Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I especially liked Johnny. He made his commentary about the skaters, not about him (don't think I heard the words, "I" or "my" anywhere in his commentary). I liked his voice. He was calm and insightful, as well as being respectful of the skaters. He provided information for the casual viewer, while refraining from talking down to the skating fan, except when prompted by Terry (not easy, IMO). He was funny, but not OTT. Job well done, Johnny.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I liked him, too, and I didn't miss Scott Hamilton's shrieking every time somebody landed a jump.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    Are there videos? I like Johnny's commentary and I wanted to hear what he said about Josh.

vCash

Johnny Weir joining NBC as skating analyst

on YouTube there are some Skate Canada 2013 NBC videos

vCash
    I'm not a Weir fan at all, but I thought he did a very good job as an analyst. He was very good at keeping things focused on the skater, while providing good insight. I like Tara better, but find her commentary lacking in insight and focus.

vCash
    Just watched Josh's program with the NBC commentary and I love the way Johnny commentates.

I know Terry Gannon is considered something of an institution, but I was honestly shrieking at my computer screen "SHUT UP!". Right in that gorgeous haunting beautiful step sequence is NOT the time to be rabbiting on about Patrick Chan and blah blah blah. SHUT UP and let me enjoy the skating! (Maybe Johnny got that and that was why he was already quiet?)

vCash
    Didn't watch it, but am glad that Johnny has been given this opportunity and that he did good.

clutching a very dry gin martini up with a twist
    vCash
    Johnny is a real treat after Scotty and Sandra.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Didn't watch it, but am glad that Johnny has been given this opportunity and that he did good.
    Hopefully you will get to catch Johnny's commentary this weekend. If possible, you should also check out Johnny's previous commentary for Ice Network at 2012 U.S. Nats. And his first foray in the commentary booth at 2010 Worlds for Universal Sports (where he and Tara first hit it off as a team). Johnny's commentary made 2012 U.S. Nats men's event a lot of fun to watch. Johnny coined some memorable phrases re Keegan Messing: "Fearless like a honey badger...," and re Jason Brown: "There's Jason Brown and his ponytail ... I know I'm excited to see that ponytail do some damage on this ice... Jason Brown and his coach Kori are just cool. They have such a happy energy ..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2H-dV6aww4

Johnny's commentary for IN actually helped make the others in the booth somewhat better. Johnny also that year made me appreciate Max Aaron's cool eyebrows. In addition, I thought Johnny's commentary during Jeremy Abbott's 2012 U.S. Nats fs (as the final skater of the entire event) was particularly special as Johnny gave us a perspective on the entire event in addition to making viewers anticipate and look forward to Worlds that year and to Nationals for the following year. It takes a rare ability to evoke those feelings in viewers. Above all, Johnny's respect for the skaters is palpable, as he has been there, done that. He knows to the bone what its like to be a competitive figure skater. He demonstrates a sensitivity to what that experience is, as well as being able to provide interesting technical insights and analysis that is fairly on the mark without being OTT hype, or biased, or disrespectful.

I thought Johnny was a bit restrained at first but he also seemed comfortable with this wonderful opportunity. Ultimately, he was able to give us some of that Johnny flavor while maintaining a balance for what both the network and the viewers expect. I was particularly appreciative of Johnny's ability to point out in a way that I haven't heard before, what it is that makes Patrick Chan a special skater. Johnny did this without any over-hype, and both Terry and Johnny treated Patrick with respect while still being able to allude without any over-focus to the past controversies over some of Patrick's wins with mistakes. I now appreciate in a new way that it's not just Patrick's ability with the blades, but it's his gentle up-and-down knee action that gives him greater ice coverage and thus better use of his energy in comparison to most skaters who have a side-to-side knee action. And ain't that an interesting insight!

vCash
    I thought Johnny did a great job in today's broadcast. He really knows how to draw on his experience to explain what the skaters are doing and going through in addition to the technical aspects. Everything from the effect of Beijing air pollution on stamina to the difference between American and Russian coaching styles. Please, please, please let Johnny commentate at the Olympics instead of Scott.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Johnny was fantastic! More Johnny please.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Wow! Saw Johnny for the first time today and really enjoyed him! He said things I hadn't heard before and managed to restrain himself from saying bonkers things (Toller went off the edge at times). And he was entertaining (the sweating bit was funny). He'd be much better than Sandra and Scott(who always sounds like he's got hemarroids).

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Johnny is a great commentator. He really infuses his commentary with the love he has for the sport and the respect he has for fellow skaters. Johnny knows these people personally so I am sure he has his own rivalries and favorites, but you would not know it from his commentary, he also tries to say nice things about each skater. He puts a very postive spin on things, and he also is good at explaining for the casual viewer. I predict he will be up in the big box for 2018.

I wonder how jonny will react in Sochi with the gay rights law. I am sure NBC an USOC is urging athletes not to bring it up, but I am sure some will or wear wristbands, etc. opposing the law. Jonny may be uncharacteristically quiet at NBC's urging....

vCash
    Wow - I continue to be so impressed with Johnny as commentator. He has such a smooth, mature voice...and mature comments...with an occasional funny quip. Just perfect.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I find Johnny & Tanith, both, to be very articulate & informative.

vCash
    ^^ ITA, Tanith and Johnny both have a rare ability to talk intelligently, insightfully and entertainingly about figure skating and in the process keep the focus on the skaters and not on themselves (even being former top level stars of the sport, they are not pretentious prima donnas in the way they approach their commentary duties -- they are both classy and professional). They not only understand what it feels like to compete, they are both able to impart fresh and interesting observations to viewers with panache and eloquence. I'd also add that they both demonstrate great skill at interviewing skaters too!

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    Johnny is a great commentator. He really infuses his commentary with the love he has for the sport and the respect he has for fellow skaters. Johnny knows these people personally so I am sure he has his own rivalries and favorites, but you would not know it from his commentary, he also tries to say nice things about each skater. He puts a very postive spin on things, and he also is good at explaining for the casual viewer. I predict he will be up in the big box for 2018...
    This!

Even tho' Johnny did indicate he felt Kovtun did better than Han overall in the Cup of China fp, I think it is obviously a true statement and not because Johnny tends to enjoy many Russian skaters. He made the comment as his own opinion but it was based on what both Han and Kovtun showed in the fp. Kovtun was stronger and perhaps less nervous in the fp. In fact Kovtun did win the fp but it wasn't enough overall to edge Han who was spectacular in the sp and pretty good in the fp. I do think Han and Kovtun are both stars in the making, but still need to work on their presentation skills, endurance and being consistent under competition pressure.

Too bad NBC doesn't devote a bit more time to showing pairs and ice dance at the GPs.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 11-04-2013 at 08:30 PM.

vCash
    Johnny has been doing really well as a commentator! I'm actually looking forward to what he's going to say. Good Job Johnny and keep it up like this!

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    I wish they would assign JW to do the commentary for the ladies as well as the mens events ...

vCash
    Weir made an intriguing comment during Dennis Ten's free skate, about noticing a great leap forward in a skater's competition stamina if they have moved from a Russian-based coach to a US school - because "The Russian Way" is to treat every week as a competition, while US coaches expect skaters to train a complete SP and FS every day.

What does it mean to treat every week as a competition? Do the skaters not do complete program run throughs except at a weekly in-house competition? (Do they do dance-throughs, as gymnasts do, leaving out the most difficult tricks?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Skaters View Post
    I wish they would assign JW to do the commentary for the ladies as well as the mens events ...
    You got your wish, Johnny is doing men's and ladies' commmentary this Sunday on NBC.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast