View Poll Results: Can she medal in Sochi ?

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    201 75.85%
  • No

    32 12.08%
  • 4th place

    32 12.08%
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 446
  1. #261
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    793
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Still not crazy about her jump technique, but this girl is SPECIAL!

    I was in awe!!!!

  2. #262
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    İstanbul
    Posts
    337
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Julia's mental fortitude is amazing
    only Plushy and Yuna can compete with that
    In home Olympics, no less

  3. #263
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ***SPOILER***

    I am not sure if I am allowed to post this, otherwise I will edit it immediately.

    ***SPOILER***

    However, Julia's scores in the team SP indicate that she is not just a contender for bronze, but for gold.

    It's quite a shame, actually, because clean skates could've led to a deserved bronze and start to a promising career, but a gold here will forever be tainted by allegations. She scored 72, to Kostner's 70 and was only 1 point behind in PCS (tied with Mao's and beat Wagner's); this SP has always been the weaker of her two programs and is nowhere near the quality of Ave Maria or Chopin, and even Crazy Diamond deserves better PCS. If this pulled all 8's, what will a clean Schindler's list?

    Sad to see Kostner at true peak as an artist and competitor finally being in the wrong side of favoritism within the scoring.

  4. #264
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,168
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The scoring for Lipnitskaya, while expected, is still disgusting. Both she and Plushenko should be getting no higher than an average of early 7s for each PCS category. To see them score in the 8s and 9s respectively and close up on Kostner, Asada, Wagner, Chan and Hanyu makes me sad.

  5. #265
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, seeing it in direct comparison to Kostner here made the inflation too hard to ignore. It's easy to excuse excited marks when someone is the only skater in a competition, but even then, mid to high 7's already would be inflated for her SP.

    This team event has shown that most of the drama of the individuals has really already been settled. V/T will win pairs, K/T the bronze if clean (D/R just behind); Plushenko will actually be in the mix for gold, but will likely end up with a bronze; B/S will have such a lead after the SD that they'll be assured the bronze in dance; and Lipnitskaya will challenge Kim for the ladies, while Mao needs to be clean or be left fighting Kostner for bronze.

    It's clear nobody has a fair shot at the Russians, and it's sad to see, since this a competition skaters dream of, and that we fans wait 4 years for. If all of the above happens, I hope there is a major backlash. Some home field scoring is tolderable, but this has just gone too far and threatens the validity of these Games and our sport.

    My hope is that once we are away from the hysteria of the team event that Russia surely will win, we might see scores come back to reality just a bit. That's probably naive.
    Last edited by JJS5056; 02-08-2014 at 08:20 PM.

  6. #266
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    İstanbul
    Posts
    337
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    For first time viewers, Julia did beat Carolina every time they skated same event. One of them was European championships. This is not so unexpected.

  7. #267
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,796
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    I suppose it has nothing to do with all the Russian skaters going clean except for Stolbova's double toe, lol.

    B&S have only 1 point lead over P&B. They can drop more than that in the FD. I wouldn't award B&S the bronze just yet.

    Julia's placement is well deserved. 3toe and 3loop is not competitive for an Olympic SP in 2014. Julia had all level 4 spins and Carolina had only one. I bet Julia will get some 10s again if she nails her LP.

  8. #268
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Roll tour eyes all you'd like, as that competition was clearly aimed at positioning both Russian ladies as serious contenders, and has little to do with the fact that Julia's SP is not capable of the PCS it earned in this event. Look to the GP for a mre realistic representation.

    Meanwhile, a clean Kostner, with her gorgeous new program, should've blown the roof off in terms of PCS, yet for nearly the first time ever, the judges were conservative.

    I have no problem with Julia challenging Kostner overall, as her technical content across both programs is much stronger, and her LP has some special qualities to it. But, these marks indicate she is more likely to be battling Kim for Gold than Kostner for bronze, and that doesn't sit well with me.

  9. #269
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    793
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JJS5056 View Post
    ***SPOILER***

    I am not sure if I am allowed to post this, otherwise I will edit it immediately.

    ***SPOILER***

    However, Julia's scores in the team SP indicate that she is not just a contender for bronze, but for gold.

    It's quite a shame, actually, because clean skates could've led to a deserved bronze and start to a promising career, but a gold here will forever be tainted by allegations. She scored 72, to Kostner's 70 and was only 1 point behind in PCS (tied with Mao's and beat Wagner's); this SP has always been the weaker of her two programs and is nowhere near the quality of Ave Maria or Chopin, and even Crazy Diamond deserves better PCS. If this pulled all 8's, what will a clean Schindler's list?

    Sad to see Kostner at true peak as an artist and competitor finally being in the wrong side of favoritism within the scoring.

    Only IF Mao and Yuna aren't clean. If Mao hits the 3A she'd have beaten Julia.

  10. #270
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I suppose it has nothing to do with all the Russian skaters going clean except for Stolbova's double toe, lol.

    B&S have only 1 point lead over P&B. They can drop more than that in the FD. I wouldn't award B&S the bronze just yet.

    Julia's placement is well deserved. 3toe and 3loop is not competitive for an Olympic SP in 2014. Julia had all level 4 spins and Carolina had only one. I bet Julia will get some 10s again if she nails her LP.
    I never said that any placements were unjustified, just that this event was a preview of things to come. There are 5 teams hoping for dance bronze; you don't think this shows B/S are near the front of that group? 1.5pts is not insignificant in dance, nor is a 1.5 difference in PCS.

    I also really like Julia, and as I said, have no problem with her beating Kostner after both programs due to her TES advantage. But, her PCS are simply unjustified, and while her LP does deserve higher scores, a 10 would not be appropriate.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kabooke View Post
    Only IF Mao and Yuna aren't clean. If Mao hits the 3A she'd have beaten Julia.
    Correct, a clean Mao will score evenly with Julia as they were given nearly identical PCS. If the 3 of them are clean, I'd imagine Kim will score around 78, Asada 73, Lipnitskaya 72.

    Does anyone truly think one of Mao's signature programs' PCS is on par with Julia's SP, which she herself said she wasn't as fond of as her LP? Because that's what the scores indicate.
    Last edited by JJS5056; 02-08-2014 at 08:30 PM.

  11. #271
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,796
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    Quote Originally Posted by JJS5056 View Post
    I never said that any placements were unjustified, just that this event was a preview of things to come. There arem5 teams hoping for dance bronze; you don't think this shows B/S are near the front of that group?
    Sure, but they were 3rd last year and 3rd in the SD at GPF, also beating P&B in the SD at CoC. They've always been front-runners for bronze. As a P&B fan who can't stomach B&S, I was glad it was close enough that it would be easy to overtake them in the FD. They could've really nailed P&B on levels and dropped them out of the hunt completely.

  12. #272
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    İstanbul
    Posts
    337
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JJS5056 View Post
    I also really like Julia, and as I said, have no problem with her beating Kostner after both programs due to her TES advantage. But, her PCS are simply unjustified, and while her LP does deserve higher scores, a 10 would not be appropriate.
    Not skating skills but 10 for interpretation can be. Also If team judges are same as ladies event judges, we should expect high PCS again -If she is clean of course-. Her skating skills scores are 8.25-8.50 from all judges. All judges gaved 8+ PCS at least three components too. (out of 5 components)

  13. #273
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Sure, but they were 3rd last year and 3rd in the SD at GPF, also beating P&B in the SD at CoC. They've always been front-runners for bronze. As a P&B fan who can't stomach B&S, I was glad it was close enough that it would be easy to overtake them in the FD. They could've really nailed P&B on levels and dropped them out of the hunt completely.
    With their scores on the GP and issues with their programs, I wouldn't say B/S were the frontrunners. Most felt W/P were the slight favorites, with P/B leading the European teams.

    And, elif, a 10 for Interpretation would still be unjustified. It's Julia's strength and should be scored highly, I agree, but using the scores of this SP to lend credit to scores in the 8's during individuals doesn't hold much weight. Her great performances at SC and GPF were 2-3 points lower in PCS, and no single component mark entered the 8's.

  14. #274
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    İstanbul
    Posts
    337
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JJS5056 View Post
    With their scores on the GP and issues with their programs, I wouldn't say B/S were the frontrunners. Most felt W/P were the slight favorites, with P/B leading the European teams.
    I did same thing after the Skate Canada but at GPF Weaver/Poje didn't get those marks against other teams without home advantage so I think Pechalat/Bourzat going to get bronze. They did a stumble today in steps -If I didn't imagine that- and still got level and GOE so judges going to give them.

    Lipnitskaia can bacome youngest gold medalist of figüre skating If Russia wins gold tomorrow. Youngest individual is still Lipinski.

  15. #275
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ah, how interesting. Everyone always mentioned that Lipinski was younger, but nobody ever considered the team event. Good catch and good for Julia! Unlike Tara, I hope these Games are just the start of a very successful career.

  16. #276

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    I was just thinking about the age. I think Julia became age eligible for these Olympics by just 26 days, so I was thinking that if she wins the individual gold, she might become the youngest lady to win the individual OGM- is that correct? She is more likely to win the team gold than the individual one though.

  17. #277
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No, Tara will remain the youngest ladies individual gold medalist; their birth dates are very close, making that if Julia wins the team gold, shenwill become the youngest gold medalist overall.

  18. #278
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    İstanbul
    Posts
    337
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I was just thinking about the age. I think Julia became age eligible for these Olympics by just 26 days, so I was thinking that if she wins the individual gold, she might become the youngest lady to win the individual OGM- is that correct? She is more likely to win the team gold than the individual one though.
    No. She is not going to be youngest individual gold medalist even If she wins. Tara Lipinski with 15 years, 257 days is youngest (10 June 1982 - 22 February 1998) Julia can't broke that record, she is going to be 3 days older than Tara But Julia is going to be youngest gold medalist of figure skating with 15 years, 248 days (5 June 1998 - 9 February 2014) If Russia wins.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...skating_by_age

  19. #279
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    379
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    She's gonna medal and probably take the gold. Her PCS scores are a joke.

  20. #280
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,796
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    Quote Originally Posted by elif View Post
    No. She is not going to be youngest individual gold medalist even If she wins. Tara Lipinski with 15 years, 257 days is youngest (10 June 1982 - 22 February 1998) Julia can't broke that record, she is going to be 3 days older than Tara But Julia is going to be youngest gold medalist of figure skating with 15 years, 248 days (5 June 1998 - 9 February 2014) If Russia wins.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...skating_by_age
    Who would've thought that would be a list on wikipedia. That's very cool. I'm glad Julia can get some kind of record.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •