View Poll Results: Can she medal in Sochi ?

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

201 75.85%
  • No

32 12.08%
  • 4th place

32 12.08%
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    Yu Na had 2 mistakes in her long program in 2011--the singled flip and also, she popped the second jump on her 3sal(?)-2t combo. This, by the way, is my favorite performance by Yu Na, despite the mistakes.
    You are right, I forget the singled double salchow at the end of the combination. So that was a 3rd mistake, albeit seemingly minor. Ironically given the margin of defeat that almost certainly cost her the gold medal too.

Artistically it was my favorite LP of hers ever probably, although I also really liked Miss Saigon in the 07-08 season. My favorite programs of her overall are her 06-07 Tango short program and her James Bond short program though.

vCash
    Julia Lipnitskaya should soar onto the Sochi podium if the panel is like this weekend's Rostelecom panel. On my HD TV I could very clearly see her underrotated first triple lutz and first double axel (the axel in particular left a full 180 degree mark on the ice), both of which were not called < but were called clean. Very disappointed.

It is also clear she is being anointed based on her very large PCS for a very flawed FS. The PCS jump from SC to COR with a strikingly similar SP is also alarming.

ETA: it's not just the calling on Julia's FS that was out of whack. There were all kinds of underrotated triples in the ladies event that were called clean. And very questionable calls across all events. Seriously the worst judging I have ever witnessed in the entire COP era.
    Last edited by cbd1235; 11-23-2013 at 08:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I can see Julia's PCS climbing a bit, certainly not to Kostner, Mao or Kim levels. But going higher.
    Well, it seems that Julia actually climbed over Kostner's level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Julia Lipnitskaya should soar onto the Sochi podium if the panel is like this weekend's Rostelecom panel. On my HD TV I could very clearly see her underrotated first triple lutz and first double axel (the axel in particular left a full 180 degree mark on the ice), both of which were not called < but were called clean. Very disappointed.

It is also clear she is being anointed based on her very large PCS for a very flawed FS. The PCS jump from SC to COR with a strikingly similar SP is also alarming.

ETA: it's not just the calling on Julia's FS that was out of whack. There were all kinds of underrotated triples in the ladies event that were called clean. And very questionable calls across all events. Seriously the worst judging I have ever witnessed in the entire COP era.
    There is a stupid rule about 1/4 cheating is allowed for jumps. They didn't downgraded Mao's jumps because of this rule too. I can understand maybe 1/8, but this 1/4 just so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Well she's 18. Angela Nikodinov, Joannie Rochette, Brian Boitano, Shizuka Awakawa were all rather bland and awkward skaters at that age as well.
    Really? This is Joannie at 17: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAIbF0d51fE Gold's presentation has a way to go compared to this IMO.
    Last edited by shine; 11-23-2013 at 09:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    There is a stupid rule about 1/4 cheating is allowed for jumps. They didn't downgraded Mao's jumps because of this rule too. I can understand maybe 1/8, but this 1/4 just so much.
    I agree, Mao has been credited with one or two badly underrotated Triple Axels this season. Disappointed. But the worst judging was Rostelecom. Everything else all season was not bad, just a few blips of madness like Mao's axel calls. Then this event went haywire...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    I agree, Mao has been credited with one or two badly underrotated Triple Axels this season. Disappointed. But the worst judging was Rostelecom. Everything else all season was not bad, just a few blips of madness like Mao's axel calls. Then this event went haywire...
    Some other triple jumps of Mao should get < too. You can watch her NHK skate and see she is just turning on the ice like Lipnistkaia at COR. Why we have ''you can cheat 1/4'' rule? Skaters already getting benefit of doubt -rightfully-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Well, it seems that Julia actually climbed over Kostner's level.
    Hmm, Kostner scored 68 for PCS, Lipnitskaia 63 (controversially so)...that's a 5-point margin.

More subjectively, there are dimensions between Kostner and Lipnitskaia. Kostner has the speed, flow, maturity, musicality, and choreography that you just can't convey as a 15 year old, and Lipnitskaia may have flow, but she doesn't have Kostner's speed and not near the level of interpretation. Even then, Oksana Baiul was a wonderful performer who became the music, but Lipnitskaia is certainly no Baiul and especially no Kostner. This is ladies figure skating, not "little girls".

To think the 2013 World Men's title was won by a point or so...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post

Kostner has the speed, flow, maturity, musicality, and choreography that you just can't convey as a 15 year old.
    No doubt, Kostner does have speed, maturity, etc. but choreography? Where is choreography in her free skate? I was looking and didn't find any? Where are the transitions?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Julia's body will change in a year or two just like Elizaveta's did, she is fortunate in that she is peaking right at the right time, Elizaveta's is a year late

That said, I am not sure how much a factor Julia will be in the future. She has a great chance to medal this year but will this turn into a Carolina Zhang situation where her body changes and she can't do those jumps? I suppose Caroline had bad technique to begin w but I think managing the transition from being pre teen to being a women is tricky. For some it never struck me that the body changed that much (like Rachael flatt) while for others like Elizaveta's or Caroline it was a very obvious (and sometimes quick) change. And we all know how that turned out,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    Julia's body will change in a year or two just like Elizaveta's did, she is fortunate in that she is peaking right at the right time, Elizaveta's is a year late
    Not necessarily. Julia reminds me of Cohen - tiny, skinny, bendy. Cohen never seemed to hit puberty, Julia could follow the same path.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Not necessarily. Julia reminds me of Cohen - tiny, skinny, bendy. Cohen never seemed to hit puberty, Julia could follow the same path.
    That's what Tarasova said! The 1st time she saw her was in 2011 and she said then that Julia had a unique body type she only saw on Cohen

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Here's hoping.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Extreme flexibility often leads to instability in jumping - think Cohen and Czisny, or even Nagasu and Zhang. And it's not like Lip had such good technique to begin with. I don't think she will grow a lot, but her technique will likely go to whack when she gets nervous (like at COR).

vCash
    I find these negative predictions rather amusing, particularly comparisons with Caroline Zhang. How many GPs did Caroline win? It takes more than flexibility to win, and Julia has already shown that she is a competitor. Nobody can really predict what will happen in a few years. I would like Julia to skate two great programs in Sochi just to silence the critics. I don't want her to win the OGM because her motivation may not be as intense as it is now, but any other color medal in Sochi will be great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Just assuming for a moment that Julia wins gold in Sochi. Has any skater gone on to have a great skating career after winning the big prize at 15? Or 16 for that matter?
    Sonja Henie.

vCash
    Watching the COR judging, [Russia at Sochi : team(gold), pairs(gold), men(bronze), ladies(silver), dance(bronze)] results do not look unrealistic.
    Putin & RSF seem to want an all-discipline(event)-podium.

vCash

Whatever Putin wants, Putin gets, make no mistake about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    Watching the COR judging, [Russia at Sochi : team(gold), pairs(gold), men(bronze), ladies(silver), dance(bronze)] results do not look unrealistic.
    I think a Russian on podium in Men's is not realistic ( the rest would have to make major mistakes). The rest, doable; though Ladies' Bronze is more likely.
    As for Lipnitskaya momentum- I had my doubts early this year, but yes, she got it. If she is on podium on GPF ( very likely), and even bigger one. If she wins GPF, then sky's the limit.
    Last edited by dinakt; 11-29-2013 at 01:45 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I think a Russian mens bronze is possible. Other than Chan everyone has been inconsistent so far this season. I wouldnt favor a Russian man for a medal now (whoever that man is) but could see a surprise medal potentially all the same.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast