Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    vCash
    Smart of NBC to have commentators/analysts of the current generation. I just like less talk during a free skate so I can soak it all in rather than be told everything. They can talk more at the close of each program, give a summary or something. Esp. during the Olympics. Less is more. It's obvious when they fall so why say so? I've just watched much of the Grand Prix and GPF and LOVED not having commentators go on and on. I could hear the music and enjoyed the programs much more. Anyway, just my opinion.

vCash
    I found it ironic to hear Johnny "poker face" Weir wishing some of the skaters would emote/project a bit more (tho' he was complimentary about the improvements Mao has made in that area--projecting to the audience). Johnny used to say (when criticized for never having any expression on his face) that he skated only for himself. I prefer Ryan Bradley & Tanith Belben as commentators. IMO they provide more information and they just sound more "alive". Once again, with the NBC broadcast of ladies and mens LP's today, the music was muted and the commentary was too loud. We've had taped broadcasts of skating competitions before but it was never so obvious that the commentators (Johnny and Tara) were at a studio watching a tape as it was each Sunday through the GP series this fall. The Universal Sports broadcasts have been much better.

vCash
    One of the best parts of today's GPF commentary was the silence during Hanyu's short, almost to the end. And then Johnny broke in just to say a small summary.

vCash
    I just like less talk during a free skate so I can soak it all in rather than be told everything
    The "general audience" needs information, in the age of IJS, which changes from season to season.
    It is difficult to achieve a balance between too little/too much information, IMO.

I believe that Johnny is doing a good job of this.

vCash
    That might be me (although I watch a lot) and they are talking to much. It was three of them, cut it down to two. Hopefully in time Johnny and Tara can fine tune themselves. they are just dying to hard and Johnny comes off as an expert and I just keep remembering all the times he wasn't consistent.

vCash
    I'm really enjoying Johnny's commentary. His voice is easy on my ears and he seems to comment on a wide range of things, unlike Tara. Tara's second favorite word seems to be "triple" and her very favorite word seems to be "tripletriple." A one track mind.

I was wondering when Sotnikova took the ice, if Johnny would make a costume remark. I was LOL when he mentioned her distracting lingerie!

Anyway, it's going to be very hard on the ears going back to Scott's scream-grunting for Oly's and I'm guessing US Nationals.
    Last edited by Doggygirl; 12-09-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Charlie has taught me so much about positivity and your outlook on life, and that it’s your choice in the way you see the world and the way you react to situations. ~Sharna Burgess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I think it has more to do with packaging. At least Tara was always age-appropriate.
    Pretty much all the Russian skaters have poor packaging/costume choices, save Julia. Adelina has her skin tight see-through lingerie-like dresses, Liza and her black tights and black dresses that all look the same, some with plunging necklines, Anna costumed like a dancer/hooker straight out of the red light district - at 15, and Elena with her indecisive tights and overly busy whickety wack dresses. They are all very attractive girls it should not be that hard to get them flattering and tasteful costumes..

Quadless
    vCash
    I was actually quite pleasantly surprised by how restrained they were in making commentary during the programs. But like others, I am quite enjoying Johnny's commentary when he does provide it. I really enjoy that he is both technical and also very supportive of all skaters, and manages to find something positive to say about each.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Pretty much all the Russian skaters have poor packaging/costume choices, save Julia. Adelina has her skin tight see-through lingerie-like dresses.
    To be fair, Alissa Czisny started the see-through lingerie trend with a nearly identical costume but in white, which made it even tackier than Adelina's if you can believe that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    To be fair, Alissa Czisny started the see-through lingerie trend with a nearly identical costume but in white, which made it even tackier than Adelina's if you can believe that.
    And Angela Nikodinov before Alissa Czisny ...

http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=35525

O-

vCash
    She wasn't wearing nude bloomers though making her look naked underneath it. (Though I absolutely agree Alissa's costume was tacky, I'm not sure why white is tackier than black though. Alissa's costume also didn't make it uncomfortable for me to watch the program the way Adelina and Carolina's nude bloomers do, making it look like they forgot to wear anything under their dress and the illusion of seeing their private areas. At least Carolina is an "adult"...)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Both Angela and Alissa looked appropriate while Adelina does not. It's the nude spanky pants that make it so

Johnny was a star, as always. Love hearing his voice and listening to his comments.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    While Angela's dress looked like lingerie, it wasn't nearly as see through as Alissa or Adelina's costume. What made Alissa's white dress so tacky is that all you could see were her blinding white "undies" underneath the dress. The dress was secondary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pESb2qs3-Q Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The thing is, Alissa was a lot older when she wore the white dress and it looked OK, live or on TV. Adelina is only 17 and she is wearing black and gold bling, which is a more mature color combination.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I like you, IceAlisa, so we will just disagree on this one. To me it looked like a full length sarong thrown over granny panties from Walmart.

vCash
    While Angela's dress looked like lingerie, it wasn't nearly as see through as Alissa or Adelina's costume. What made Alissa's white dress so tacky is that all you could see were her blinding white "undies" underneath the dress. The dress was secondary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pESb2qs3-Q Tacky, tacky, tacky.
    This comment made me laugh. The fact that the current dresses look like they DON'T have underwear on is what is bothering me, where you were bothered that Alissa's were visible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    This comment made me laugh. The fact that the current dresses look like they DON'T have underwear on is what is bothering me, where you were bothered that Alissa's were visible.
    I'm "bothered" by both. There is no need for the feigned nudity or obvious underwear "look"! There are so many options for gorgeous dresses and colors of dresses.

O-

vCash
    Tara and Johnny: Looking towards the Olympics (December 17, 2013): http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/tara...wards-olympics
    "NBCOlympics.com sat down with commentators Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir (who know a thing or two about figure skating) to discuss the hot-button topics at the season’s mid-point."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Cross-posting the link to this Associated Press article from the Olympics forum in Kiss and Cry: http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2013-...om-sochi-games
    Relevant excerpt:
    In a shift from NBC's coverage of past games outside North America, nearly every figure skating performance will air on cable [on NBCSN] during the day, with the key moments shown on tape delay on the main network that night as in previous Olympics.
    A separate announcing team will call the live broadcasts, with former Olympians Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir providing commentary. There won't be much in the way of profiles, which will be saved for the night. Other networks still must wait until after the prime-time broadcasts to air highlights.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I like Johnny's commentary.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011