Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    This is what I'm thinking too. It's like they are urging him to use his personality to sell the broadcast rather than allowing the skating to sell the broadcast. Terry talks way more than Johnny does and if anyone needs to be encouraged to be quieter, it is Gannon, even though I do like them both. The old adage "less is more" holds true in this scenario though.
    NBC broadcast isn't for hardcore fans of figure skating. It's for everyone else. Network sports broadcast just don't work like that, have anyone tried to watch tennis on TV? Tell me when do they shut up?

Figure Skating on NBC, and before that on ABC, has always have commentary like that. They speak over the music, because when the music ends, they go to ASPCA ads!

It's not even because they're network TV, really, tried to watch the Russian EuroSport stream? OMG!

I noticed that Weir actually stays quiet for prolonged periods on a program, which no one else on network TV sports broadcast ever does, and surely NBC doesn't pay him to stay quiet.

Tara talks a lot more, Sandra babbles a lot more, and Scott screams and grunts much more than Johnny talks.

I enjoy team Terry Gannon and Johnny Weir, pity they won't be in the main broadcast for the big competitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyintheAM View Post
    NBC broadcast isn't for hardcore fans of figure skating. It's for everyone else.
    This is very true. The competition is over, it is not live. Anyone who is a really big fan of figure skating has already watched the programs: on icenetwork, through a live-stream, or on youtube. (I didn't stay up to watch icenetwork this time, but had already watched on youtube.) The results are already known to the fans.

NBC is recapping for people who are occasional viewers of the sport and surfed through and stopped on figure skating. And likely trying to get some attention to carry through for the Olympics.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I noticed a big shift in his commentary at NHK. The last few weeks he was talking about stroking technique and training methods. At NHK it was all about silly stuff like costumes, music preference, and the emotion showing on a skater's face. I wondered if he'd had a "talking to" about not getting too technical for the audience. It was disappointing to me. Still, he is of course much better than Scott, Sandra, Dick, and Peggy.

vCash
    Johnny's just gotten the job; and has to "take direction" before he can "make it his own".

vCash
    Once again, Johnny was fantastic - perfect - as analyst for the NHK 2013 trophy. Just the right blend of seriousness and sass. Due to Tara's commitment to Miss Universe in Moscow, Johnny had to do double duty, for both Mens and Ladies. He was GREAT in both events. If I were NBC, I'd immediately elevate Johnny's role in Sochi to being the on-screen expert for both Mens and Ladies. Terry Gannon should be the on-screen NBC non-expert (although by now he, too, is an expert). That's it - Johnny and Terry. Scott & Sandra could do pre- and post-event analysis....but commentating during the show should be reserved for Johnny, with Terry as the sidekick.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    My husband cannot tell the difference between a 2A and a 3L so having Johnny identify the jumps is really helpful to him and others like him. I think given time, Johnny will come up with the perfect blend of talking vs non talking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I noticed a big shift in his commentary at NHK. The last few weeks he was talking about stroking technique and training methods. At NHK it was all about silly stuff like costumes, music preference, and the emotion showing on a skater's face. I wondered if he'd had a "talking to" about not getting too technical for the audience. It was disappointing to me. Still, he is of course much better than Scott, Sandra, Dick, and Peggy.
    Yeah and I did not like his "direction" this week
    who cares if he's thankful Oda got a new costume???? LOL!
    (And really Johnny your "thankful' hmm.. was it a personal insult with the old one?)

I like him but I am not sure he's going to turn out any better then the current team. But of course we will know a lot more about the skating fashion of today

vCash
    I feel as if NBC is PURPOSEFULLY telling its skating commentators to "dumb it down" and I don't think that is the right thing to do, especially not in this new age of the IJS. I thought the whole purpose of recruiting new talent was to bring in folks who actually SKATED under this new system and therefore can explain everything to viewers. Instead, I find that Lipinski (and now Weir), who used to be quite good and informative, are getting more and more like younger versions of Hamilton/Bezic or Button/Fleming (unfortunately, that's not a compliment).

I don't even think it's the network because the commentators in some other sports do strike that balance...I think it's whoever is producing the skating coverage. Probably need a changing of the guard there as well. JMO

vCash
    If 'dumbing down' means a more entertaining Johnny Weir - then bring it on! Frankly, I feel that Johnny was a perfect blend of seriousness (75% of the time) with sass (25%). Just right. And he did not yak on and on, as other commentators tend to do. AND he did not have other interests - such as an upcoming Stars on Ice tour & other self-serving ventures - to promote. No wonder he's a breath of fresh air in TV commentating.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Weir tweeted overnight:
    Night shift with @tara_lipinski. Céline Bags akimbo for GP France on NBC, Sunday at 4:30 EST. @ NBC… http://instagram.com/p/gzaY_HBhSn/
    NBC's broadcast of TEB Men/Ladies is 4:30-6 pm Eastern today.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Banned Member
    vCash
    I think the team of Bezic&Hamilton has run its course. But of course NBC wants everything to be safe (i.e., stale) and doesn't care about furthering the sport, so Bezic&Hamilton is not going anywhere.

vCash
    Well for me I found this week with Tara in the booth to jointly cover the men that Johnny seemed to be giving Tara space with the end result that overall there were too many generic superficial comments about the men, even from Johnny. I was particularly disappointed with their commentary during Jason's skate.

Wonderful that Patrick seems to have accessed some inner peace and calm with Kathy Johnson's help. Patrick is skating clean, confident programs! Hosanna! First time in a long time that I've truly enjoyed watching him skate. But the sport's attempt to make breaking 100 exciting, is to me laughable. Now a string of 6.0s, that's what would have been exciting and more engaging for viewers and arena audience. There's no substitute for that ... Just youtube figure skating's memory lane a la Kwanita and other very memorable skaters' rare 6.0 performances. Patrick would have been caught up in the joy of the perfect scores rather than having to point out: "That's a world record." Another thing about breaking 100 or 300 is that Pat is the only one who's got the superhuman SS and quads to do it. With 6.0 it was possible for lesser god-like skaters to at least strive to see one or two when they got their magic on.

Johnny and team did a slightly better job with the ladies, particularly with Cesario and Gao. I also agree with the assessments that Pogo's fp music is too heavy and unrelentingly serious. For me Pogo's skating is laborious although she has an intense competitive mindset and is talented technically. Nice of NBC in not showing the worst of Pogo's pouting in the k/c. Another of the good insights from Johnny during the ladies was his discussion of what he finds missing in Ash's fp this season. But I was disappointed in the men's coverage. The three in the booth seemed comfortable together, but overall the commentary wasn't that great, which with Johnny I guess I've been spoiled by previously.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-18-2013 at 12:41 AM.

vCash
    I was vnot impressed with the men's coverage today. I haven't watched the women's coverage but I think in the long run this is not going to be a dramatic improvement over the current team (Of course if the current team had Terry they would be much better )

vCash
    I think the coverage is superior because no one is grunting in the booth. Overall it's still NBC, my expectations are low.

vCash
    I still find it completely ridiculous that NBC ignores pairs and especially dance. This kind of selective broadcasting IS having an impact on the perception of non singles disciplines in the US, and it is a negative one.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Unlike before, I thought Tara's criticisms were very valid, especially of the ladies, of the American girls in particular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ComplimentsFrom View Post
    Unlike before, I thought Tara's criticisms were very valid, especially of the ladies, of the American girls in particular.
    I did not think Tara was accurate today. For example, of Cesario, Tara said that she often makes mistakes then falls apart. I Johnny rightly contradicted her saying that Cesario is consistent. My own impressions of Cesario are that she does not fall apart and has great attack, but is frequently charged with underrotations.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by just tuned in View Post
    I did not think Tara was accurate today. For example, of Cesario, Tara said that she often makes mistakes then falls apart. I Johnny rightly contradicted her saying that Cesario is consistent. My own impressions of Cesario are that she does not fall apart and has great attack, but is frequently charged with underrotations.
    Okay, you're correct about that. But her criticisms of Wagner's program, about how Wagner is not utilizing the music, and about the music and how it doesn't complement Wagner's skating, was valid. Also, both Johnny and Tara's criticism of Gao and how it's been a couple of years now and Gao hasn't shown any marked improvement-- I'm paraphrasing them of how Gao just doesn't have it all there (I believe Johnny said this, and Tara concurred immediately after he said it).

Obviously Johnny is the better color commentator/ analyst, no question, but it seems that Tara is not afraid to voice her criticisms more, not afraid to be more blunt-- when on-air at least-- and I appreciate this in her. Cause I sure as hell don't want her to be like Bezic and hold all her criticisms inside, and only voice them months and years later.
    Last edited by ComplimentsFrom; 11-18-2013 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    I now have ice network, so I can watch pairs and ice dance. It has helped with my frustration. I kind of liked Tara and Johnny.

vCash
    Also, I believe it was while watching Gao that Johnny said her weakness was "as a performer," the implication being that the artistic score would be lower. Tara then contradicted him, saying that Gao is very expressive but needs to work on her skating skills. When the scores came up, they agreed with Johnny. The technical score was the higher of the two.

Here's the dream team in the booth:

http://www.iphoneogram.com/p/5909368...6028_21633233/

Deep in concentration:
    http://www.iphoneogram.com/p/5899617...0681_21633233/

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast