Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

vCash

New GBR pair: Caitlin Yankowskas & Hamish Gaman

I thought I would start a new thread for this news now that this new team is listed to make their international debut at Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria next month.

Re-posting from the Yankowskas partner search thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    2013 Ice Challenge - Entries

Scroll down to Senior Pairs. Caitlin Yankowskas/Hamish Gaman GBR!!!

Very surprising. Gaman is 30 now and he hasn't competed in quite a long time (he has been coaching). He also never really had success on the international stage, if I can recall correctly. Here's his old ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00007084.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Hamish is a lovely guy. He skated with Bridget Namiotka, and then Vanessa James before she went to skate for France. I am pleased to hear he has such a good new partner
    Quote Originally Posted by whoa View Post
    I was sitting near her during SA - he must have been the guy sitting next to her! They seemed jovial; I hope everything works out for her. I'd love to see her succeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Caitlin Yankowskas/Hamish Gaman - multicultural melting pot in that set of names...

Bets of luck to them!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Some background info.

Their previous partnerships:
    Rebecca Collett / Hamish Gaman /GBR/
    Caitlin Yankowskas / John Coughlin /USA/

Hamish Gaman has also skated with Bridget Namiotka and Vanessa James and worked as a coach.

vCash
    I am glad Caitlin has a new partner. But, as an American pairs fan, I'm sad it's not a U.S. partner. She was one of our greatest talents, so to see her go to another country is disappointing. But I certainly understand it, she can't wait forever for a good U.S. partner to come along. I hope this partnership works out for her. I think his age is not ideal. Assuming they stay together, it will take them several years to get up to speed. That would make him 32 at least before they could even start to be competitive. But I wish them the best of luck and hope it works out for her. I am a huge fan of Caitlin!

vCash
    Does this mean Caitlin has been released by the US? Or is that only needed for Championship level competitions?

vCash
    Glad she found a partner! I hope it goes well.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Does this mean Caitlin has been released by the US?
    She was released by USFS earlier this summer, from what I heard.

Re-posting from the Ice Challenge thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    GBR Caitlin Yankowskas/Hamish Gaman wow, didn't see that coming!

He's skated with Rebecca Collett, Danielle Guppy, Vanessa James, Bridget Namiotka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbfXtSYEvI
    Video description reads: "Bridget Namiotka and Hamish Gaman 2008 show (after skating together a couple months)"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm glad the USFS has released Caitlin and she can concentrate on her new partnership with Hamish.

Best of luck to them both and looking forward to seeing how they do at Ice Challenge.

vCash
    Any idea where they are training? She was with Johnny Johns in Michigan when she skated with Joshua Reagan.

Wishing them the best!

vCash
    I'm disappointed Caitlin couldn't find a partner in the USA, but I'm happy for her that she has found a partner and will be competing soon for GB. I'll be rooting for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Does this mean Caitlin has been released by the US? Or is that only needed for Championship level competitions?
    A release is needed if you want to represent another country internationally.

vCash
    I'm glad she found a partner but it is rather disappointing that she couldn't find one in the U.S.

vCash
    If she had found an American partner, it wouldn't have been very likely for her to be able to compete internationally again given the level of US Pairs at the moment.

vCash
    But why pick a partner who's already 30? He can't have many good years left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    She's 160cm tall, if her ISU bio is correct, so she's not exactly spoiled for choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    Any idea where they are training? She was with Johnny Johns in Michigan when she skated with Joshua Reagan.
    I think she's still in Michigan. My friend and I stopped by Canton before our flight out of Detroit after SA so she could check out the facilities, and she said she saw Caitlin there training with "a super tall guy."

vCash
    Good luck to them!! Interestingly enough, John Coughlin skated with Bridget Namiotka before skating with Caitlin. Partner-go-round!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    She's 160cm tall, if her ISU bio is correct, so she's not exactly spoiled for choice.
    And Hamish is a big, tall guy
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Wow. I understand the height issue, of course; but he's 30 and no longer training... But I get it. If she's had great difficulty finding a partner, why not? I hope this works out for the both of them.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I'm guessing she is looking for 4 years.

YEAH!
    vCash
    So he's older and coming out of coaching to skate with her... it's her Stanislav Morozov, except Morozov was around 25 when he started skating with Volosozhar. I wish Caitlin the best of luck. If all they want is to go to the 2018 Olympics and she can get citizenship, that sounds realistic, but if they want international medals, it'll be a tough road starting out at this age... can anyone give some insight on Gaman? Was he considered the stronger or weaker partner in his pairings, what jumps did he have, was he consistent, was he a good lifter, etc?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast