about injuries, it seems that being a competitive figure skater is almost certainly bad for your health. I have heard from at least one coach and read elsewhere that the overemphasis on Biellman/catchfoot positions increases back injury and vertebral stress fractures. The overemphasis on quads ... well, we all know about that. Hip injury is not a new story either. Now with the way lifts are judged in ice dancing, male partners are increasingly suffer from neck injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Catchfoots/Biellmans etc are unnatural. We have young skaters stretching themselves into unnatural positions as a matter of training, putting too much stress on growing bodies. IMO the rewards for gumbiness in IJS is extremely harmful to skaters. It's a way bigger problem than a cut hand.

Plus, to me, those positions are largely ugly to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I'd think the possible increase of back injuries in non-flexible men who are practically required to do a catchfoot is much more of a concern...
    Agree, agree, agree!

Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    All skater should be bubble wrapped. The more bubbles popped, the higher the level of difficulty. The less bubbles popped, the higher the grade of execution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12