Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

2014 Olympic 'Team Skating' Qualifying - 12 Nations Were in the Running; Ten Made It!

Opening article in an updated weekly series on 2014 Olympic 'Team Skating' Qualification process...

Canada, USA, Russia Leading Olympic Team Qualifications; Top 10 Teams Determined

Olympic ‘Team Skating’ Qualifying – (Update 1 following Skate Canada results): Oh, Canada! Canada’s Lead Grows, Top 5 Unchanged, Germany Makes Move

During the coming weeks as the ISU Grand Prix Series unfolds, there will be additional qualifying points updates and informative articles delving into the new Olympic "Team Skating" format that is set up in the ISU Qualification System for XXII Olympic Winter Games, Sochi 2014 Annex A – Olympic Figure Skating Team Event .pdf document.

It is the purpose of Author Patrick Ryan and Blazing Blades to provide an informative and clear understanding of how the new event has been constructed and will unfold in Sochi. We'll discuss the configuration of the team event format and it's rules which we hope will provide skating fans with maximum viewing enjoyment come Feb 6, 2014 when it all unfolds before us. - Peter Murray, Editor - Blazing Blades
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Thanks for posting that, Visaliakid, this is the event I've been looking forward to the most!

And with Julia L. quickly becoming the next Tara Lipinski, Russia now has a chance to win it all! Or at least a Team Medal of any color, thereby helping teammate Evgeni Plushenko (knock on wood) to become the first figure skater in history to tie Gillis Grafstrom in number of Olympic Medals won. *shivers*

vCash
    For each discipline and segment placement points will be awarded as follows:
    1st10 placement points
    2nd 9 placement points
    3rd 8 placement points
    4th 7 placement points
    5th 6 placement points
    6th 5 placement points
    7th 4 placement points
    8th 3 placement points
    9th 2 placement points
    10th 1 placement point.
    The 5 Teams ranked 1 to 5 based on the number of aggregate placement points shall continue the Figure Skating Team Event by competing in the Free Skating/Free Dance.
    I don't understand scoring. Short programs are much more important. If Volosozhar/Trankov get 10 points for short program (first) and then Stolbova/Klimov finish 5th place in the free (last) they will have still total 16 point.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Yes. It sounds like you do understand the scoring.

It is very likely that Russia, Canada, and the US will be in the finals, with two of France, Japan, China, and Italy. The SP is critical, because there are five countries that won't make the finals but who can be spoilers by putting space between the eventual finalists' placements in the SP/SD. Also, there may be finalists without a Pairs team, so that the last place team in the SP will get 2 or 3 points, not 1. However, by upping the points for the 4th and 5th place team in the FS/FD, they make the results after the SP/SD less of a foregone conclusion and, theoretically the incentive is to get the best skaters to skate the FS/FD.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Yes. It sounds like you do understand the scoring.

It is very likely that Russia, Canada, and the US will be in the finals, with two of France, Japan, China, and Italy. The SP is critical, because there are five countries that won't make the finals but who can be spoilers by putting space between the eventual finalists' placements in the SP/SD. Also, there may be finalists without a Pairs team, so that the last place team in the SP will get 2 or 3 points, not 1. However, by upping the points for the 4th and 5th place team in the FS/FD, they make the results after the SP/SD less of a foregone conclusion and, theoretically the incentive is to get the best skaters to skate the FS/FD.
    I actually think Italy could do well....

vCash
    Noooooooooooo we lost to the Poms again

And no chance to make it up because there are no Australians on the Grand Prix and none of our lovely juniors made the JGPF
    Last edited by misskarne; 10-28-2013 at 02:34 AM.

vCash
    So teams can't close to gap at the free program. All teams least going to get 6 points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Noooooooooooo we lost to the Poms again

And no chance to make it up because there are no Australians on the Grand Prix and none of our lovely juniors made the JGPF
    Ummm.... If the Australian skaters are not competitive enough to make the GP/Jr GP circuit, why are you crying that they don't make the Olympic team event? Oh Gawd, I'm in a b*tchy mood today...

vCash
    I am not sure that the top 10 teams have been determined (as the headline in the first article says) have they?
    Spain still has Fernandez's big points coming in the GP , GPF and Europeans.
    Spain should be about 1150 , at least, from Worlds currently..so I expect them to move well up the list after GP's ( 400/360 for 1st/2nd) GPF and Euros.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    I am not sure that the top 10 teams have been determined (as the headline in the first article says) have they?
    Spain still has Fernandez's big points coming in the GP , GPF and Europeans.
    Spain should be about 1150 , at least, from Worlds currently..so I expect them to move well up the list after GP's ( 400/360 for 1st/2nd) GPF and Euros.
    Spain was never in the running in the first place.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    This analysis assumes that only the teams that have qualified three disciplines for Sochi are in the running, and that the appointed skater/team can be used only to fill in the fourth discipline. Spain would already be on the list in the Top 10 without any of Fernandez's GP points were countries qualifying two able to appoint a third, while the only 12 teams on the list were those who've qualified three or four disciplines. (Lafuente is very unlikely to qualify off the alternates list.)

One thing the announcement doesn't say explicitly is if a skater/team competes in the SD/SP, and the other skater(s)/team(s) from that country can't/won't compete, whether the team that skated is also banned from the individual event. If so, the country might not want to risk participating. Germany, while it has a lot of points to qualify for the event, mostly based on S/S results, won't be a contender for the finals, because S/S aren't skating -- even if they did, Germany is unlikely to be Top Five -- their Men and Ladies are comparatively weak, and their best Dance team likely to be around 6th-7th. UKR is in a similar boat, and it will be interesting to see of the British Olympic Committee even appoints a Man. Any country might decide it's best to give their athletes a test drive in the short, but they might decide it's not worth it, especially if they have a skater/team nursing an injury, for example, and could use an extra week to recover, and/or they don't want to risk forcing a medal contender to do the SP/SD if the #2 skater/team is injured or ill.

As far as closing the gap from the FS, either the points will be clustered together and the FS will be definitive, or there will be a gap between the leaders and next tier down, and without a meltdown at the top, they won't catch up. This could determine who will skate the FS/FD, because if it's close, a team that previously said "no" to the FD/FS might reconsider -- something built into the USFS process -- but if a team has little chance for a medal, especially if it made it into the final on the results of a skater/team that won't compete in the final without strong No. 2/3, No. 2 or No. 3 will be in the final, just to keep themselves qualified for the individual event.

The Team Event will have the most immediate impact on Pairs. That will be interesting for Canada, if V/M and Chan only want to do the SP/SD, because that will leave one Pair to do both phases right before the individual event.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    This analysis assumes that only the teams that have qualified three disciplines for Sochi are in the running, and that the appointed skater/team can be used only to fill in the fourth discipline. Spain would already be on the list in the Top 10 without any of Fernandez's GP points were countries qualifying two able to appoint a third, while the only 12 teams on the list were those who've qualified three or four disciplines.

That was actually my point about Spain.
    The rules state you must field a team of 3....and you may access an additional entry from the quota.
    It is far from clear whether you can use that entry to get you to a fielded team of 3.
    I guess I am saying it is wonderful to have this new chart and all the work that has been put into it ..but is it correct?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The announcement says,

Each Team must participate in at least 3 disciplines (Ladies/Men/Pair Skating/Ice Dance) of the Figure Skating Team Event. NOCs/ISU Members who according to the procedure as per paragraph 2 above would have qualified for the Figure Skating Team Event but who are unable or unwilling to compose a Team with Skaters/Couples competing in at least 3 disciplines will not be allowed to compete in the Figure Skating Team Event. In order to compose a Team the NOCs, if necessary and applicable, can make one entry (for one discipline) according to the “Additional Athletes Quota” as outlined in detail in paragraph 3.2.1 below.
    It doesn't say that a nation has to "qualify" in three disciplines, just "participate." Since the last lines talk about appointing athletes to "compose" a team, it isn't clear *from the ISU document* whether this means a nation could appoint the third to "compose" a team in which three disciplines could participate.

In fact, the document also states that the appointed skaters can't be used if the nation qualified for the discipline and,

NOCs/ISU Members who do not have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG competition/discipline (Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), may benefit of an “Additional Athletes Quota” and enter into the Figure Skating Team Event 1 Skater/Couple. If applicable, each NOC may benefit of this Additional Athletes Quota for only one discipline of the Figure Skating Team Event.
    which suggests a country with two qualified disciplines could appoint a third, but not a third and fourth, because if only teams with three qualified disciplines can make an appointment for a fourth, there'd be no reason to explicilty state that only one discipline could be appointed.

Spain should on this basis.

However, ISU documents aren't known for consistency or logic. They haven't learned that decision tables are their friends, or they don't want to learn because this way, they can be "flexible."

vCash
    Thanks kwanfan1818.
    I agree with your interpretation of the wording.
    It seems you can use the additional spot to get to 3 entries and you have thereby fielded a team of 3 entries...and can enter.
    I also agree with your 'for only one discipline' logic.
    There would be no need to state ' can be used for only 1 discipline' if the reality was that a team could only proceed if they had 3 and accessed a 4th via the quota spot.

vCash
    According to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_..._Qualification , South Korea has now clinched a spot in the team event - so far they only have ladies entries and I know they could field a male singles skater but would they have any hope of fielding a complete team? If they can't do so, can they compete?

having a nice day
    vCash
    Am I the only one who thinks this event is a stupid idea?
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Will someone on Twitter ask Phil Hersh to get some clarity from ISU regarding Spain's situation?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I think someone jumped the gun on South Korea to be honest. They have a junior dance team, but are they age eligible? I'm not sure they both even have citizenship and I'm not certain I've seen them with a pairs team recently. I'm not convinced they're in at all. In fact I'd be willing to bet they probably won't field a full team...
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingguy View Post
    According to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_..._Qualification , South Korea has now clinched a spot in the team event - so far they only have ladies entries and I know they could field a male singles skater but would they have any hope of fielding a complete team? If they can't do so, can they compete?
    They can't compete without a full team and they don't have one.

vCash
    How did South Korea even get a spot? Are all those points Yuna Kim's?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast