Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash

New Book Thread because somebody' has got to do it

Were you people just going to go on and on and on and on? Sort of like serials that should have ended 6 books back?
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Twitter:

Mental Floss ‏@mental_floss 43m
    Try, Try Again: Rejection Letters Received by Bestselling Authors — http://bit.ly/13w2wjJ
    EDIT:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

From Project Gutenberg, the first producer of free ebooks.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/...edium=buzzfeed

36 Reasons Why We Will Miss Bookstores

EDIT2: via Twitter...

pourmecoffee ‏@pourmecoffee 15m
    Handwritten author outlines at @flavorwire. J.K. Rowling's Order of the Phoenix spreadsheet http://goo.gl/xVLoZ
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKRSmJVCUAAzbqH.jpg
    Last edited by dardar1126; 05-15-2013 at 07:04 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the new thread, rfisher. It's a dirty job...... I just assumed it would be Prancer who did it.

I now have the audio of Elizabeth Peters' "Borrower of the Night" going in my car. Even though it was written in 1973 - and somewhat reflects the "Battle of the Sexes" attitudes of the times, I still find it hilarious. Vicky Bliss is probably my favorite character in popular literature. I've read the entire series several times and enjoy it every time.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I don't usually recommend political memoirs but this one sounds like a must read. "This Boy: A Memoir of a Childhood" by Alan Johnson. Johnson is a former British Home Secretary one of the few politicians who never completed high school. He was orphaned at 13 (or 12) and raised by his older sister.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013...johnson-review

vCash
    Just finishing up Vanity Fair on Kindle for Android (so I'm reading it on my phone!). Loved the movie version (w/Reese Witherspoon as Becky) so decided to read the book. Found the free version on Amazon, which is how I wound up with the Kindle app to begin with, plus about a dozen of so other free books downloaded onto my phone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I don't usually recommend political memoirs but this one sounds like a must read. "This Boy: A Memoir of a Childhood" by Alan Johnson. Johnson is a former British Home Secretary one of the few politicians who never completed high school. He was orphaned at 13 (or 12) and raised by his older sister.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013...johnson-review
    Kind of OT, but our current finance minister never finished high school, either, and I'm not sure he know what he's doing.

My most recent read was Diana Gabaldon's The Scottish Prisoner, one of the few Outlander books/stories I had not yet read. It's not truly a standalone novel, IMO, but it's a nice addition to the series.

vCash
    I really like the Outlander series,I am anxiously awaiting the next book due out this Fall.

vCash
    So glad we have a new thread, but yep, I was waiting on one of those all powerful admins to close the old one.

Still have "Ordinary Grace" to read. Have downloaded a bunch of books, another 10 on the wait list at the library, but I'm sort of in a reading rut at the moment. Must get back to reading again this weekend...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am going to start the new Kate Atkinson Life After Life but reading about Lyme Regis and the Cobb in Persuasion got me hankering to re-read The French Lieutenant's Woman. With all due respect to Meryl Streep, she was horribly miscast in that movie, btw.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Thanks for the new thread, rfisher. It's a dirty job...... I just assumed it would be Prancer who did it.
    I've been busy! Everything always happens all at once.

I now have the audio of Elizabeth Peters' "Borrower of the Night" going in my car. Even though it was written in 1973 - and somewhat reflects the "Battle of the Sexes" attitudes of the times, I still find it hilarious. Vicky Bliss is probably my favorite character in popular literature. I've read the entire series several times and enjoy it every time.
    My all-time favorite Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters book is Be Buried in the Rain, but I really enjoy Vicky Bliss, too, even more than the Amelia Peabody series. I loved Crocodile on the Sandbank, but gradually lost interest after that.

I'm re-organizing all my books and have been thinking about getting rid of a lot of them. I have an awful lot of Michaels/Peters books. I can't quite bring myself to put them in the Goodwill box.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    So glad we have a new thread, but yep, I was waiting on one of those all powerful admins to close the old one.

Still have "Ordinary Grace" to read. Have downloaded a bunch of books, another 10 on the wait list at the library, but I'm sort of in a reading rut at the moment. Must get back to reading again this weekend...
    I finished Ordinary Grace a couple of weeks ago. I liked it a lot, although parts of it were heartbreaking. I tend to favor novels with an adolescent narrator or an adolescent's point of view because I find the language much more honest and believable. I also like books set in this time period, early 60's.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Just starting a new book by an author who is new to me- recommended to me by a Finnish cousin who was visiting me last month. "Purge" by Sofia Oksanen. It's set in 1990's Estonia, and so far it's really drawing me in. Finding a new author is always a good thing.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I've been busy! Everything always happens all at once.

My all-time favorite Barbara Michaels/Elizabeth Peters book is Be Buried in the Rain, but I really enjoy Vicky Bliss, too, even more than the Amelia Peabody series. I loved Crocodile on the Sandbank, but gradually lost interest after that.

I'm re-organizing all my books and have been thinking about getting rid of a lot of them. I have an awful lot of Michaels/Peters books. I can't quite bring myself to put them in the Goodwill box.
    I have a wall of Can't Part With Books. MPM takes up a couple shelves. I think that when I die, I will have someone put a copy of "Street of the Five Moons" in the casket with me so I'll have something to read. I loved the first doesn or so of the Amelia book but once Ramses grew up and took over, I thought they went downhill. It's the archaeology I like not the spy stuff and WWI

Anybody want a copy of Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy"? I've given up on it. Life is too short to read depressing books.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I am in the worse reading rut. I have one book that I am currently slugging through called The First Muslims. It's interesting. Definitely an academic book but it doesn't feel too dense. When I started, I was completely into it but it's been three weeks and I still have about 50 pages to go. I have books from the library sitting on my coffee table waiting to be read as well. They include Ghana Must Go, Wedding Night and The Golem and Jinni. All fiction and I assume lighter than what I have been reading.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Twitter:

Slate ‏@Slate 31m
    80 years ago, Hellen Keller wrote this blistering letter to German students denouncing book-burnings--PHOTO: http://slate.me/18NFneQ #heroes

vCash
    Just checked my library wait list. I'm first in queue for 6 books and 2nd for 3 others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Just starting a new book by an author who is new to me- recommended to me by a Finnish cousin who was visiting me last month. "Purge" by Sofia Oksanen. It's set in 1990's Estonia, and so far it's really drawing me in. Finding a new author is always a good thing.
    I read that a couple of years ago. It was intense. I'll be interested to know what you think of the ending.

ETA I'll be going from Gothic into noir - this afternoon I bought The Big Sleep and Jim Thompson's A Hell of a Woman and A Swell-Looking Babe. I turned Roommate onto Thompson with The Grifters, so we'll both enjoy them.
    Last edited by Nomad; 05-17-2013 at 04:15 AM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Anybody want a copy of Rowling's "The Casual Vacancy"? I've given up on it. Life is too short to read depressing books.
    The Casual Vacancy is a book of Dursleys. I eye-rolled at all the negative reviews it received at first, especially since most of them were comparing an adult contemporary fiction to YA fantasy, and said it's only because they're mad because it's not Harry Potter! And I maintain it's not fair to compare it to Harry Potter, because Harry Potter is good. This was bad on all levels--hackneyed plot, cliched, cynicism without wisdom, black without the humor. I'm sometimes in the mood for a depressing book. I'm never in the mood for a bad book. If she had written this first, it would never have been published.

I'm reading Where'd You Go Bernadette. It's very clever and snarky and bitchy. I feel like I'm in a Bravo show. So far, it's borderline fabulous, but I don't know if I'll like a whole book of it.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

INTJ
    vCash
    I bought Jim Gaffigan's book Dad is Fat for my brother and it came in the mail today. He's out of town so I'm going to read it first
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    I found an article on the BBC website that reads like a cheap supermarket detective novel but unfortunately it is all true. A young girl is horribly murdered and the local PD is either too incompetent or corrupt to solve the case. But a middle aged local woman, unemployed, unskilled and newly devorced decided to solve the case herself. To do so she seeks help and advice from a veteran BBC journalist. Together they do what the police could not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19558804

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast