Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Which skaters are truly "legendary"...

...among skating fans worldwide, whatever that means (to you)???

Personally I'd say: Sonja Henie, Dick Button, The Protopov's, Irina Rodnina & her partners, Toller Cranston, John Curry, Torvill & Dean, Katarina Witt, Kurt Browning, Gordeeva & Grinkov, Alexei Yagudin, Evgeny Plushenko, Shen & Zhao, Yuna Kim.

???

vCash
    Janet Lynn and Midori Ito

vCash
    Michelle Kwan

vCash
    As much as I'm not a fan, I'd add Elvis Stojko to the list.

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandango View Post

Personally I'd say: Sonja Henie, Dick Button, The Protopov's, Irina Rodnina & her partners, Toller Cranston, John Curry, Torvill & Dean, Katarina Witt, Kurt Browning, Gordeeva & Grinkov, Alexei Yagudin, Evgeny Plushenko, Shen & Zhao, Yuna Kim.

???
    I just think it would be a kind of letdown to have achieved legendary status in such, shall we say, anonymous fashion, like a human appendix. And to add insult to injury, not merely as Rodnina's partner, but "one of" her partners. Makes her sound like Catherine The Great, using and then discarding them with gusto .

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    The inventor of the Layback spin.

vCash

???
    I like most of your list, but I would take Yagudin off and put Kwan on. Whether you like her skating or not, her longevity, consistency and elegance, and achievement record definitely constitute legendary status. While Yagudin was an amazing skater, his accomplishments are not legendary nor does any of his technique stick out in my mind, especially when viewed against skaters like Hamilton, Boitano, Orser and Petrenko, and his record pales in comparison to Plush's. I would also add in Dick Button, Janet Lynn, Midori Ito, possibly Peggy Fleming for bringing a new look to the sport. I think Yu Na is on the edge of legendary, would definitely join the list if she wins another Olympic medal (of any color).
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    It is hard to gage. Each region of the world has their own definition of great.

I would consider Anissina & Peizerat, Orser, Boitano, Klimova & Ponomarenko, Grishuk & Platov, Navka & Kostamarov, The Duchesnay's, Artur Dmitriev with Natalia & Oksana all being legends but IMHO I also think Elvis Stojko, Virtue & Moir and Davis & White are/ will be legends in the sport.

I don't know how Yagudin can't be on the list when he medalled in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 World's and in 2002 and achieved what Michelle Kwan did not with an Olympic gold.
    Last edited by Twilight1; 10-25-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Mishkutenok- Dmtriev as a legendary pair (despite their short career), and Dmitriev as a pairs skater for winning OGM with two different partners.

As much as I hate his commentating, Scott Hamilton needs to be included- not just because he won 4 world titles in a row and an OGM to cap it, but because he offered a future to figure skaters after retirement, by starting Stars on Ice.

I would also include John Curry and Robin Cousins - the latter for what he brought to professional skating (artistry/creativity)

Tamara Moskvina - known more as a legendary coach, rather than skater, but she won the Russian nationals in singles and pairs, created the Biellman spin before Denise Biellman, won world medals (did she win an Olympic medal? Not sure, but I will look it up).

I would also add Klimova-Ponomarenko and (with some reluctance) Grishchuk & Platov.

Michelle Kwan, Midori Ito and Janet Lynn have already been mentioned by other posters.

I wouldn't include any of the current skaters. Let us see how far they will go first.
    Last edited by Vash01; 10-25-2013 at 11:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    I like most of your list, but I would take Yagudin off and put Kwan on. Whether you like her skating or not, her longevity, consistency and elegance, and achievement record definitely constitute legendary status. While Yagudin was an amazing skater, his accomplishments are not legendary nor does any of his technique stick out in my mind, especially when viewed against skaters like Hamilton, Boitano, Orser and Petrenko, and his record pales in comparison to Plush's. I would also add in Dick Button, Janet Lynn, Midori Ito, possibly Peggy Fleming for bringing a new look to the sport. I think Yu Na is on the edge of legendary, would definitely join the list if she wins another Olympic medal (of any color).
    Yagudin not legendary? How does his record pale in comparison to Plushenko? Yagudin basically had to retire at 22 so he didn't even hit his peak as a skater and already had 4 World titles and a dominating win at the Olympics. Plushenko's record might not look as good if Yags had kept skating during the next Olympic cycle.

vCash
    Kwan and Slute -- both of them, for longevity, as well as a great rivalry (IMO)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    I like most of your list, but I would take Yagudin off and put Kwan on.
    Yagudin is the first one that comes to my mind when I think legendary. I don't care if he retired extremely early or won less medals than Plushenko. The guy is, and will forever remain, a skating legend.

I don't know what Shen/Zhao are doing there, though. I never got all the hype around them. They used to bore me to death 90% of their career.

Just put Michelle and Irina on the list, both of them deserve it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Yagudin is the first one that comes to my mind when I think legendary. I don't care if he retired extremely early or won less medals than Plushenko. The guy is, and will forever remain, a skating legend.

I don't know what Shen/Zhao are doing there, though. I never got all the hype around them. They used to bore me to death 90% of their career.

Just put Michelle and Irina on the list, both of them deserve it.
    FSU adores Shen & Zhao. I was never their fan but I would consider them legends because they are the reason (besides Bin Yao) China became OGM contenders in pairs. They went to 4 Olympics, and won medals (including one gold) in three of them- that alone is a great accomplishment. Technically they pushed the envelope with harder jumps, bigger twists and bigger throws. It changed pairs skating. Unfortunately pairs skating lost some of its finer points as a result, but their contributions have been big.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    FSU adores Shen & Zhao. I was never their fan but I would consider them legends because they are the reason (besides Bin Yao) China became OGM contenders in pairs. They went to 4 Olympics, and won medals (including one gold) in three of them- that alone is a great accomplishment. Technically they pushed the envelope with harder jumps, bigger twists and bigger throws. It changed pairs skating. Unfortunately pairs skating lost some of its finer points as a result, but their contributions have been big.
    But this thread isn't about who won more medals or who contributed more to skating, but who is a legend. Yags would be a legend for me, even if he hadn't won an OGM. He was just this kind of a skater, unforgettable, one of a kind. Same goes for Michelle Kwan and some others. Shen/Zhao's accomplishments are amazing, but to me they just didn't have the IT factor. B/S had much more of it, actually, and I don't see them on the list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    But this thread isn't about who won more medals or who contributed more to skating, but who is a legend. Yags would be a legend for me, even if he hadn't won an OGM. He was just this kind of a skater, unforgettable, one of a kind. Same goes for Michelle Kwan and some others. Shen/Zhao's accomplishments are amazing, but to me they just didn't have the IT factor. B/S had much more of it, actually, and I don't see them on the list.
    B&S should be on the list, but I think they will never get credit for their greatness. The cloud of SLC will always follow them in North America at least. It saddens me because I am one of their biggest fans.

'Legendary' is really in the eye of the beholder. The posts here are indicative of that, and that's the way it should be because you cannot define the word precisely.

ETA: I am adding Berezhnaya-Sikharulidze to the list, for all the great qualities they had as pairs skaters- speed, power, musicality, unison, creativity.

I am also adding Dorothy Hamill to the list. Even in her 40's she was still skating with COI. I actually liked her more mature look as a pro, than when she won the OGM. She did everything so well- in perfect position. Her moves were simple but beautifully done.
    Last edited by Vash01; 10-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.

vCash
    I would agree with the original list but exclude Yuna Kim and add Midori Ito...Shen/Zhao are iffy for me, but close since while it took them two decades to achieve what they did, they still achieved it.... Michelle might be included on that list too, despite no Olympic gold. Klimova/Ponomarenko and Grishuk/Platov could be on there too...and Artur Dmitriev with Natalia.

For me legendary means people who are so unique that they cannot be duplicated and are forever different from anyone else. They may have burst onto the scene for a short time or were around for longer. Other skaters might be giants of the sport with huge accomplishments but they aren't necessarily legendary.

I think that most on that top list definitely are the core group with others to be debated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    For me legendary means people who are so unique that they cannot be duplicated and are forever different from anyone else. They may have burst onto the scene for a short time or were around for longer. Other skaters might be giants of the sport with huge accomplishments but they aren't necessarily legendary.
    That's a great definition, I totally agree! I would also say they are the ones who stay in people's memory and hearts the longest.

I also believe in "legendary" rivalries. Plushenko vs Yagudin, Michelle vs Irina, Mao vs. Yuna, D/W vs V/M - people will remember those battles for glory, even if they forget the programs invloved.
    (forgive me for not giving older examples, I've been following skating since around 2000)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    The inventor of the Layback spin.
    Yes, the legendary Raphael Layback. He was amazing!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I don't know how Yagudin can't be on the list when he medalled in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 World's and in 2002 and achieved what Michelle Kwan did not with an Olympic gold.
    Everyone obviously has different definitions of "legendary."

I believe a big part of what makes Michelle Kwan legendary is the very fact that she did not win an Olympic gold. Her struggles in the face of her own greatness, as well as her grace despite her struggles, are some of the many things that make her story legendary.

I would put Janet Lynn into this category as well. It wasn't what she won, but what she did not win and how she got up from falling and how she smiled no matter what.

O-

Comansnala?
    vCash

???
    Agree, plus Mishkotionok/Dmitriev, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze, Irina Slutskaya and The Duchesnays ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast