Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Best post-Olympic Worlds skate by a non-Olympic skater?

In Olympic year Worlds there have been many skaters who couldn't make it to the Olympics. Which one of them has had the best Worlds? I suspect someone might have won a medal right after missing Olympics, but I can't think of any.

vCash
    The highest finish for a non-Olympian in the ladies' event at an Olympic year Worlds that I can think of is Yukari Nakano's in 2006, which was fifth. Marina Kiellmann finished fourth at 1994 Worlds despite not competing in Norway the month before, but she'd been to two Olympics already.

ETA: Ellen Brockhöft (1924) and Megan Taylor (1936) won World silver medals in years in which they weren't Olympic competitors. Brockhöft did compete in St. Moritz in 1928, however, and Taylor skated at Lake Placid in 1932.

The most successful non-Olympian in the ladies' event at Worlds was Lily Kronberger, who won the 1908 title nine months before the first Olympic competition in her discipline was held in London.
    Last edited by falling_dance; 11-14-2013 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    Vyacheslav Zagorodnyuk won bronze at 1994 Worlds without having competed at that year's Olympics (had competed at 1992 Olympics though).

Evgeny Plyushenko won bronze at 1998 Worlds, ditto.

Other non-medal good results that come to mind are Mark Mitchell's 5th place at 1992 Worlds and Andrejs Vlascenko's 5th in 1998 (had competed at 1994 Olympics, representing a different country).

I'd have to think harder or research to come up with examples from other disciplines or other decades.

vCash
    Nobunari Oda didn't go to Torino but went on to finish 4th in Calgary in 2006.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Vyacheslav Zagorodnyuk won bronze at 1994 Worlds without having competed at that year's Olympics (had competed at 1992 Olympics though).
    Ukraine had only one slot for men that year, and it went to Viktor Petrenko.

Similarly, the return of the two great Russian pairs took 2 of the 3 available spots, keeping Yeltsova & Bushkov from Russia's Olympic team. They went on to win bronze at 94 Worlds.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Plushenko. He doesn't go to Olympics, is last-minute sub for Kulik at Worlds, wins bronze in competition, wins hearts of fans in exhibition. All at 15 yrs of age. Yep I say he was very successful that season :-)
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    ^^ Was he wearing a mostly white outfit for his LP that season? I've been trying to remember when the first time was I saw him in a comp.

vCash
    I fondly remember Tonia Kwiatkowski's perfomances @1998 Worlds. I felt sad for her that she didn't make the US Olympic Team, but was thrilled that she got to go to Worlds. Some judges marked her quite harshly in the short program, but she finished 6th (and I wonder if she might have finished even higher had those same judges not marked her so low in the sp).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    ^^ Was he wearing a mostly white outfit for his LP that season? I've been trying to remember when the first time was I saw him in a comp.
    No, in 1998 and 1999, it was a black one with silver chest, to Jean-Michel Jarre.
    The white one was in 2000, to russian music.

vCash
    Alice Sue Claeys didn't go to the 92 Olympics but did pretty well at the 92 Worlds (somewhere in the top 10 I think).

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    7th, I think. I wonder what happened to Alice Sue; she looked set to be a European medallist in 1993, and then it just didn't happen. I don't think I ever heard of her again.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I fondly remember Tonia Kwiatkowski's perfomances @1998 Worlds. I felt sad for her that she didn't make the US Olympic Team, but was thrilled that she got to go to Worlds. Some judges marked her quite harshly in the short program, but she finished 6th (and I wonder if she might have finished even higher had those same judges not marked her so low in the sp).
    She was not marked harshly in the SP. She missed the combination, a very costly mistake, so ended up 8th in the short program, behind mostly clean or nearly clean performances. Slutskaya and Butyrskaya were the only other two skaters who made a major error and finished above her, but they are better skaters and athletes than she is, so that was expected. Szewcenko and Gusmeroli had one major error as well and were even placed behind her in 9th and 10th, which honestly probably would have never happened had Worlds been held anywhere else. Had she done a clean combination jump she would have been 2nd in the short program, and had a chance at a medal. She blew the great opportunity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    7th, I think. I wonder what happened to Alice Sue; she looked set to be a European medallist in 1993, and then it just didn't happen. I don't think I ever heard of her again.
    She won the silver at 1992 Skate Canada and competed at US Nats in 1996, finishing tenth. She did finish in seventh place at 1992 Worlds (though Vanessa Riley would have given her the bronze medal).

ETA: I could be wrong about that last bit, though she did give her third-place marks in the free skate.
    Last edited by falling_dance; 11-17-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Had she done a clean combination jump she would have been 2nd in the short program, and had a chance at a medal.
    Beating Anna Rechnio's performance? Not a chance,
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Michelle Kwan in 1994 placed 8th, thus earning 2 spots for the US ladies for the next season.
    Bobek didn't make it out of qualifying.

vCash
    Beating Anna Rechnio's performance? Not a chance,
    The judges were never Rechnio fans. At the 99 Worlds she had a fabulous short program, even better than 98, and was placed a pathetic 6th when she should have again been 2nd. She was placed below Kwan and Malinina who had errors even. The only reason she was 2nd in the short was it was such a weak field, and the big names that were there all had mistakes. When does someone place 2nd in the short program at Worlds with several marks of 5.2 or 5.3. Yes I think Tonia might have been placed over her in the short with a clean skate, whether merited or not.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    On the contrary, a lot of the judges did like Rechnio. But she so rarely gave them the opportunity to mark her well. In the instance you're talking about, she double-footed the lutz in the SP; otherwise it's pretty certain she would have received higher marks. As for the year before (1998), she skated perfectly cleanly and with great panache and power, two things Tonia could not claim to have. Anyway JJ, I'm not going to get into a "Yes, she would" - "No, she wouldn't" argument, either with you or one of your pseuds. You or pseudo-you can have the last word, if you think that makes your case stronger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I was at that event and I agree. First skater to come to mind when I saw this thread topic.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Back around the late-90's I posted on another board and had asked a question about what happened to Alice Sue, and she actually emailed me a very nice message back (at least the person said she was Alice Sue ). I remember she said she had an injury that pretty much ended her skating career (I think it was ankle, but may have been back ... can't remember now).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Michelle Kwan in 1994 placed 8th, thus earning 2 spots for the US ladies for the next season.
    Bobek didn't make it out of qualifying.
    This is the first one I thought of when I saw the thread title. Pretty impressive under the circumstances (IMO), considering that she was only 13 at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast