Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    That's correct. So the wedding should be sooner than later, if they plan to compete at Olympics 2018.
    But she would still have to live here full time for a minimum of three years before applying.
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Btw I love his old-fashioned name "Hamish", can't get any more British than that. jmho.
    After sitting out 2 seasons I think she just wants to compete. If British Nationals is her only option then so be it. She's been looking for 2 years, it's not as if she hasn't tried to find a U.S. partner or one who was currently competing.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Understood, but I'd be more optimistic if she had chosen a country with at least a few male Pairs skaters, so that if it didn't work out with him, she could switch to someone from the same country without needing a release or waiting it out for a year.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Understood, but I'd be more optimistic if she had chosen a country with at least a few male Pairs skaters, so that if it didn't work out with him, she could switch to someone from the same country without needing a release or waiting it out for a year.
    I don't think she had that much of choice, otherwise she wouldn't have wasted 2 years if she was in position of choosing which country has several male partners free. Besides, even if she chose some country who had several partners free, how could anyone guarantee that by the time she would see that this partnership did not work out, that the other partners are still free? Or that they would be actually compatible? I think it is hard enough to find one partner. It would be impossible to find a country which has several potential partners, who in addition are compatible to her (skills, height etc).

vCash
    I wish somebody had a secret video of them practicing? Seriously, I'm curious to see how they come across as a pair on ice. I'm honestly just happy for Caitlyn and hope one day her dream of competing in the Olympics is realized.

vCash
    They were practising in Guildford, in the UK a few months ago. And she had to take skating tests.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm not saying she should have waited. I'm saying I'd be more optimistic that she'll have a long career starting a partnership with a 30-year-old who's been out of competition and elite training for a while and being tied to the British Fed and having to sit out for a year if it doesn't work out and she's released.

In other countries, there might be other partners for her, were it not to work out. However, a long-term strategy might be that the British Fed wouldn't hold a release so she couldn't skate with a Canadian, for example, because they really don't have anyone to protect by holding her, whereas USFS might -- the release rules aten't public -- and in the meantime, they should get some international assignment to establish TES minimums, and they'll likely get immediate access to championships, which should qualify them for GP's, assuming they get the scores. (2014-15 GP is too late for them to get a split couple spot based on her results with Coughlin.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I wish them all the best. If he hasn't been training steadily, competing this soon may be difficult. Do we know how long they have been skating together? (or did I miss that info)

vCash
    I've said a lot of things about the British Federation before but I actually don't see them holding someone against their will. They have released good skaters quickly before. And there probably wouldn't be anyone else to hold onto a pair skater for anyway.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Exactly. Because we have no clue what the US release policy is, it's possible that Yankowskas' choices were to sit out up to another two seasons (unless another Fed asked for an except from the ISU) were she to partner with someone who could be competitive with US teams, or get a lot of experience with a new partner in an open field, and if it doesn't work out, get a release from GBR and sit out one calendar year getting up to speed with a new partner from another country. If she would have been released anyway, it's still a reasonable to get championship berths up front, and a transition to a new partner would still be possible, regardless of the country.

vCash
    I'm just so happy that she's found a partner and will be competing soon. She's such a beautiful skater, that I've missed seeing her. I was a bit disappointed when I heard he was 30, because I want success for her, but after thinking about it I don't believe it matters. It can't possibly help her chances or her career sitting it out. The only country that seems to produce these big male pair skaters regularly is Russia and that's just not an option.

I'm going to hope for that this is a good experience regardless to where it takes her. 23 is certainly not too old to find and solidify a partner. Pairs skating can be sh*t show sometimes and experienced committed mature teams take the crown. Youth doesn't really have the edge the way it does in singles. If he's been out for years, his body may be in excellent shape compared to men like Robin who've been skating all through out their 20s. I'll be curious to see where his jumps are after not training for so long. I can't imagine Caitlin would've have settled for him, no matter how desperate, if he wasn't ready to try again.

I'd have liked her to skate for the US, but frankly the US pairs pool kind of puts me off right now, so I why not release her to more open pastures.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    I'd have liked her to skate for the US, but frankly the US pairs pool kind of puts me off right now, so I why not release her to more open pastures.
    Don't be greedy! You have got plenty of pairs!
    If you really want to see her competing, it may be a god job that she is skating for GBR. There is only Kemp/King, who I think are on their way out, then the new pair Amani Fancy with the French guy (sorry forgot his name), but they haven't been that impressive in their senior B competition, so as long as Y/G are even just semi-decent, they will get to Europeans and worlds.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    If his show reel is any indication, Gaman looks like a good skater with a strong pairs build.

vCash
    Don't be greedy! You have got plenty of pairs!
    If you really want to see her competing, it may be a god job that she is skating for GBR. There is only Kemp/King, who I think are on their way out, then the new pair Amani Fancy with the French guy (sorry forgot his name), but they haven't been that impressive in their senior B competition, so as long as Y/G are even just semi-decent, they will get to Europeans and worlds.
    Haha, I'm not. I'm not particularly nationalistic. I like skaters whomever they're skating for, it's more that I hate Caydee and John and was really hoping for her to land an amazing partner and show up their tackiness at Nationals. It's very mature of me .

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Haha, I'm not. I'm not particularly nationalistic. I like skaters whomever they're skating for, it's more that I hate Caydee and John and was really hoping for her to land an amazing partner and show up their tackiness at Nationals. It's very mature of me .
    Haha, I like you, and totally agree, except exchange the word "hate" with "dislike."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Haha, I like you, and totally agree, except exchange the word "hate" with "dislike."
    My sarcasm pushes me toward hyperbolism, it drives some people I know IRL crazy. I'm like, it drives me crazy that you know me and you know what I mean and you choose to interpret me otherwise !

vCash
    Well, she may not beat Caydee and John at nationals, but she can always beat them at worlds! That's a better achievement, wouldn't you say? Unlike Caydee and John, Caitlin and Hamish would have their ticket to worlds sure (as long as they beat Kemp-King and Fancy-French guy, which shouldn't be that hard to achieve).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It worked for Diane de Leeuw.

vCash

Wink French fancy

Well, she may not beat Caydee and John at nationals, but she can always beat them at worlds! That's a better achievement, wouldn't you say? Unlike Caydee and John, Caitlin and Hamish would have their ticket to worlds sure (as long as they beat Kemp-King and Fancy-French guy, which shouldn't be that hard to achieve).
    Amani and partner should hereon be known as 'French Fancy'

This could be exciting times at the British Champs. Three senior pairs!!!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Or just someone to get her back into international competitions and improve her visibility to make her permanent partner search easier. This guy could be a placeholder.
    That's what I was thinking. It's better for her to be out skating with anyone than letting her skills get stale. I am glad Caitlin is skating pairs again.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast