In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash

What is this movie/musical from the 1970's?

I was flipping channels and saw this very strange movie that, from the style, had to be 1970's. It had a bunch of very stero-typed, over-the-top hippie-type people following this very strange man, who was preaching to them about their experiences. I think it was supposed to be a take on the story of Jesus, told as if taking place in the 1970's, and I thought maybe it was Jesus Christ Superstar since I had never seen that movie before. After doing some You Tubing, clearly .... it was not.

The on-screen guide simply listed "Movie", so I don't know the title. It was clearly a musical, as they broke out in song every 10 minutes, and even sang some of the speaking parts. From the visuals, it had to be made in the 1970's (or maybe late 1960's). They were dressed in very hippie/flower child type clothes. The man they were following (who I think was supposed to imply Jesus) was almost child like in his wonderment and preaching about love and understanding, blah blah blah.

Does anyone have any clue what movie I could be talking about? It was very, uhm ..... strange. And kinda driving me crazy what this movie was. Especially since I now know it was clearly not Jesus Christ Superstar.

vCash
    It's "Godspell". The most famous song from it is "Day by Day" but I always think of "Prepare Ye The Way" first.

http://www.godspell.com/cast-album.html

I like it better than "Jesus Crist Superstar" but probably because I've performed in it a couple times and know it better. It's very popular among church theatre groups mainly because it's cheap to stage.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Oh yeah, that be it. I came in at the middle and fell asleep so didn't see the end. Perhaps it shall make more sense to me if I watch the entire thing. Just from the parts that I saw, it was very .... strange.

And after watching a few quick You Tubes ... holy freaking crap .... THAT was Victor Garber?!! Like Victor Garber Victor Garber??!!!!!

vCash
    I haven't seen the movie, but the stage show is fun. Some good songs. In college, I choreographed a tap routine to "All for the Best" for my dance group.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    There are umpty-nine versions of the stage show. Thanks to a lack of specific direction in the original screenplay, sets, costumes, dialog and song orders got changed and swapped around and fiddled with so that each production is almost a totally new show. The movie version is far from the best, IMO but at least a form got preserved.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Beach Bum
    vCash
    A couple of friends of mine were in the band in the first Broadway production (1976) -- Paul Shaffer (of David Letterman fame) was the band leader.

Wasn't David Haskell in the film too? I loved him in the 70s sitcom All That Glitters.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I haven't seen the movie, but the stage show is fun. Some good songs. In college, I choreographed a tap routine to "All for the Best" for my dance group.
    The movie is somewhat disappointing -- and extremely dated looking (unlike Superstar, which I think still looks fresh) ... but as zaphyre said at least it is a record of the show.

We did a production when I was in grade 11 and it was one of the best experiences of my life. 30 years later and I can still sing every single word. (The dance steps ... not so much.)

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Oh yeah, that be it. I came in at the middle and fell asleep so didn't see the end. Perhaps it shall make more sense to me if I watch the entire thing. Just from the parts that I saw, it was very .... strange.

And after watching a few quick You Tubes ... holy freaking crap .... THAT was Victor Garber?!! Like Victor Garber Victor Garber??!!!!!
    Yes, that Victor Garber. He was in a lot of musicals on stage. There was also a semi-legendary stage production of Godspell in Toronto in the early 1970s - I think it might have been the first Canadian production of the show - that had Garber and Andrea Martin, Eugene Levy, Martin Short, Gilda Radner, and Dave Thomas. Paul Shaffer was the musical director there too. Them working together was sort of the start of SCTV, and some of them eventually going on to be on Saturday Night Live. Here's a story about that show:
    http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...and_gilda.html
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I've know about Victor Garber onstage, ever since that production of "Godspell"; even though I'm from the US.
    He and Gilda Radner did something else together which was shown on public television here - in the early 1970's.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I've know about Victor Garber onstage, ever since that production of "Godspell"; even though I'm from the US.
    He and Gilda Radner did something else together which was shown on public television here - in the early 1970's.
    Was it this?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0278516/
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Oh, yes!
    I've been trying to find that/info about it.

As I remember, it was adorable!
    No one had video equipment then; and there are many great specials, skating, etc., which only "live in my head"!
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 10-23-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ I remember that one too! And it had local theatre darling Jeff Hyslop in it too -- who's done about a gazillion stage productions locally (Vancouver), in Toronto, and on Broadway. (His Molina in Kiss of the Spider Woman still gives me chills thinking about it.)

ETA: in 1974, CBC was the only channel we had, so I saw and still remember vividly almost everything CBC.
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 10-23-2013 at 10:04 PM.

vCash
    In the early 1970's we got WEDU-TV, Tampa, on cable,
    Much of their programming came from Canada.
    What a great resource it was.

It was because of them that I saw John Curry, Toller Cranston, etc., for the first time.