Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

The comeback of Tomáš Verner (most likely his final season competing)

New article/interview: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/24/63261304
    Excerpt:
    Verner: ... Before I decided to move back to Oberstdorf, I had to make a far bigger decision: whether or not I want to keep on skating one more year. After this decision, I had to make sure I was physically ready for the coming season. My physical shape had a lot to do with my poor results in the past two years, which affected my confidence. I haven't regained my confidence quite yet, but I am working with Mr. Huth, and Carolina Kostner is a great inspiration to get back on track.

Icenetwork: In your opinion, what was the main cause of inconsistency in your performances in the two past seasons?

Verner: Two years ago, I suffered from a severe back injury that was a major setback in my practice, as well as in everyday life. It took a very long time for me to recover physically. It took even longer to come back to real training, landing all the jumps again and so on.

Then I had to slow down again, because my back couldn't withstand the amount of activity. This procedure of slowing down due to my weak back repeated itself a couple more times and that influenced my subconscious and my self-confidence.
    Icenetwork: What is next for Tomáš Verner?

Verner: I have many plans for the future. A few months after the Olympic Games in Sochi, I should be done with my MBA study, and then I will be ready to jump into normal life, without skates on my feet. I will always stay in touch with figure skating and with sport -- I haven't just decided in which form yet. Anyway, as I said earlier, I take everything one step at a time (smiles).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Whee Tomas, have a great great last season! You are an European Champion, and that is a great achievement!

vCash
    I hope he places in the top 10 at the Olympics, or at Worlds at least if he goes. Is Verner a given for these two competitions? Is there a third skater that could cause an upset at his Nationals and bump him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    I hope he places in the top 10 at the Olympics, or at Worlds at least if he goes. Is Verner a given for these two competitions? Is there a third skater that could cause an upset at his Nationals and bump him?
    No. There are no other Czech skaters capable of landing 3axels, let alone quads. Brezina and Verner are 100% locks for Olympics barring injuries.

vCash
    TOMAS VERNER 2014 OLYMPIC CHAMPION!!!!!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!

vCash
    Ah I love Tomas. I'm really hoping he finally has a moment to remember in Sochi.

vCash
    Yeah. I love his skating but he has a pretty dismal record at Worlds after placing 4th twice. His Olympics outings have been unfortunate for someone of his calibre.

But his Nelepa performances were very encouraging and I hope he can keep the momentum up for the rest of his season.

vCash
    Keeping fingers and toes crossed for Tomas! He's such a beautiful skater, I always have high hopes for him, so here is hoping he finally has "that moment" in Sochi.

vCash
    He had a very promising performance at Coupe de Nice. Landed 4toe/3toe and 3axel easily and was skating with quite a lot of freedom in his movement and I was already jumping in my chair about him finally getting his mojo back. And then he doubled the lutz.

Still a good performance but it kinda summed up Verner's issues. He might seem to be in great form, he might be doing very well but the loss of focus can always suddenly pop up unexpected.

vCash
    I hope he has a great season!

vCash
    Best wishes for his final season. He's such a wonderful skater.
    "You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you'll just Smile."  --by john turner and geoffrey parsons

vCash
    Known to be amongst the nicest guys on the circuit as well. Wish him well throughout this season

vCash
    He's always had so much potential, so much promise. He's so incredibly talented I cannot actually believe his career turned out as it did. I have always loved his style. I do miss him doing great, landing his jumps.

And on top of all that, he's such a wonderful person. Not only is he finishing his MBA, but also speaks several foreign languages fluently. Off the ice, he is also one of the loveliest, most approachable skaters I've met, always smiley and nice, throwing jokes here and there, making you feel like you matter and not like you're just one of the zillion fans who have bothered you today.

vCash
    Hope he has a wonderful final season.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Verner won Coupe de Nice yesterday with a total score of 249.79 - here are his videos (from the live stream):

Short Program (83.58) 4T+3T, 3A, 2Lz

Free Skate (166.21)

Re-posting from the Cup of Nice thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post
    4T-3T easy
    4T !!
    3A turn out
    3F smooth
    fall [negated the step seq.]
    3A-2T on second half, wow
    3Lp
    3Lz
    2A-1/2Lp-2S

Tomas is back on track !
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Yes, Tomas is back! I love his programs!!!

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    He's always had so much potential, so much promise. He's so incredibly talented I cannot actually believe his career turned out as it did. I have always loved his style. I do miss him doing great, landing his jumps.

And on top of all that, he's such a wonderful person. Not only is he finishing his MBA, but also speaks several foreign languages fluently. Off the ice, he is also one of the loveliest, most approachable skaters I've met, always smiley and nice, throwing jokes here and there, making you feel like you matter and not like you're just one of the zillion fans who have bothered you today.
    This x infinity and beyond. I've always loved Tomas Verner ever since he first came onto the scene; he has all the gifts to make a worthy champion at any event he enters. It is so great to see his career on the comeback trail going so well; let's hope it continues on through Europeans, Olympics, and Worlds (should he choose to attend). Fight the good fight to the end, Tommy Boy, prevail, persevere, and overcome, you gallant gladiator!

vCash
    I haven't watched any of his programs this season, but I have noticed that he's been winning B competitions, which is a great sign for the rest of the Olympic Season, ole!

vCash
    Tomas Verner is probably top 3 to 5 on current form right now...too bad the Olympics aren't in October.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Tomas Verner is probably top 3 to 5 on current form right now...too bad the Olympics aren't in October.
    I totally agree! The way he is skating right now compared to everyone else at the moment, he could easily win Olympic bronze, perhaps even silver. Patrick Chan is the only man who has truly impressed me this season so far (with his performance at Skate Canada). Yuzuru Hanyu looked really good at Finlandia, but Skate Canada left a lot to be desired. Yeah Machida landed his jumps and displayed terrific consistency at Skate America, but his style leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO. GO TOMAS! Right now he is my dream pick to win Olympic silver. Please Verner keep it together all the way through the rest of the season; he is so capable!!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 10-28-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast