Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Johnny Wei'r Retirement Statement

Read it, it is heartbreaking and uplifting. http://fcnp.com/2013/10/23/johnnys-world-the-ice/

vCash
    Classy stuff! Best of luck to Johnny Weir in his new endeavors.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lnWNgXkKgw

Johnny is the Swan ... he accomphished so much by just getting a moment to be exactly what he wanted to be ...

vCash
    Hands down the best retirement I have read....and thank you Johnny for the great memories too!!!

vCash
    Wow, very sentimental! Not a surprising announcement though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    Read it, it is heartbreaking and uplifting. http://fcnp.com/2013/10/23/johnnys-world-the-ice/
    I had tears in my eyes reading this. It's so eloquently stated, humble, and uplifting at the same time. Johnny really is a fitting replacement for Mr. Button. I can't wait to see him start his journey on
    American television, the next chapter in his life.

And I love that Johnny is also a believer in magic, special moments, dreams, et al. It reminds me of a favorite quote ~ "Only as high as I reach can I grow, Only as far as I seek can I go, Only as deep as I look can I see, Only as much as I dream can I be."

Also kudos to Johnny for taking his mother along on their journey across the world, what a wonderful wonderful son he must be. This brought to mind actress Kim Basinger, whom always said her mom missed out on so much; she would've loved to have taken her mother with her on her journey, but her mom was too jealous and bitter of her own daughter. Whereas the opposite is true of Johnny & his mother.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    That was beautifully written!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Great from Johnny. Have missed his skating and will continue to miss it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Every so often I get reminded why I hate ESPN so much. Was eating dinner last night in a local restaurant and saw the "ticker" at the bottom of the screen note that Johnny had retired.

Followed by: "Failed to win a medal in 2 Olympics."

I presume the neanderthals there were too stupid to spell "3 time National Champion, World Bronze Medalist."

Have I mentioned I really hate ESPN?????
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    That is so ridiculous. 5th and 6th are pretty darn good. GETTING to 2 Olympics is pretty darn good.

Does this attitude exist in other countries? Who cares what kind of career he had, no Olympic medal, no good. If he got one, they'd be on him for it not being Gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    That is so ridiculous. 5th and 6th are pretty darn good. GETTING to 2 Olympics is pretty darn good.

Does this attitude exist in other countries? Who cares what kind of career he had, no Olympic medal, no good. If he got one, they'd be on him for it not being Gold.

Agree...
    To be on two Olympic teams and be a contender for a medal from a country as deep as the United States..... better than darn good...more like better than most. Bravo Johnny....fly free and soar!

vCash
    Couldn't read it. 'Stack overflow' kept popping up. My work computer is in top shape. This should not have happened (not on my home computer either, but I will try there tonight).

I am a big Johnny Weir fan. I loved his skating- saw it live multiple times.

vCash
    What a beautiful & loving tribute to his family, his coaches, his friends & his fans. Thank you Johnny for the many years of pleasure & beauty you have given to me throughout your career. Best of luck in all your future endeavors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Couldn't read it. 'Stack overflow' kept popping up. My work computer is in top shape. This should not have happened (not on my home computer either, but I will try there tonight).

I am a big Johnny Weir fan. I loved his skating- saw it live multiple times.
    I got "stack overflow" too. I just clicked ok. Then I could read it after clicking on the X when the ad came up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Every so often I get reminded why I hate ESPN so much. Was eating dinner last night in a local restaurant and saw the "ticker" at the bottom of the screen note that Johnny had retired.

Absolutely ridiculous. Should Kurt Browning's career be summed up in the same way?

On another note, a couple of months ago Johnny said he was skating in a show in St. Petersburg this month. Did he? I only ask because I haven't heard anything about it lately.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Sentimental soppy self-indulgence IMO but I've never been a fan. I hope he finds peace and happiness and continues to skate for his fans.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post

Yes, it does exist. Actually in some countries it's even worse, you won't be allowed to GO unless you have a good shot at that medal.

(And Kurt's career was summed up like this by media here's an example. http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categorie...ry-canada.html I actually think it was worse for Kurt since he had those World Championships leading up to that)
    Last edited by Carolla5501; 10-24-2013 at 11:45 PM.

vCash

Johnny Wei'r Retirement Statement

Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous. Should Kurt Browning's career be summed up in the same way?

On another note, a couple of months ago Johnny said he was skating in a show in St. Petersburg this month. Did he? I only ask because I haven't heard anything about it lately.
    In the comments section of a New York Times online article about Johnny, someone wrote he was denied a visa but who knows if that's true? The article says Johnny plans to tour Russia after the Olympics with Plushenko.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/24/sp...-law.html?_r=0
    Last edited by judiz; 10-25-2013 at 02:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    In the comments section of a New York Times online article about Johnny, someone wrote he was denied a visa but who knows if that's true? The article says Johnny plans to tour Russia after the Olympics with Plushenko.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/24/sp...-law.html?_r=0
    Yes. Plushy invited Johnny in spring of 2013 too, but Plush got injured in ECH, and the whole tour was canceled. Plushy said in a recently interview in Eurosport, in spring of 2014 he plans 40 shows in whole Russia. Probably he invited Johnny again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EOjxYaW8cw

vCash
    Beautiful writing. I look forward to seeing where he goes from here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast