Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I find it interesting that many of the people who don't wish to regard Kwan as a "legendary" skater, won't acknowledge that many of their "favorites" have said that she was the person who most inspired them!
    I guess the majority here, including me, consider Kwan as a legend. Do you need unanimous votes?

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertmirsh View Post
    What exactly makes Michelle so superior to Yu Na?
    Her longevity; to medal and to win so many world titles spanning a decade uninterrupted is not common. Indeed, to be an active competitor for so many years uninterrupted pretty much is not common for singles. We would not be having this conversation about Michelle if she got the OGM. She has everything else

vCash
    I'm a rude European, and let me tell you, when it comes to the most popular and most beloved US skater here, it's Johnny Weir, certainly not Kwawn. But what do I know, especially when it comes to the term "legendary" ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    Her longevity; to medal and to win so many world titles spanning a decade uninterrupted is not common. Indeed, to be an active competitor for so many years uninterrupted pretty much is not common for singles. We would not be having this conversation about Michelle if she got the OGM. She has everything else
    Agreed. But at the same time, she would not have had such a long uninterrupted career, had she won the OGM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat decaro View Post
    Agreed. But at the same time, she would not have had such a long uninterrupted career, had she won the OGM.
    We don't know that since she was from the first generation that was allowed to be both eligible and professional at the same time. Plushenko has won 3 Olympic medals, including gold, and wants another, and others maintain their eligibility because in this era it is more valuable than just being a pro. It is so 1992 to think a skater that has the OGM will automatically retire from eligible competition.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 11-03-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    We don't know that since she was from the first generation that was allowed to be both eligible and professional at the same time. Plushenko has won 3 Olympic medals, including gold, and wants another, and others maintain their eligibility because in this era it is more valuable than just being a pro. It is so 1992 to think a skater that has the OGM will automatically retire from eligible competition.
    If Michelle would have won in Nagano, she still would have been a teenager, I think she would have tried to do a Witt and repeat. She might not have lasted till 2006 had she won in salt lake though. She likely would have retired especially if she won two OGM

vCash
    I agree Kwan was probably always staying until SLC. However I also agree she was gone if she won even 1 of Nagano or SLC. The only reason she was around beyond SLC was the elusive Olympic Gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agree Kwan was probably always staying until SLC. However I also agree she was gone if she won even 1 of Nagano or SLC. The only reason she was around beyond SLC was the elusive Olympic Gold.
    Didn't Michelle, when she was 14 or so, say she wanted to go to three Olympics? Not that she should be held to that, but I think she would have tried for two if she had won in 1998.

vCash
    Michelle is one of those rare people who truly loved the challenge of competition.

vCash
    Usually when people who do not follow FS want to find out who are the legendary figures of this sport, they check the list of OGM on Wikipedia. Right now top 10 looks like this (number of olympic medals): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...figure_skating.

Gillis Grafström
    Sonja Henie
    Irina Rodnina
    Artur Dmitriev
    Pierre Brunet
    Andrée Brunet
    Evgeni Plushenko
    Sergei Ponomarenko
    Marina Klimova
    Shen Xue
    Zhao Hongbo
    Beatrix Loughran
    Last edited by ciocio; 11-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.

vCash
    Medals, schmedals.

If Beatrix Loughran is a legend, then Madge Syers, Lily Kronberger, Cecilia Colledge, Maribel Vinson Owen, and Janet Lynn are much greater legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Medals, schmedals.

If Beatrix Loughran is a legend, then Madge Syers, Lily Kronberger, Cecilia Colledge, Maribel Vinson Owen, and Janet Lynn are much greater legends.
    Yes they are, but how could we give people who do not follow FS the opportunity to know them better?

vCash
    That's why this forum and others similar to it; skating history portals, youtube, fsvids, and other video collectors are so important!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Usually when people who do not follow FS want to find out who are the legendary figures of this sport, they check the list of OGM on Wikipedia. Right now top 10 looks like this (number of olympic medals): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...figure_skating.

Gillis Grafström
    Sonja Henie
    Irina Rodnina
    Artur Dmitriev
    Pierre Brunet
    Andrée Brunet
    Evgeni Plushenko
    Sergei Ponomarenko
    Marina Klimova
    Shen Xue
    Zhao Hongbo
    Beatrix Loughran
    LOL, and no Katarina Witt ? Or Gordeeva and Grinkov ? Or Grishuk and Platov ? They are the last 2-time olympic champion, which means a lot for non-skating fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    LOL, and no Katarina Witt ? Or Gordeeva and Grinkov ? Or Grishuk and Platov ? They are the last 2-time olympic champion, which means a lot for non-skating fans.

vCash
    I've posted only skaters with four and three olympic medals, the first part of the list. On wikipedia you can also check the skaters with two olympic medals:Karl Schäfer, Dick Button, Ludmila Belousova, Oleg Protopopov, Alexander Zaitsev, Katarina Witt, Ekaterina Gordeeva, Sergei Grinkov, Oksana Grishuk, Evgeny Platov

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    I've posted only skaters with four and three olympic medals, the first part of the list. On wikipedia you can also check the skaters with two olympic medals:Karl Schäfer, Dick Button, Ludmila Belousova, Oleg Protopopov, Alexander Zaitsev, Katarina Witt, Ekaterina Gordeeva, Sergei Grinkov, Oksana Grishuk, Evgeny Platov
    Ok, it sounds differently...
    Last edited by lala; 11-06-2013 at 09:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Yu Na is a legend and Michelle is not? LOL
    I am not going to get into Michelle, but Yu Na won the first Olympic, Worlds, and other big international titles for a country that had absolutely no skating history prior to her. She also has set numerous World record scores that will last for an extremely long time. She has been the one constant of her era, the same way Kwan was in hers. She has a large number of fans all around the World. She is certainly a legend.

Your taunt of Yu Na and mocking tone of your statement is far worse than the supposed lack of respect you claim for Kwan in this thread.

vCash
    Witt is a legend unfortunately. I wish she wasnt as her skating was just so weak in so many ways even for her. Kadavy, Chin, Trenary, Ito, Manley, Thomas, maybe even Sumners and Zayak, were all more naturally talented skaters but none have the mental count to reflect this.

Grishuk & Platov are legendary I guess due to their achievements, but they are not well liked in many parts of the Worlds. There was a negative buzz about them ever since their controversial Lillehammer win, and it only got worse through years of her diva-like behavior, and obsession with being a cross between Madonna and Marilyn Monroe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat decaro View Post
    That's silly.

Kim pulled off a truly fascinating program to James Bond themes. I think it was the epitome of a camp program themed to popular culture. It testifies to her versatility and range.
    Watching a skater like Nagasu doing such a poor job to that music, also shows what an amazing job Yu Na did what it. Nagasu had better sack her long program fast if she has a prayer of that 3rd U.S Olympic spot. It is bad enough she can barely rotate any clean triples even when she lands them all.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678