Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash

Is Gracie Gold's smile too broad?

No, I'm being serious. If she could just reel it back in about a quarter way, then she wouldn't alienate so many people and become more personable-- and you know what that means: $$$$. Her face cheeks are quite muscular-looking when she smiles, like Shirley Temple's during her heyday-- cute on a 5 year old, not on an 18 year old. I think she's more attractive when she has a vacant look on her face.

What do you guys think?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplimentsFrom View Post
    No, I'm being serious. If she could just reel it back in about a quarter way, then she wouldn't alienate so many people and become more personable-- and you know what that means: $$$$. Her face cheeks are quite muscular-looking when she smiles, like Shirley Temple's during her heyday-- cute on a 5 year old, not on an 18 year old. I think she's more attractive when she has a vacant look on her face.

What do you guys think?
    I think you've got too much time on your hands.

vCash
    What sort of question is that? Seriously?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    As a broad smiler myself, I hate when people say my smile is fake. It's my smile and when I perform it's even bigger.

I like Gracie's smile, but if she is willing to try different ones, I think we'd need a poll

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    What sort of question is that? Seriously?
    Hey, I'm just looking out for Gracie, after all the crap she's gone through the last couple of weeks.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    As a broad smiler myself, I hate when people say my smile is fake. It's my smile and when I perform it's even bigger.

I like Gracie's smile, but if she is willing to try different ones, I think we'd need a poll
    So during the performance, your coach doesn't tell you to try out different smiles to see which one is best for a particular program. Cause a Rodgers&Hammerstein smile is different from a Gershwin smile, you know that, right?

Banned Member
    vCash
    ...And I'm not saying that Gracie's smile is fake; of course when you take any picture-- let alone promotional photographs-- you have to put on a smile, I just wish she would put on the "I'm hungry and I don't care" Italian Vogue look in her pictures. Otherwise, she will be labeled as just another beauty queen with racist tendencies by her detractors.

vCash
    A smile is a smile is a smile. It's natural for her. I don't understand the big kerfuffle.

vCash
    So during the performance, your coach doesn't tell you to try out different smiles to see which one is best for a particular program. Cause a Rodgers&Hammerstein smile is different from a Gershwin smile, you know that, right?
    I smile my smile. I'd won't pull faces to pleasant vs. cheesy music. But the basic smile is just one thing. I'm not a Disney princess being someone else and needing their smile. I think Gracie should do the same. Her smile is her smile. I can't believe this is a real thread.

(As for trying other smiles no, no coach has said that. In both dance and synchro coaches coaches have always complimented me for smiling and on my expression. )

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    A smile is a smile is a smile. It's natural for her. I don't understand the big kerfuffle.
    It's not a big kerfuffle. I just want what's best for the girl. I think she has been unfairly maligned by a certain sect who doesn't care for her one way or another. Well, to be a top-class athlete/ performer, you have to be. I just want her also to capitalize on the situation, financially. She does live in a capitalist world, doesn't she? And a figure skater's life, as far as a steady source of income goes, isn't all what it's cracked up to be. So get it while the getting's good. I still want her to smile, but smile efficiently.

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Well...the thread starter has a point. I remember being all "ROFL?! WTF?!" before the medal ceremony at Skate Canada when Gracie was announced as the bronze medal winner and the camera was on her before the announcement and she was all sulky but as soon as her name was called, this HUGE beauty-pageant-smile appeared on her face. It was really a matter of one second when she turned from to and she stayed like that for the whole ceremony
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

Banned Member
    vCash
    I smile my smile. I'd won't pull faces to pleasant vs. cheesy music. But the basic smile is just one thing. I'm not a Disney princess being someone else and needing their smile. I think Gracie should do the same. Her smile is her smile. I can't believe this is a real thread.

"I'd won't pull faces to pleasant vs. cheesy music." ...I'm sorry, then you are not a performer. You think Ethel Merman was being herself when she was performing??

You see, it's one thing if your genuine smile is radiate enough, it's another thing if it is blinding people.

vCash
    For many pulling faces is a natural reaction. I'm not being fake when I do it. That's how I express myself when I skate (or more appropriately dance since my skating is limited). If I were elite I'm sure I'd be mocked on fsu. But I don't pull those faces in a pleasant program. Not sure why you think this makes me not a performer. Perhaps you misread or I didn't write correctly, my face changes with the music but my smile really doesn't. I'm happy eith my facial expressions. I get comments every test from judges on performance.

My point is that a smile like Gracie's is not necessarily fake when she performs. And plastering it on for a medal ceremony still doesn't mean it is fake, though perhaps she'd rather not be 'on'. Of all the things to work on, I don't think smiling is her problem.

Oh and if you look up Ethel Merman on Wikipedia, you'll see a picture of her at a typewriter with a smile similar to when she sang (as herself, not a character) so she was a natural smiler. I don't think hers were put on either.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 11-19-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    For many pulling faces is a natural reaction. I'm not being fake when I do it. That's how I express myself when I skate (or more appropriately dance since my skating is limited). If I were elite I'm sure I'd be mocked on fsu. But I don't pull those faces in a pleasant program. Not sure why you think this makes me not a performer. Perhaps you misread or I didn't write correctly, my face changes with the music but my smile really doesn't.

My point is that a smile like Gracie's is not necessarily fake when she performs. And plastering it on for a medal ceremony still doesn't mean it is fake, though perhaps she'd rather not be 'on'
    Good god, you have a lot to learn, my child. Of course if you can't skate as well as Michelle Kwan, you have to pull faces like Slutskaya from time to time, yes?

Especially in dance, you don't think Meryl freakin' Davis doesn't practice facial contortions to appropriate the right smile for "I Could've Danced All Night"? HEED: Lose the self-centeredness, and give yourself up to skating (and all it entails).

vCash
    Hey, I'm just looking out for Gracie, after all the crap she's gone through the last couple of weeks.
    So you post a thread commenting on a skater's appearance. Well if that ain't dishing out crap ......
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Banned Member
    vCash
    So you post a thread commenting on a skater's appearance. Well if that ain't dishing out crap ......
    Not appearance per se, but more a projected personality.

vCash
    Not appearance per se, but more a projected personality.
    Doesn't matter. You are still dishing out crap on a skater based on whatever criteria you choose. Bit hypocritical if you ask me.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Doesn't matter. You are still dishing out crap on a skater based on whatever criteria you choose. Bit hypocritical if you ask me.
    Again, I work in public relations, I just want what's best for Gracie. Of course we people may be perceived as the most superficial scoundrels who is enamored with putting up the most P-C fronts for our clients, but that is my craft and that is what I am paid to do. Of course this is pro bono work I'm doing at the moment. I just want to help Gracie out, especially after all those bullshit allegations of racism that were heaped on here during the past week.
    Last edited by ComplimentsFrom; 11-19-2013 at 04:11 AM.

vCash
    Don't quit your day job.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast