View Poll Results: Can she medal in Sochi ?

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

201 75.85%
  • No

32 12.08%
  • 4th place

32 12.08%
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    I am not as wowed by Julia as a lot of other folks are. She has consistent jumps, but they are fairly little jumps. She has flexibility, but that's only one aspect of figure skating. Don't feel she has presence on the ice. I find her rather blah. No matter what happens in Sochi, I'd like to reserve judgment on her for a couple of more years.

vCash
    Can she? Yes. Will she? That's a big maybe. The pressure on her will be tremendous.

O-

vCash
    I think some of us are excited about the potential displayed by Julia. It's sort of like seeing a 13 year old Michelle Kwan skating clean performances with a 3Lz-2t combination, and wowing the audience, or a 15-year old Sasha Cohen showing her potential. Nobody is saying Julia is a complete skater right now, but the potential is there, if she stays healthy, and I find that exciting.
    Last edited by Vash01; 10-29-2013 at 10:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Julia is a very consistent competitor with no real weaknesses.
    Tendency to lip and flutz.

Not a lot of speed and power (probably due to her size) when compared against other top Ladies.

She doesn't accentuate and hold her movements long enough. They look quite limp.

She's quite an introverted performer. This year she got programs that play to that but some stronger performance skills would be good to see.

She has a lot of strengths also (consistency in particular - Kostner might be a much better skater 'on paper' but when was the last time she landed all her jumps?) but there's still plenty to improve and work on.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    How do you lip and flutz at the same time?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Well, you can't do it at the same time, but there have been skaters to get an edge call on a flip and a lutz in the same competition. No, I don't have protocols to prove it- I just remember discussion at the time.

vCash
    Akiko Suzuki used to get edge calls on both flip and lutz.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Not Julia--edge call on the lutz in the free skate and that's it for SC. Gloried US jumper Gracie Gold lips. Le shrug.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    My main concern for Julia as having long term career success (past Sochi) is her name. Call me silly or superstitious, but no Julia has had a great career, after early success and great natural talent(e.g. Soldatova, Sebasteyen, and pairs skater Obertas who appeared on track for an OGM early in her career).

I hope Lip will be break that trend, and have a long and successful career. i already sound like a fan, don't I?
    The law of averages has to break in favor of a skater named Julia sometime. Maybe it'll be Lip!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    No, the injury wasn't related to growth spur. She fell on her head doing some spin in practice and had concussion.
    Correct. It had nothing to do with any growth spurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Tendency to lip and flutz.

Not a lot of speed and power (probably due to her size) when compared against other top Ladies.

She doesn't accentuate and hold her movements long enough. They look quite limp.

She's quite an introverted performer. This year she got programs that play to that but some stronger performance skills would be good to see.

She has a lot of strengths also (consistency in particular - Kostner might be a much better skater 'on paper' but when was the last time she landed all her jumps?) but there's still plenty to improve and work on.
    ITA with all of that but those aren't really weaknesses...they are just areas she can do better. She's solid across the board and consistent to boot. I think she has a great shot at 4th or 5th if she can deliver in Sochi.

vCash
    Semantics.

If everybody skated clean, I think that Lipnitskaia would end up 4th-5th. However, she's much more likely to land all of her jumps than for example Asada, Gold of Kostner.

If you are on an inside our outside edge, you are skating on a curve. On the lutz, in the opposite direction to the jump rotation (which is why it's harder) and on the flip in the same direction.

Whilst the edge will give you the momentum on the take-off, the difficult thing here is to control it. When you first start learning three-turns, a difficulty a lot of people have is controlling the edge and stopping the rotation after doing 180 revolutions. It's not something that competitive skaters have an issue with, obviously, but when entering the jump they are skating at high speed, the have to get the timing right on the entry and keep the right balance, which is not easy all to do at the same time, during the same split second.

Both lipping and flutzing serve the same purpose. You roll onto the opposite edge in order to maintain the balance, preventing yourself from going on too deep a curve, and giving you stability.

Not Julia--edge call on the lutz in the free skate and that's it for SC. Gloried US jumper Gracie Gold lips. Le shrug.
    The second lutz must have been really close to a call also. She started to roll onto the inside edge just before take-off but the technical panel must have decided that she was still on the outside edge when she took off. No edge calls for flips this time but she did get some in the past. She seems to be a doing a deliberate entry to try to counter that. It quite fast and doesn't give her time to change the edge. I thought her flips at SA were a little touch-and-go as well although I'd have her in the clear too. It seems like she's aware of those issues and trying to fix them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Semantics.

If everybody skated clean, I think that Lipnitskaia would end up 4th-5th. However, she's much more likely to land all of her jumps than for example Asada, Gold of Kostner.

The second lutz must have been really close to a call also. She started to roll onto the inside edge just before take-off but the technical panel must have decided that she was still on the outside edge when she took off. No edge calls for flips this time but she did get some in the past. She seems to be a doing a deliberate entry to try to counter that. It quite fast and doesn't give her time to change the edge. I thought her flips at SA were a little touch-and-go as well although I'd have her in the clear too. It seems like she's aware of those issues and trying to fix them.
    I agree with the first paragraph. Don't need to comment on the second. Anyone that knows skating usually knows all that. I would guess that's majority of posters here. My perception is that Icealisa's question was rhetorical but thanks for explaining, in case some posters don't know how the lutz and flip jumps are done.

She did not get any edge calls at SC in the LP from the technical panel (she did in the SP), but you want to say that she lips and flutzes because she did in the past. She should get credit for what she did right in THIS competition, and errors from the past should not be counted against her. I am not convinced that she has permanently fixed the problem, and some good jumpers occasionally do make an edge error, but we will see if she is mostly consistent one way or another. In any case a problem like that can be fixed. In the past (before COP) skaters had no motivation to fix the flutz. Now they do. If a skater does not have mental toughness, it's harder to fix the 'pressure' problem. I am really interested in seeing if Julia can handle the pressure after early success.

vCash
    If a skater does not have mental toughness, it's harder to fix the 'pressure' problem. I am really interested in seeing if Julia can handle the pressure after early success.
    She's managed it well so far. Her junior year she lead after every competition and always came out and skated well. Last season she had injuries/growing issues so she wasn't as steady but she still skated okay. Julia seems to have returned to her consistency and steadiness from her junior season BUT it will be interesting to see if the pressure of winning senior gold will derail her at all. I thought she handled the pressure great at SC. She skated to win and that's the difference b/w her mindset and Gracie's mindset. I'm sure winning was in Gracie's mind but rather than motivate her, it looked as though it spooked her and she got nervous. Julia OTOH smelled blood and attacked. She's a clutch skater and that's what I like most about her...she's fiercely competitive and she has that focus and mental toughness to go out and execute when the pressure is on. Those kind of skaters are very rare.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    I am not as wowed by Julia as a lot of other folks are. She has consistent jumps, but they are fairly little jumps. She has flexibility, but that's only one aspect of figure skating. Don't feel she has presence on the ice. I find her rather blah. No matter what happens in Sochi, I'd like to reserve judgment on her for a couple of more years.
    I agree with you. She had zero personality on the ice. Really no presence at all. She simply goes out and does her jumps. She isn't musical and she doesn't relate to the audience. She is flexible and she can do her jumps but blah is a good description. I prefer Elena Radionova over her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    The law of averages has to break in favor of a skater named Julia sometime. Maybe it'll be Lip!
    I'd rather Granny came back and got her medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilng View Post
    I agree with you. She had zero personality on the ice. Really no presence at all. She simply goes out and does her jumps. She isn't musical and she doesn't relate to the audience. She is flexible and she can do her jumps but blah is a good description. I prefer Elena Radionova over her.
    I was in tears toward the end of Julia's LP. She definitely expressed the emotion in the music. Too bad you did not feel it. It was beautiful.

Julia has an introverted personality. Radionova has an extroverted personality. They both have personalities - each her own- and I am glad that they are not trying to put on someone else's personality.
    Last edited by Vash01; 10-30-2013 at 06:51 PM.

vCash
    She cant win the gold. Yu Na Kim already has that locked up.

Silver? Probably not. Too much to hope to beat both Asada and Kostner, and all the other contenders who have roughly equal chances to her (Wagner, maybe Gold, maybe another Japanese).

Bronze? Possible. Maybe 35% shot at that.

vCash
    Whilst I don't like Lipnitskaia's skating at all, I really admire her mental fortitude, her self-awareness and her no-bullshit approach. Interviews with her are always very fascinating.

She did not get any edge calls at SC in the LP from the technical panel (she did in the SP), but you want to say that she lips and flutzes because she did in the past. She should get credit for what she did right in THIS competition, and errors from the past should not be counted against her. I am not convinced that she has permanently fixed the problem, and some good jumpers occasionally do make an edge error, but we will see if she is mostly consistent one way or another. In any case a problem like that can be fixed. In the past (before COP) skaters had no motivation to fix the flutz. Now they do. If a skater does not have mental toughness, it's harder to fix the 'pressure' problem. I am really interested in seeing if Julia can handle the pressure after early success.
    I am saying that she has a tendency to lip and flutz because the flips and lutzes that she didn't get edge calls for at SA didn't have clear and defined edges either (she got one 'e' for the first lutz in the FS). So it seems to be a bit of a roulette at the moment. Over the course of this season, we'll see how well she can keep this under control.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilng View Post
    Add me to the list too. Her presentation is blah, which is also one of the reasons I personally can't get over her skating to Shindler's List. Her overall skating skills are quite messy too. There's more to skating than just jumps and flexibility.
    She surely has a lot of potential but she should be a contender for 2018, not now.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast