Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    She 23 herself. That's not exactly Spring Chicken Time for a pairs girl.

That said, I'm happy she's found a partner and hope she's happy skating again.
    Lol!!! Have you looked at the bios for Tatiana/Max, Aliona/Robin or Pang/Tong?? Their all grandparents by your standards. Wasnt Zhao 37 when he won Olympic gold in 2010?

vCash
    Was totally surprised by this news. I thought I saw Caitlin in the opening shots of Skate America on IN. There was a pretty blonde in a white dress doing a spin. If it wasn't her who was it?

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I saw them practicing last week in Canton when I stopped by (had no idea who the guy was), but I was too scared of Johnny Johns and Marina's papered windows to go all the way into the rink and watch.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I have no reason to think she is British, but could her parents apply through the grandparents, and then she could get it through them? Wonder if that takes more than 4 years to get all the paperwork through
    Nice try, but no The 'passing down of citizenship' is only by a parent if that parent is British in their own right (if the parent has British citizenship only via their own parent, they can't pass it on ...) ie passing citizenship to a child is only for one generation.
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    But why pick a partner who's already 30? He can't have many good years left.
    UGH!
    What an awful thing to say.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    A release is needed if you want to represent another country internationally.
    Theoretically, the ISU could grant an exception after a skater's been held for two years, but I don't know of any skater who's done this successfully.

The USFS has a release policy, but it's not published. One that was leaked around 2006 or 7 had one standard for skaters who had certain results, but another auto-release standard for those who hadn't, although USFS can grant a release sooner. It's possible she'd met the current criteria when given her release.

Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Or just someone to get her back into international competitions and improve her visibility to make her permanent partner search easier. This guy could be a placeholder.
    If she competes for GBR and finds another partner, if the new partner isn't from GBR, she'd need to get a release from the British federation and sit out a year. Between that and his age, I wonder what her reasoning is.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 10-25-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Also, the British federation isn't able to support their athletes at all and from what I know the skaters are paying their own expenses when travelling to international competitions.

vCash
    Hmmm, after reading the entire thread, it is my humble opinion that they're in love and will get married soon, thus they do not have to worry about Caitlyn getting instant British citizenship.

I'm just really happy that she found a partner, and he seems like a great guy judging from the video and comments. Also, I think they should have no problem being the #1 GRB pair team, and all the rewards that follow (aka Euros, Worlds, Olympics). The world is their oyster!

vCash
    THRILLED for Caitlyn to finally have found a partner - gutted that she won't be skating for the US, but I wish her and Gaman the best of luck. She's had some unfortunate luck, and it's a shame that a lady of her talent had such difficulty finding a partner. I look forward to seeing and hearing about how this new team develops

vCash
    This is a great news. Thrilled to see Caitlin skate/compete again!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Hmmm, after reading the entire thread, it is my humble opinion that they're in love and will get married soon, thus they do not have to worry about Caitlyn getting instant British citizenship.

I'm just really happy that she found a partner, and he seems like a great guy judging from the video and comments. Also, I think they should have no problem being the #1 GRB pair team, and all the rewards that follow (aka Euros, Worlds, Olympics). The world is their oyster!
    Yay !!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    Could she not also qualify if one of her parents is British? Does anyone know if she is of British ancestry?
    Yankowskas. A veddy, veddy English surname.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Also, the British federation isn't able to support their athletes at all and from what I know the skaters are paying their own expenses when travelling to international competitions.
    I don't think that's ever been an issue for her .
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Maybe she'll marry him, just to get citizenship? A la Navka and Morozov?

vCash
    I think if you marry a British person it cuts the 5 year wait to 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I think if you marry a British person it cuts the 5 year wait to 3.
    That's correct. So the wedding should be sooner than later, if they plan to compete at Olympics 2018.

vCash
    I'm thrilled that Caitlin has a new pairs partner. All the best to them!

vCash
    Congratulations to them both. People so underestimate how INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT it is to be a practitioner of the sport of pair skating. Even if you have the talent, resources, body type/look, coaching, etc., it takes a certain amount of "luck" - to find a partner and stay together through thick and thin. The nationality issue is another huge dilemma, so it's something to be grateful that the federations understand somewhat in this regard for this discipline.

Good luck to them both.

vCash
    I wonder if they considered skating for the U.S. instead of GBR. One of them would have to change citizenship anyhow, so they could have pursued competing for the U.S. On the other hand, it sounds like their path to Worlds/Olympics(?) will be easier in Britain. Interesting to speculate if there's a personal relationship behind the partnership! Is it just me, or did anyone else get the impression that Caitlin & Josh Reagan dated for a while before their partnership broke up??

Gaman's age does worry me, but at the same time it's true that top-level pairs are getting older as a group, I think because it takes so long to develop the difficult pairs skills and gel as partners. So his age isn't ideal, but isn't necessarily a dealbreaker, either.

vCash
    Btw I love his old-fashioned name "Hamish", can't get any more British than that. jmho.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast