Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

vCash
    Ok. It was just to make sure I got everything right see?
    And because Ten is in there. Ah Ten. I still miss him sometimes.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Just a fun fact that made me smile... 10 is married to 5's daughter!

vCash
    He's also married to HIS daughter
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Okay, this is one of the funniest thing to come out in a long time. Watch until the end.

Hope the link works.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy
    I loved it! I loved all of the family members playing themseleves, and the larger Who family as well. I loved Barrowman's little secret.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I was out all day with family stuff, but I've recorded both the Adventures in Time and Space and the special for viewing tonight and tomorrow. It just started hailing here, so I'm happy to curl up with some hot tea and the Dr.
    My whole weekend was just a Dr. Who weekend.. I basically ignored the 180 papers I had to mark (did 10 today).. had lots of earl grey and literally watched the retrospectives of all the Dr's.. I really appreciate the witty style now of writing..

Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    So, is it completely ridiculous that when my old favourite Doctor Tom Baker appeared I was

me too - he was my first Dr as well.. LOL..

I LOVED the end scenes
    me too.. also leaves many questions..

My Whovian daughter is off to the movies tonight to watch it in 3d - she basically ignored me all weekend in case I said something.. fortunately she lives about 4 hours away so wasn't too difficult and she appreciates that when she is home for Xmas I have 10 hours of Dr. Who for her to watch..

So for Canadians.. when does the new season start? When will we get the Xmas special??
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    So for Canadians.. when does the new season start? When will we get the Xmas special??
    The last couple of years we've had the Christmas special on Christmas day. I'm hoping it will be the same this time around. As for the new season, not sure if that's been announced yet. Spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    ... And it was fun to hear "13" with such determination. Got me excited for the next series.
    And was it just my imagination (wishful thinking) or was that a Scottish accent on that "thirteen"? It will be kind of funny, though, if they let him be Scottish when Ten had to be English.

And ... will he be Thirteen? Or will he be Twelve? We can't renumber all the previous ones but what about the future ones?

I just got back from seeing it, btw. It was thrilling and fantastic -- both the show itself and the experience of sharing it with a theatre full of Whovians. (Tho I was surprised that they were all teens & 20-somethings. Almost no one else my age. Weird. Saw some older folks in the lineup for the second showing though.)

I was glad I brought my Kleenex -- Clara's scene with The War Doctor, her scene with the three Doctors on Gallifrey, and then the appearance of Tom Baker ... lots of tears. In a good way.

It wasn't perfect, though. I agree that the Elizabethan scenes were just silly, but I also thought the Zygon storyline was unnecessary. I know there's an unwritten rule, esp in NuWho, that all the "big" episodes have a present-day-London connection, but the Time War storyline is so huge, and so previously shrouded in mystery, that I would have been happier to have the majority of the episode take place on Gallifrey, focussing on the war. The stuff about "all the Gallifreyan children lost in the war" would have been so much more poignant if they'd had some, well, Gallifreyan characters. And would have made 8.5's heartache and heavy sorrow more meaningful.

But I'll forgive Moffat, because the way he tied the stories together did work. Really, really well. It just wasn't the big reveal I was hoping for.

Afterlife
    vCash
    The new season starts filming in January so we probably won't get season 8 until the fall. I would imagine the Christmas special will air in North America on Christmas day again. It has done for the last 3 years I've been watching anyway. Since the series airs same day on BBC America and Space I imagine they would keep with that tradition.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    It was fun. dh was confused by the curator, as he was SURE Tom Baker had died a few years ago.

Clara still bugs me, though. . . Oh well.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Yes, I find Clara the special snowflake impossible girl very annoying. Are we stuck with her for another doctor?

vCash
    It would appear so. Yes, she's WAY too special snowflakey perfect, and that's what I find so frustrating about her. Smug about it, too.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

And was it just my imagination (wishful thinking) or was that a Scottish accent on that "thirteen"? It will be kind of funny, though, if they let him be Scottish when Ten had to be English.
    Rumor is that Peter Capaldi will go the Sylvester McCoy route and keep his Scottish accent. David Tennant has jokingly said he's annoyed about that.

And ... will he be Thirteen? Or will he be Twelve? We can't renumber all the previous ones but what about the future ones?
    He's technically the twelfth regeneration and the thirteenth doctor (in "The Five Doctor" Peter Davison's Doctor tells the first Doctor that he's "the fourth regeneration." So one could go either way.

It wasn't perfect, though. I agree that the Elizabethan scenes were just silly, but I also thought the Zygon storyline was unnecessary. I know there's an unwritten rule, esp in NuWho, that all the "big" episodes have a present-day-London connection, but the Time War storyline is so huge, and so previously shrouded in mystery, that I would have been happier to have the majority of the episode take place on Gallifrey, focussing on the war. The stuff about "all the Gallifreyan children lost in the war" would have been so much more poignant if they'd had some, well, Gallifreyan characters. And would have made 8.5's heartache and heavy sorrow more meaningful.

But I'll forgive Moffat, because the way he tied the stories together did work. Really, really well. It just wasn't the big reveal I was hoping for.
    I can see why he didn't do TOO much with as he was busy inserting callbacks to the last fifty years and if you look at the last fifty years...the High Council at least are kind of traditionally a--holes. Also it would have taken AGES to cram in stuff about Galifreyan culture that would probably just have annoyed people (explaining their social structure, clearing up once and for all if ALL of them can regenerate/are Time Lords, which would actually argue against there being that many children as a species who can ALL regeneration have a very, very limited need for sexual reproduction). Heck, if you're going to get into the Great Whole History of Galifrey can we please get an explanation of 1. how does the Doctor have a granddaughter, which he inarguably does, and 2. what happened to her parents when Grandfather decided to rip off a busted TARDIS and take her gallivanting around the space and time? Were they already dead? Speaking of Susan, he promised he'd come back, that WAS a Dalek story, so.....? Spending too much time on Galifrey begs too many questions and maybe they'll be answered anyway over the next series.

And I'm 100% fine with getting rid of the whole "Galifrey can never come back not ever ever EVER!" *footstomp* because oh come on. Tons of things come back. Who HASN'T exterminated the Daleks by now?

vCash
    I just got the DVD from the library, and am looking forward to watching it again this weekend. (If I can find time! I also picked up season 1 of The Vikings, and of course there's Downton Abbey on Sunday ...)

I was pleased to see that the mini-episodes, and the making of featurette, were both on the disc. What I can't tell is whether or not the pre-show thingie (with Strax) is on the disc too. Maybe not, it really only makes sense in a movie theatre, but it was so much fun I was hoping to see it again.

vCash
    There was another mini episode, called The Last Day, that didn't get as much attention as The Night of the Doctor, even though it's quite scary. I haven't seen any info about it being on the anniversary dvd, but it should be, no? Perhaps it's an easter egg...

vCash
    ^ Both mini-episodes are on the DVD.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234