Title-less
    vCash

UT regent, Hall, faces possible impeachment

UT Regent Wallace Hall faces impeachment
    http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austi...-investigation

Today was the second day House Select Committee on Transparency in State Agency Operations called witnesses to testify in the effort to figure out whether Univ of Texas regent, Wallace Hall, should be impeached. (House actually created a committee just for the subject of university regents and decided to get the ball rolling re: Regent Hall back when they were having a string of special sessions in the summer)

Texas has never tried to impeach an unelected official. The last time the state tried to impeach somebody was back in 1975. Apparently, as House Appropriations Chair, Jim Pitts, pointed out, Hall didn't have to violate any laws for him to be impeached. Malfeasance was enough.

I didn't follow the whole two-day hearings (Yesterday it went from 10 to 6 and today from 10-4). So far, the charges seem to be: Hall didn't disclose all his litigations in his applications, filed too many burdensome open records requests and that also might have resulted in him having access to private student data. But the gist was that Hall was in a witch hunt after UT-Austin president Bill Powers, who, btw, was elected chair of the Association of American Universities the same day the hearing commenced.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Is this actually national or international news?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Title-less
    vCash
    Not everything here is international news?
    I think of interest here is the unprecented nature of the impeachment attempt -- the Texas legislature trying to impeach an unelected university regent when he probably isn't breaking the law. I think people in the academia may find this interesting