Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Which winners would please the media/public the most?

Lipnitskaia has pretty much been crowned the sweetheart of the Olympics already. I can see the media just salivating at the idea of her winning the gold. She's adorable and sassy, which is a great combination for PR.

The media seems pretty uninterested in a Yuna repeat, even though it would be a fantastic achievement. She's not enough of a personality for media coverage.

Oddly enough, I think the U.S. media is firmly behind Plushenko this time around. He sort of pulled a Kanye West. While he really has no shot at winning, any medal at all for him would be like a journalist's dream come true.

vCash
    It's not going to happen, but Gracie Gold winning would send the American media nuts.

vCash
    Speaking of the US media:

D&W are most deserving of the media attention but somehow they don't get it. I am not sure even the OGM would give them as much attention as -for example- Gracie Gold winning. For some reason our media seem to like only the ladies without their on-ice partners.

I am sure in Korea, Yuna winning back to back OGM will be HUGE, and in Japan any of the Japanese skaters, but particularly Mao and Yuzuru will be very big.

I think Plushenko has already accomplished what he wanted to, he got the OGM and kudos for his determination. I don't expect him to win a medal in the individual competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by princeton123 View Post
    It's not going to happen, but Gracie Gold winning would send the American media nuts.
    Agree. Nothing could be as big as that. Wagner would be pretty huge too after the hub-bub of her selection.

But I think the US media is now firmly behind Lipnitskaya (if an American can't win). I have heard a million non-skating fans talk about "the little Russian girl".

D&W are most deserving of the media attention but somehow they don't get it. I am not sure even the OGM would give them as much attention as -for example- Gracie Gold winning.
    I think it is undeserving that Gold seems to be getting as much if not more attention than D&W right now, but if Gracie Gold won- I'd say she'd deserve more attention than D/W winning just because D/W are expected to win. It would be a MUCH bigger story if Gold, whose best World finish is 6th (and only 1 appearance; hasn't even made it to GPF) manages to unseat Queen Yuna, surpass world champions Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner, world medalist Akiko Suzuki, and wunderkind Julia. I mean, Gracie Gold winning would be shocking.

I feel like she kinda got dropped by the media after Julia came along lol.
    Probably because the media finally realized the US is not going to medal in ladies and they were backing the wrong horse.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 02-11-2014 at 11:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by princeton123 View Post
    I feel like she kinda got dropped by the media after Julia came along lol.

vCash
    The media loves a good story more than anything I think, and while D&W are at the top of their field, they don't really have the exciting story? Granted, ice dance is always the least popular in the US.

vCash
    I do believe that it's very unfair that D&W who are our best chance for an OGM, and are reigning world champions, are not getting any hype from our media. I am sure the media can hype more than one skater. Why not them?

ETA: Moviechick just answered my question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechicko_o View Post
    The media loves a good story more than anything I think, and while D&W are at the top of their field, they don't really have the exciting story? Granted, ice dance is always the least popular in the US.

D&W are certainly getting more play this Olympics than last, and more than B/A ever did. Their Moms have had like 3 fluff sequences plus that whole "raising olympians" thing. And there was that Hunger Games article. That wouldn't happen if they were totally obscure and ignored.

vCash
    Well, Gracie Gold winning would also have to correspond with one of the biggest meltdowns in Olympic history by several skaters, so yeah, that would be a pretty HUGE story.

vCash
    Well, Gracie Gold winning would also have to correspond with one of the biggest meltdowns in Olympic history by several skaters, so yeah, that would be a pretty HUGE story.
    So true! Gracie Gold's name just made it too easy for the media to hype her as the next big thing.

vCash
    I think if Chan wins, it would be pretty big, since he'd be the first Canadian man to ever win the O's. Plus he's North American, so that is usually a bit of a draw. Plushenko as well. On the gossip website Dlisted, they have a daily 'hot slut of the day' (always completely random people or things) and they named Plushy's wife yesterday.

Plus there's the new youtube video of Plusy's Sex Bomb dubbed over with Ginuwine's Pony. Already over 400 000 views since it was posted on Satruday.

vCash
    I think the perfect media dream would be Plushenko winning with Brown on the podium, especially since Plushenko has said he admires Brown's skating. It would be spun as the old King and the young Prince and they would go wild.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I think the perfect media dream would be Plushenko winning with Brown on the podium, especially since Plushenko has said he admires Brown's skating. It would be spun as the old King and the young Prince and they would go wild.
    Forget the media dream, Brown on the podium would be my dream!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by babyskate View Post
    Forget the media dream, Brown on the podium would be my dream!!
    Oh let's talk about dream podiums! In my fantasy Daisuke, Yuzuru, and Brown would be on the podium. I'd have to voodoo a lot of people to make that happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    Oh let's talk about dream podiums! In my fantasy Daisuke, Yuzuru, and Brown would be on the podium. I'd have to voodoo a lot of people to make that happen.
    I am right there with you living that particular dream. Talk about beauty and talent!!

vCash
    I dont care about the media.

I want Savchenko&Szolkowy to win so badly!

I think I will have my little heart broken tonight
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    The media seems pretty uninterested in a Yuna repeat, even though it would be a fantastic achievement. She's not enough of a personality for media coverage.
    Where in the world do you live? I guess you don't do much net surfing. Yuna going for consecutive OGM is one of the biggest storylines at these Olympics -- there are already tons of news articles in many languages on this, not to mention this is the one of hottest topics in every figure skating forum/blog/board.

vCash
    I'm seeing a lot "Gracie for bronze/on the podium" drumbeat after her performance in the team event; you'd think the media suddenly doesn't remember Carolina, Akiko, even Mao. I really think US media is absolutely salivating for Gracie to get a medal.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Don't worry Jessiebanana, my dream podium is Plushenko-Brown-Kerry and I don't even wanna think about how many people I'd have to voodoo to make THAT happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Don't worry Jessiebanana, my dream podium is Plushenko-Brown-Kerry and I don't even wanna think about how many people I'd have to voodoo to make THAT happen.
    How upset would you be if it ended up Kerry-Brown-Plushenko

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast