Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary -- on the big screen!

Pretty excited about this! I dumped Space from my cable package so was going to have to find some other route to watch -- so the chance to see it on the big screen with other Who fans is pretty cool.

Simulcast on Nov 25 in some venues, Nov 27 and later broadcasts of varying dates in other locations.

Doctor Who at Cineplex (Canada) (sorry I don't have the links for other countries)

vCash
    Thanks for the tip. I looked, and it will be shown in theaters in the US:
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/24/do...h-anniversary/

Tix go on sale tomorrow: http://www.fathomevents.com/?utm_sou...-of-the-doctor

A list of the US theaters showing it is here:
    http://www.fathomevents.com/?utm_sou...ater-locations

Unbelievably because this stuff never happens up by me, there actually is a theater nearish to me showing it. Remarkable.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I think I'll watch at home just because I want to be able to talk without bugging anyone other than Mr. Elle, but it's really cool that they're doing that. Doctor Who fandom in the US these days is very, very different (read "Much, much bigger") from how it was when I was a lonely Who fan in the 80s.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    I think it'll be cool to see if there are any other sci fi fans (never mind Dr. Who fans) in my neck o' the woods. I often feel that it's me and my husband... and that's about it.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Already wracking my brains about what sort of costume I might be able to rig up ...

vCash
    Wow, glad I bought when I did -- my preferred location is already sold out. Which is a bit of a bummer as I've now found someone to go with (most of my Whovian friends aren't local), and now we can't go together.

But with 4 sold out screenings so far just in the Vancouver area, I'm pretty thrilled there's that much Who-love in town!

vCash
    On a Monday night? Why??
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    My son and his friend are Whovians, so I'm totally getting tickets for this (and going with them). The theater is about a half mile from the house - too convenient to not go.

vCash
    Guys. Guys, you need to see this. Now.

Also, tomorrow I'm going into town to get tickets to the one (and so far only) screening of The Day of the Doctor. I'm going with a friend who hasn't seen any DW, so we'll spend a few hours before the screening watching a choice selection of episodes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    Also, tomorrow I'm going into town to get tickets to the one (and so far only) screening of The Day of the Doctor. I'm going with a friend who hasn't seen any DW, so we'll spend a few hours before the screening watching a choice selection of episodes.
    That sounds like a day very well spent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia Alexandra View Post
    I was just coming over to post this. Haven't stopped squeeing. It's the one thing I really wanted from this whole 50th Anniverasry.

Got to go back and watch it again, and again and...

btw - nice bit of "movie magic" at the end there.

vCash
    ^ Is it something from the Episode itself? If so, I don't want to see it yet. I want to remain as unspoiled as humanly possible (without turning off the internet for the next 2 weeks).

vCash
    No, it's caled "The Night of the Doctor", and it's a prequel for the special. Watch it.

vCash
    I saw it a little while ago. It's super!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    No, it's caled "The Night of the Doctor", and it's a prequel for the special. Watch it.
    Okeydoke, thanks!

vCash
    Znachki patiently waits for Artemis@BC to come back....

vCash
    Completely awesome!! Even more excited now for Nov 25!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Completely awesome!! Even more excited now for Nov 25!
    I know. I haven't stopped squeeing on the inside since I saw it.

vCash
    I got me ticketses!

Any suggestions for which episodes to show my non-Whovian friend? I'm thinking Rose and Dalek from s1, introducing the Doctor, Rose, and a Dalek, plus a few hints about the Time War; The Eleventh Hour and The Snowmen from s5 and s7 (provided that the s7 box set I've ordered arrives on time), introducing Eleven and Clara, as well as The Name of The Doctor (and The Night of the Doctor, of course), since it's the setup for The Day of the Doctor.

I'm a bit stumped when it comes to which of Ten's episodes to show, though. Nothing that spoils any major story arcs, in case my friend wants to catch up on her own afterwards, so no series finales, but what, then? Blink, perhaps? Or Midnight? The Shakespeare Code? Someone on LJ suggested The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit, which could work, I guess.

Any suggestions?

vCash
    As awesome as "Blink" is (still my favourite episode ever), it doesn't actually focus that much on the Doctor, so maybe give that one a pass. Otherwise pretty good list. Maybe add "The Doctor's Wife"? Or perhaps that one requires too much Whovian knowledge to really appreciate.

I appreciate your no-season-ender rule, but you might want to reconsider and include "The End of Time." It's not really a spoiler since of course your friend will know that certain Doctors end, and it's the episode that best sets up the Time War. Plus it's a who's who (so to speak) of characters from New-Who that far.

For a completely stand-alone and unspoilery Ten episode, how about "The Girl in the Fireplace"? That's got all the classic elements, and is vintage Ten.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast