Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Ice Challenge Senior Pairs SP is scheduled to begin tomorrow (Friday, Nov. 22) at 18:15 (CORRECTION 12:15 pm Eastern) in Graz, Austria. Yankowskas/Gaman are scheduled to make their debut skating 4th of the 6 pairs. Link to the live stream is posted in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...(Graz-Austria)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-22-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: To correct start time to 12:15!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ice Challenge Senior Pairs SP is scheduled to begin tomorrow (Friday, Nov. 22) at 18:15 (2:15 pm Eastern) in Graz, Austria. Yankowskas/Gaman are scheduled to make their debut skating 4th of the 6 pairs. Link to the live stream is posted in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...(Graz-Austria)
    Can't wait to see them. I hope this partnership works out.

vCash
    After checking out the times, et al, in the K&C area, I think I'll be able to watch it, YES!!!!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Hoping Caitlin and Hamish have a great debut in Austria tomorrow!!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    I'm so excited, thanks for the stream info. I conveniently have tomorrow off!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    To answer a question upstream, Fancy/Boyadji made the TES Minimums for Olympics/Euros and Worlds at Warsaw Cup. They previously made the SP minimum at Lombardia, and they did significantly better in TES and PCS in their FS at Warsaw Cup.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ice Challenge Senior Pairs SP is scheduled to begin tomorrow (Friday, Nov. 22) at 18:15 (2:15 pm Eastern) in Graz, Austria. Yankowskas/Gaman are scheduled to make their debut skating 4th of the 6 pairs. Link to the live stream is posted in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...(Graz-Austria)
    Isn't it 12:15pm Eastern? There's a 6 hour time difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Isn't it 12:15pm Eastern? There's a 6 hour time difference.
    Yes, thanks for the catch! I subtracted wrongly - math was never my forte!

I've now corrected the start time in all the other posts I made yesterday.

Good luck to Caitlin & Hamish!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    All the events are available online after the event as well
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    I don't know whether to cry or be angry. Obviously, many of their technical elements were easier, but they looked so elegant out there. He has really nice lines for a male pairs skater, it's a bit rare. He also seems really strong, lean, but strong. It doesn't look like he's out of shape at all! He has a very youthful face. I'm happy for her, but I'm so sad all that beauty won't "possibly" (don't want to jinx it), be the face of US pairs. Instead we get team tacky .

Now get married already and get cracking on that citizenship. I haz hopes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I don't know whether to cry or be angry. Obviously, many of their technical elements were easier, but they looked so elegant out there. He has really nice lines for a male pairs skater, it's a bit rare. He also seems really strong, lean, but strong. It doesn't look like he's out of shape at all! He has a very youthful face. I'm happy for her, but I'm so sad all that beauty won't "possibly" (don't want to jinx it), be the face of US pairs. Instead we get team tacky .

Why marriage? Are they dating? Marriage should not be just to get a citizenship in order to compete in the Olympics.

I am sad that Yankowskas won't skate for the USA but I am happy that at least she is skating & competing.

vCash
    I also thought they looked very nice together. Obviously not jelled yet, but a great debut. Caitlin looked very happy to be out there, as well she might after such a long layoff.

vCash
    Here is what I wrote this AM when I first saw them skate (copied & pasted from the K&C):

OMG, I'm in love!!!! Seriously, I love love love this pairing, they're even more balletic, elegant, sophisticated, et al than Donlan & Speroff! Yes, they only did doubles, but I'm impressed, he's just as exquisite as Caitlin, and they look like two halves of a perfect whole....

ETA: I just now watched them again on replay here: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/1...events/2546284 *starts at 31 mark*

Caitlin reminds me of a young Ludmilia Protopopov (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludmila_Belousova) and Hamish reminds me of Prince Harry of Wales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Harry_of_Wales).

Caitlin's arms are like "liquid gold" (shades of Oksana Baiul); she's thee most balletic female pair skater out there imho. And Hamish is so tall, handsome, lithe, elegant, and on & on. One of my new all-time favorite pairs.... *insert heart emoticon*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Why marriage? Are they dating? Marriage should not be just to get a citizenship in order to compete in the Olympics.

I am sad that Yankowskas won't skate for the USA but I am happy that at least she is skating & competing.
    a. I'm joking, chill.
    b. Some of the UK people mentioned the only possible way they'd make it to the next Olympics is if she applied for citizenship as a spouse, and even that would be pushing it time wise. I think they said she'd still have to wait three years.
    Last edited by Jessiebanana; 11-22-2013 at 11:58 PM.

vCash
    IIRC Aliona Savchenko got her German citizenship very quickly to skate in the 2006 Olympics but I don't remember how long she had lived in Germany at that point. Caitlin has only moved to the UK just now. (Before anyone bashes me) I do realize that UK and Germany are different countries with their own immigration laws, but I also know that more than one country has bent its laws to grant citizenship in a hurry to promising skaters (Belbin, for example, and I already mentioned Savchenko). The 2014 Olympics are out of the question for Y&G, but by 2018 even regular immigration procedures would be enough, I am thinking.

vCash
    Once again, the laws were not really bent for Belbin. The law was to correct an inequity in the immigration laws that happened post 9/11.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Re-posting from earlier in this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    Caitlin would need to be here full time for five years before being able to apply for British citizenship under current rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I doubt that Caitlin Yankowskas is seriously entertaining the thought of representing Great Britain in Pyeongchang. She'd need to move to the U.K. and marry or have civil partnership with a British citizen.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...p/eligibility/

On the other hand, skating with Gaman will keep her busy and at least let her compete at British Nationals this season.
    As of now, AFAIK, Yankowskas/Gaman are training in Canton, Michigan.

I think it was smart for Y/G to focus on skating as cleanly as possible in their SP (double twist, sbs 2T, throw 2S) and international debut. They look well-matched physically and I hope they will continue to progress at their own pace.

ETA link to official SP results and detailed protocols.

Senior Pairs FS is scheduled to start on Saturday at 12:15 pm Eastern.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-23-2013 at 01:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Once again, the laws were not really bent for Belbin. The law was to correct an inequity in the immigration laws that happened post 9/11.
    This. Some countries bend the rules, but that usually happens in countries where the government has more unchallenged influence. Something tells me that won't fly in the UK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek but it's not going to happen. Even if they got married, they would have to live in the UK for her to get citizenship and it would still take a while.

vCash
    Verrry happy for her!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast