View Poll Results: Can she medal in Sochi ?

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

201 75.85%
  • No

32 12.08%
  • 4th place

32 12.08%
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I am jonesing to watch Euros On Demand. Got to wait for the BF to take a nap or something, though.

I can't believe that Julia is fairly being scored at 210 points, though, w/ her current set of skating skills and what I have been seeing from her all season. I guess since Euros was little more than Russian Nationals w/ Kostner thrown in for good effect, there might have been some inflation, i.e - the scores were thrown at her. I guess we will see what happens w/ all scores when US and Japanese ladies are present at the same competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    I remember everyone on this board going crazy over Elizaveta last year around this time, touting her as the soon-to-be World Champion, etc., getting carried away, only to see her fizzle out come Worlds. Julia may be young, consistent, and technically competent, but we have seen her falter this season (see: Rostelecom Cup). And while personally I don't find her PCS deserved (especially at Europeans), it does help to have Russian politicking on your side. We will see come Sochi. Skating at home at the OG will trigger some to rise to the occasion, and some to choke. I'm not yet convinced both Russians will rise...though I guess if anyone is mentally fragile, historically that tendency would point towards Adelina.
    Julia's mistakes at COR were nowhere close to a melt down that we have seen from some other skaters. No one can predict how her body will change and how she will respond to it. Right now though she has the momentum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I wish Julia could fix her 2A entrance. I think it should get - GOE from the judges. I wonder why some coaches allow their skaters to get away with those horrid rollerskating technique.
    Julia seems to be the type that wants to improve every time. I think next year she may work on fixing her shortcomings- the edge on the 3lutz, and doing a better 2A.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Julia seems to be the type that wants to improve every time. I think next year she may work on fixing her shortcomings- the edge on the 3lutz, and doing a better 2A.
    I agree. She is such a perfectionist and expects so much from herself. For her, it's not about winning, it's about doing her best (see her reaction in K&C at CoR after an unsatisfying skate that put her in the lead anyway). I am sure she knows what needs to be done and will work on it. She is only 15 and had an absolutely stunning debut on the senior level this season.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 01-20-2014 at 12:18 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Well Julia certainly brought down the house with a bang at Euros! Her scores were up there with the best. How will she hold up under the pressure of Olympics in her home country? That's the question we'll all have to wait for an answer to. I wasn't really impressed by her skating until I watched her free skate that won her the European title. I think she earned every point as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSkates View Post
    Well Julia certainly brought down the house with a bang at Euros! Her scores were up there with the best. How will she hold up under the pressure of Olympics in her home country? That's the question we'll all have to wait for an answer to. I wasn't really impressed by her skating until I watched her free skate that won her the European title. I think she earned every point as well.
    I hope the FS at COR was a total anomaly and will not repeat in Sochi.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    CoR DID look like an anomaly for Julia. Keeping my fingers crossed for her! Go Julia!!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Even if squeaky clean, her PCS was still only 3rd best to Kostner and Sotnitkova, in both segments. She will need to be absolutely clean to take more than bronze. I am wondering if the Sochi judges are going to be as crazy as the Rostelecom judges.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    But what are the chances that either Kostner and Sotnikova both match Lipnitskaia's TES? That was a huge gap there at the European championships.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Even if squeaky clean, her PCS was still only 3rd best to Kostner and Sotnitkova, in both segments. She will need to be absolutely clean to take more than bronze. I am wondering if the Sochi judges are going to be as crazy as the Rostelecom judges.
    She is definitely Russian Lady #1 after Euros over Sotnikova, so alot will depend on she handles that kind of pressure. Kostner may or may not have any more juice left in that tank. At Euros she looked very off, even if it wasn't a bad performance by any means.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnt175 View Post
    She is definitely Russian Lady #1 after Euros over Sotnikova, so alot will depend on she handles that kind of pressure. Kostner may or may not have any more juice left in that tank. At Euros she looked very off, even if it wasn't a bad performance by any means.
    Kostner looked tired to me. She actually skated very well with just the one mistake. The Russian girls just have better jumps, and they have improved their presentation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnt175 View Post
    I agree the Russian fed will push Julia, not Sotnikova, as their #1 after Euros. This will see Julias scores perhaps rise even more, and Sotnikovas drop. Julia still wont win if Kim or Mao skate cleanly. Mao wont skate cleanly, so that leaves only Yu NA. Yu Na can afford 1 mistake, maybe 2, but 3 and Julia will win.

vCash
    I love Julia but I would rather she wins just the bronze if she medals. A silver may be OK, but not the gold. She is clearly a very motivated young lady but an OGM this early can make it really difficult to be motivated further. Not that I will be unhappy if she does win the OGM, but I really want to see her develop more- in her artistry and technical elements, and become a truly great skater of her era.

The flip side of this would be that if her body changes so much that she loses the jumps, it will be a tragedy. No one knows what will happen; she could be in 3 Olympics or she may be in just one - 2014. In any case, good luck to her in Sochi. I hope she will deliver all clean programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    But what are the chances that either Kostner and Sotnikova both match Lipnitskaia's TES? That was a huge gap there at the European championships.
    No chance for Kostner. Jump difficulty and spin standard too weak. Sotnikova would have to go clean with her triple lutz-triple loop to get a similar or higher TES and she wont ever pull that off so probably no to her too.

vCash
    Only pedophiles and women with biased over sensitive maternal instincts could give Julia scores close or better than Adelina, Yuna, Mao, Suzuki, maybe even Wagner if they all skate well. Only she could beat them if she's perfect and the others make mistakes. You are lying or a sap who falls for marketing if you think Julia is a better skater than any of them right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ToFarAwayTimes View Post
    Only pedophiles and women with biased over sensitive maternal instincts could give Julia scores close or better than Adelina, Yuna, Mao, Suzuki, maybe even Wagner if they all skate well..
    WTF?! What is your problem and/or are you drinking?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    WTF?! What is your problem and/or are you drinking?
    Julia is good for her age but she should not be scoring as high as the top senior ladies based on her tiny jumps, relatively weak SS, and minimal artistry. This season she's being overscored and overhyped for reasons unrelated to her skating ... mostly her packaging, sappy people who always fall for "cute kids and animals" marketing, and pedophiles.

vCash
    Julia is good for her age but she should not be scoring as high as the top senior ladies based on her tiny jumps, relatively weak SS, and minimal artistry. This season she's being overscored and overhyped for reasons unrelated to her skating ... mostly her packaging, sappy people who always fall for "cute kids and animals" marketing, and pedophiles.
    you are dead wrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DELTA View Post
    you are dead wrong
    That's why her botched 2As are receiving +GOEs? Or her PCS went up almost 10 points in season?

vCash
    That's why her botched 2As are receiving +GOEs? Or her PCS went up almost 10 points in season?
    Her PCS went up because she has worked hard to correct a number of issues - particularly around skating skills and presentation. She is considerably faster now for example, than at the beginning of the season and leaps and bounds better than last year on both these two elements. Her second double axel in the Euro's FS was not botched. While a higher step up is seen as more of the gold standard, that double axel had a wicked amount of speed going in and coming out (thus the reason she could do such a good 3 toe on the end) and carried great distance.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast