Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    I'm ... in awe of what Moffat just did.
    AMAZING birthday.
    Ten and Eleven together ? Epic !
    And gotta looooove Hurt !
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I loved the special..Dr. Who day of the doctor especially the ending ten minutes.. nice how they have set out now what the new series will be focused on.. very clever filming.. and nice little twists..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    I'm ... in awe of what Moffat just did.
    AMAZING birthday.
    Ten and Eleven together ? Epic !
    And gotta looooove Hurt !
    was awesome.. David Tennant is so witty! But all of the Dr's.. great acting and great little one liners.. so nice at the end my childhood Dr too Funny it brings generations together.. my Dr. with my daughters Dr
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I must now leave this thread until Monday night. I got my mother to PVR DotD and I'll be at her house tomorrow, but I still want to go into the big-screen experience on Monday completely fresh and unspoiled. Delayed gratification, baby!

vCash
    So, is it completely ridiculous that when my old favourite Doctor Tom Baker appeared I was

I LOVED the end scenes
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    So, is it completely ridiculous that when my old favourite Doctor Tom Baker appeared I was
    Oh good, so it wasn't just me who got all weepy when he showed up. Can't help it; he was my first Doctor and it just seemed wrong to not have one of the classic Doctors turn up. Very fitting that it was him.

And I squeed at the brief shot of Capaldi's eyes.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I was out all day with family stuff, but I've recorded both the Adventures in Time and Space and the special for viewing tonight and tomorrow. It just started hailing here, so I'm happy to curl up with some hot tea and the Dr.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I thought it was fabulous. Son wanted to watch in real time, but we'd missed 3 episodes from last year. Watched "The Name of the Doctor" first to get the backstory.

I've got a soft spot for Rose, so it was good to see her. John Hurt was just awesome, and Doctor #4 showing up as the curator brought cheers. They even got in a Captain Jack mention. Tennent's last line "I don't want to go" - classic.

This sort of reset the franchise, though. The Doctor has always been dealing with guilt about his homeland and being the last Time Lord. Will the next one go searching for Gallifrey?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I only started watching during with Tennant, so I don't have as much of the background, but I still enjoyed it (even if I did have to look up some of the old references). A number of nice nods to the past including the scarf. And it was fun to hear "13" with such determination. Got me excited for the next series.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I've been watching since the 70's and seeing Tom Baker was incredible. and yes, it absolutely made me but made me feel young and old at the same time. For those of you "youngsters" that haven't seen the Baker episodes....yes they were cheesier, but he really, to me, more than any of his predecessors, set the tone and quirky attitude for Doctors to come. I watched all the older Doctors, Hartnell,Troughten, Pertwee, but Baker brought his inner Doctor to the audience...couldn't get enough, it's still the first iconic image most people think of.. the hat, coat, curly mop of hair and incredibly long scarf. Heck I learned to knit just so I could make one!
    Baker, Davidson and Tennant are by far my favorite Doctors. I quite enjoy Matt Smith as well. It's amusing to see Peter Davidson on Law and Order UK. ( But then I get a kick out of my other teen crush, David McCallum from Man from UNCLE as Ducky on NCIS. ok I admit it..I'm old.

vCash
    I am so confused. Why does Moffatt constantly just ret-con everything according to his own desires? Hey, the destruction never happens--but what about Ten's last episodes?

I enjoyed it (sans giggly annoying Elizabeth I and Ten). I really like Clara. ETA to say I MISS NINE. I wish Eccleston wasn't all "No I want nothing to do with Who now!" Boo.

I'm really looking forward to Capaldi.
    Last edited by Lanie; 11-24-2013 at 06:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I am so confused. Why does Moffatt constantly just ret-con everything according to his own desires? Hey, the destruction never happens--but what about Ten's last episodes?

I enjoyed it (sans giggly annoying Elizabeth I and Ten). I really like Clara. ETA to say I MISS NINE. I wish Eccleston wasn't all "No I want nothing to do with Who now!" Boo.

I'm really looking forward to Capaldi.
    I thought the retcon was brilliant. It allows for the Doctor to have a new mission and they can cite to the new continuity as a way of giving the Doctor additional lives. In a way, I think it was more than Moffatt writing for his own desires; he was writing for the future showrunners by giving them a much more expansive sandbox to play in.

vCash
    Moff is a genius.
    Not only did he bring back the doctor's innocence, but he did give opportunities to go on with that show like ... forever ! Brilliant!
    And 13 doctor made me WHAAAAAAAT the HELL ? LOL LOL
    Now I get all he said prior to this episode.
    I am DYING for the Xmas special now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Actually there is room for both. Note in the show that the "war room" folks said something like the High Council tried something that didn't work - that's Ten's last episodes. Also, loved the fact that 8.5, 9, and 10 won't remember that they didn't blow it all up. So, that doesn't change that part. Also, the fact remains that the Daleks were destroyed (about as much as they were before ), and that Gallifrey is again kind of timelocked..

I have to say that the second time through, I kept thinking about how this story might have been constructed had Eccleston said yes. Would he have been the "War Doctor"? You could see hints I think. Did you notice that 8.5 was wearing a leather jacket very similar to 9?

I loved all of the fan service bits, most especially when the Doctors are around the button “Never cowardly or cruel. Never give up, never give in.” A reference to the character bible from the early years of the show.

So excited to see Peter Capaldi's Doctor 12/13. "Going home the long way round".
    Last edited by znachki; 11-24-2013 at 08:28 PM.

vCash
    Things I didn't like about The Day of the Doctor:

Spoiler

Things I did like about The Day of the Doctor:

Spoiler

Questions it raised:

Spoiler

Subsequent viewings will probably reveal more things that I find annoying, amazing, and confusing, but last night they were all overshadowed by awesome.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    An adventure in space and time.. i LOVED this movie about how Dr. Who originated.. anybody else watching live today? I'm on chat with my family and friends in England who are watching it along with us in Canada..
    I thought it was awesome- a really interesting look at the early series and how the BBC worked in the early days. I didn't know that the first producer was a woman (highly unusual in the early 1960's). Cool.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Okay, this is one of the funniest thing to come out in a long time. Watch until the end.

Hope the link works.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Okay, this is one of the funniest thing to come out in a long time. Watch until the end.

Hope the link works.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy
    This was great! Thanks.

vCash
    I watched that episode 5 times already. Am I mad?

vCash
    No, I've watched it four times, so you're only slightly crazy because I'm not mad yet!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast