Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Made4Dancin View Post
    Well during the announcement he said "If I get arrested, I get arrested." So I thought that meant he was going to Sochi. I don't think they'll arrest him in NYC. He'll probably be like Andrea Joyce. Doing interviews and explaining specifics about elements, etc.
    Did he say this again? Because he gave an interview where he said that quite awhile ago. I thought that the quote was just being reused.

I hope he goes to Sochi though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    They did do well together, but I'd pay good money to see him paired with Scott Hamilton instead.
    +1

vCash
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    @Skittl1321 You can watch it here: http://www.today.com/video/today/53351157#53351157

vCash
    YAY for Johnny! He was such a beautiful skater but I do think his time has passed. He's still a great draw for skating shows and will definitely be a draw as a commentator. I love his honesty and I'm hoping he'll bring a little bit of color to the commentary. Both he and Tara Lipinski have been hired by NBC for Sochi and I'm happy to hear it. I vastly preferred Tara's commentary to Tonia K.'s ceaseless yapping...

Quadless
    vCash
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! This could be fabulous or an epic disaster. I hope it's the former.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Johnny's farewell to competitive skating: http://fcnp.com/2013/10/23/johnnys-world-the-ice/
    It is surreal writing about my career as if it had happened to someone else and to actually write the words: I am retiring from competitive figure skating.

I have cried my way through writing this entire column not because I am sad, or because I’ll miss training or falling or being so nervous I think my head will explode, or starving or the glory of victory or the agony of defeat. I cry because of the memories that have shaped my life. I am sad about those moments awaiting scores that will catapult me to my first national title and finally believing in myself, or navigating a foreign airport with my mom and aunt. I will miss traveling the world with a crazy group of skaters, coaches, judges, fans, and the like, who all want to see a good, clean fight, a worthy champion and to stop for a moment to appreciate the power of the moments you create together. Although not always a fan of the figure skating world, they are my high school peers, my college frat brothers, my friends, supporters and confidants and I will miss them.
    http://instagram.com/p/f0E8CQBhW0/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I like this sentence of his in his well-written newspaper column: "part of being a champion is knowing when your time is up". He was a great skater; I truly loved to watch him skate. But it was sad to witness his last competitive efforts one year ago in Espoo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! This could be fabulous or an epic disaster. I hope it's the former.
    Johnny and Tara did background commentary and after-the-fact analysis for Universal Sports (then NBC) for the 2010 World Championships. They were quite good . I found they had more empathy for the skaters than Bezic, Hamilton, Carruthers et al who seem to be more in tune with skating establishment. Johnny talked about what he liked/disliked about the skaters' musical interpretation, and Tara talked about what she would do to make each skater more competitive if she were coaching them.

Quadless
    vCash
    Yeah, I loved them and Johnny had some brilliant moments. But there's a fine line between being refreshingly candid and saying something that will get you in trouble, so I hope that he is able to be himself without making any unintentionally controversial statements that might get him in trouble with NBC.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Great - that should be interesting. I hope I get to see some videos with him commentating.

vCash
    Fantastic news. A great hire for NBC, and a long time coming - imagine, a Russian speaking skating analyst, who (if NBC is smart) can also do interviews with the Russian champs. And maybe even a few background interviews Russian fans and volunteers.

Weir is a smart man with a charming personality.

Tara's very personable, but her after-competition chats were better than her play by play.

vCash
    I think the pairing of the two of them is wonderful, they both have a great understanding of COP and terrific on-air personalities. That said, they will have to learn to reign themselves in a bit to stay on topic about the competition and the skaters. Johnny will need to tone down his penchant for being provocative and outrageous and Tara will need to stop talking so much about herself. I look forward to their commentaries and Tanith's. Yay, something besides just the tired monotony of Scott and Sandra!!!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    A good decision for Johnny and great news for all of us, as we'll get to enjoy his commentary. He's always entertaining and I think he will help increase the ratings. I hope he has a safe and wonderful time in Sochi.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I loved Johnny's commentary on Ice Network in 2012. When he covered the men's competition, he was articulate, knowledgeable, and humorous. He didn't put anyone down. He also didn't "me, me, me.." I'm thrilled.

vCash
    This hitfix article says he'll start this Sunday during Skate Canada coverage: http://www.hitfix.com/news/figure-sk...m=awe.sm_iHgGb

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Whee! Excellent news. It's great that Johnny will be in Sochi!

Got to make sure I catch that Skate Canada broadcast on Sunday.

vCash
    Very happy to hear this news! I really enjoyed his commentary on Ice Network and it's great that he will have a much wider audience!

Thanks for the article, Sylvia. It was very poignant and well written. Wishing Johnny all the best as he transitions into the next phase of his career!

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Johnny's farewell to competitive skating: http://fcnp.com/2013/10/23/johnnys-world-the-ice/
    Just had a chance to read this beautifully written and heartfelt piece. Thanks for the memories, indeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Agreed that Johnny and Tara will probably serve the function of Andrea Joyce in the past. Still! Great to get some new blood in there. And PUH-LEASE let this be a sign that eventually Scott and Sandra will be phased out. It would really be nice to have commentators who have competed under the current judging system and have something to add other than "it's so difficult to understand!".

Then again, Johnny frequently had problems counting his jumping passes, so maybe he just proves Scott right

YIPPEE!!! Tara and Johnny - what a great pairing!!! I'm so happy to hear this news!! I totally agree with your post, NBC does need to phase out Scott and Sandra and replace with Tara and Johnny!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast