Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    With 'only' three seniors pairs? Actually, that's quite a high number for GBR. The last few years there was only one, max two pairs!
    You're so right. I guess when comparing it to the US nationals, that number appears low. I'm glad they have three this year.

vCash
    I wouldn't worry about worlds yet. Without wanting to be unkind, Caitlin/Hamish's technical content is not ready yet for Worlds anyway. GBR has only one spot at worlds because Kemp-King placed 15 last year at worlds. The chances are that Kemp-King will be send. This season I would concentrate on beating Fancy/Boyadji at British nationals and getting to Europeans. The scores Caitlin/Hamish and Fancy/Boyadji are pretty close.

Saying that, the scores for Kemp-King from Europeans 2013 are 131.51 and from Worlds 2013 are 133.56. Fancy/Boyadji scored 127.27 at Warsaw Cup and Caitlin/Hamish 125.72 at this competition. It seems to me that both new pairs are VERY close to Kemp-King (considering how short time both new pairs have been together) and if Kemp-King don't retire after the Olympics, they will definitely be beatable the next year.
    I understand what you're saying about technical content. The only reason I want them to go to Worlds is so I can see her skate more and so I can watch their progress. If they're done for the season, they can get better in a few months, but I won't see it until next year. It's purely selfish motivation. I have no expectations of them doing well, just gaining more outings as a team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hlp728 View Post
    NISA has a rundown of all the British skating Participants with tiny pics of Caitlin and Hamish. Scroll down to page 4 and 7. I'm biased, but they look great together.
    http://www.iceskating.org.uk/files/u...ips%202013.pdf
    Oh wow, I didn't realize the national competition was so early. I guess it's all about Europeans though?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    Oh wow, I didn't realize the national competition was so early. I guess it's all about Europeans though?
    Euros is mid January, so I guess so. 11/28 is the Pairs SP and 11/29 Pairs LP for the British Championships. This has the times they compete. http://www.iceskating.org.uk/files/u...metable%20.xls. They also will get to skate in the gala on 11/30. Best Wishes for Caitlin and Hamish!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    It's not really very early. The majority of Nationals are in December.

vCash
    Results of British Champs Senior Pairs: 1st Amani Fancy & Christopher Boyadji 141.28, 2nd Stacey Kemp & David King 132.07, 3rd Caitlin Yankowskas & Hamish Gaman 130.27.

vCash
    Well, on the positive note, after skating together for not that long, Yankowskas/Gaman managed to beat Kemp/King in the FS. Unfortunately in the SP Y/G were 3 points lower than K/K so K/K still ended ahead of K/K.

I know there will be plenty of posters saying that this partnership won't last because they are not having good enough results, but after a few months skating together placing just 2 points below someone who has skated together for many years, I don't see it so negatively. They do need to improve, they need to upgrade their elements, especially their sbs jumps, throw jumps, but I think they have done pretty well.

vCash
    I'm sure they weren't expecting to place better than third, given they were going only for double jumps. It's probably what they are capable of at this stage, given they haven't been skating together very long.

vCash
    Ziggy, I am not sure what Y/G expected, but this is not Russia. K/K are also doing only double sbs jumps (although they did 3 throw Flip and 3 throw loop and 3 twist). Fancy/Bojadi won it with doing only double jumps (plus throw triple Salchow), so it is not like if Y/G are doing doubles while everyone around them is doing triples.

vCash
    Y/G didn't even go for 2a though which the others did. I think Ziggy is right, they can't have been 'aiming' for a win with their planned content.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    so it is not like if Y/G are doing doubles while everyone around them is doing triples.

Kemp/King attempt sbs 2axels and 3twist and they can consistently land th3loop and th3flip (although they bombed here).

Fancy/Boyadji have sbs 2axels and th3salchow.

Yankowskas/Gaman aren't even attempting 2axels or any triples at this point.

The aim was probably to get themselves out there, get some competition experience and show the federation they are serious about this.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    F/B have their TES minimums from Warsaw Cup, and they could be sent as National Champions to Euros and Worlds, with the assumption that K/K are the only ones eligible to go to Sochi. Y/G aren't ready for prime time yet if they've got that low technical content and are just hovering below the low bar of Euros minimums. There's no reason for them not be assigned to a March Senior B when they've had six months together under their belts. There are senior Pairs scheduled for Sportland Trophy (Budapest), Challenge Cup (The Hague), Coupe de Printemps (Luxembourg), and Mladost Trophy (Zagreb) in March 2014. (None of the April Senior B's have Pairs.)
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    This team may not have the higher level technical components down yet, but performance wise they are so elegant and striking. Hamish is quite expressive and fits perfectly with Caitlin. Can't wait to see how they progress and how these British pairs team push each other to improve. I really like the enthusiasm of Amani. Hopefully, they will get one of the Spring Senior B events mentioned above.

When was the last time Hamish competed? I know it's been not quite three years for Caitlin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Kemp/King attempt sbs 2axels and 3twist and they can consistently land th3loop and th3flip (although they bombed here).

The aim was probably to get themselves out there, get some competition experience and show the federation they are serious about this.
    I agree, Y/G are probably just trying to get their feet wet by skating clean and will add more difficult content next season. They obviously can do it but as a pair it takes time. They skated very well, I hope it continues.

vCash

If you read my whole post #129, you will notice that I did write "K/K are also doing only double sbs jumps (although they did 3 throw Flip and 3 throw loop and 3 twist). Fancy/Bojadi won it with doing only double jumps (plus throw triple Salchow)". But no one did triple sbs jumps and yes, K/K have double axel but the majority times Kemp falls on it. she did at this competition too. F/B have a good double axel.

vCash

I agree Ziggy - it was very clear that Y/G were out to skate cleanly - and why not What they did was done nicely and they looked good together. However they did simple jumps and I'm sure that doing the easier jumps, K/K wouldn't have had any issues either. Stacey is usually consistent with her throw jumps, they are doing triple twist and 2As, K/G are not. No doubt they will be upping the difficulty of their elements as they continue to fit together as a team and it may have been quite some time since Hamish was training triple jumps and 2As so I wouldn't expect them to be full on so soon.

Y/G seemed happy together, chatty, friendly with each other and that was nice to see. I'd love to know whether anyone saw what actually caused Hamish's fall - from my viewpoint in the kiss'n'cry area he was too close to the barrier for me to see what happened. He was complaining about his trousers after their skate as though that was the issue?
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Congratulations to them for achieving what by any measure is a challenging set of goals. Finding each other. Learning to skate with each other. Returning to competition. They should both be very proud, and I wish them well. By next season, should be quite impressive to see. Actually, hopefully we will see more of them with other internationals in the early spring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Congratulations to them for achieving what by any measure is a challenging set of goals. Finding each other. Learning to skate with each other. Returning to competition. They should both be very proud, and I wish them well. By next season, should be quite impressive to see. Actually, hopefully we will see more of them with other internationals in the early spring.
    Yes!

vCash
    Absolutely agree - they look world class to me and the elements will get there.

vCash
    Well, on the positive note, after skating together for not that long, Yankowskas/Gaman managed to beat Kemp/King in the FS. Unfortunately in the SP Y/G were 3 points lower than K/K so K/K still ended ahead of K/K.

I know there will be plenty of posters saying that this partnership won't last because they are not having good enough results, but after a few months skating together placing just 2 points below someone who has skated together for many years, I don't see it so negatively. They do need to improve, they need to upgrade their elements, especially their sbs jumps, throw jumps, but I think they have done pretty well.
    I don't know why anyone would say that, except to be a negative nancy. I think they look really good for the couple months they've been skating together. Anything else is unrealistic. I think it's smart they chose to get out and start competing. They have nothing to lose and experience to gain. They seem to have a lot of natural potential together. We can't predict the future, but there is no reason to think they'll fail...other than the fact that pairs partnerships are a tad unstable in general.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast