Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

vCash
    My gut feeling is Tara really does not understand the new judging system as well as Johnny. Tara never had to skate under it so that may be the reason.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Justathoughtabl View Post
    Also, I believe it was while watching Gao that Johnny said her weakness was "as a performer," the implication being that the artistic score would be lower. Tara then contradicted him, saying that Gao is very expressive but needs to work on her skating skills. When the scores came up, they agreed with Johnny. The technical score was the higher of the two.

Here's the dream team in the booth:

http://www.iphoneogram.com/p/5909368...6028_21633233/

Deep in concentration:
    http://www.iphoneogram.com/p/5899617...0681_21633233/
    Thanks for these. Yes, I agree that Johnny seems to get it more than Tara. He also has a genuine talent for commentating, making it interesting, fun but not intrusive. Great voice. More Johnny, please!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Also, I believe it was while watching Gao that Johnny said her weakness was "as a performer," the implication being that the artistic score would be lower. Tara then contradicted him, saying that Gao is very expressive but needs to work on her skating skills. When the scores came up, they agreed with Johnny. The technical score was the higher of the two.
    To give Tara the benefit of the doubt, there is a separate category for skating skills under the PCS score. Christina tends to get her highest PCS score there, but even so that's been hovering in the low 7's, which is ok, but not a great score. In case that's what Tara meant by needing to work on her skating skills, she would have a point. Christina's interpretation and performance/execution scores are pretty close to her SS score when she skates cleanly, so there is a case to be made that her PCS would improve if she were to skate bigger and push out her patterns. Especially this year when her LP music is this dramatik soundtrack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Thanks for these. Yes, I agree that Johnny seems to get it more than Tara. He also has a genuine talent for commentating, making it interesting, fun but not intrusive. Great voice. More Johnny, please!
    I've really enjoyed his commentary! He is both personal...based on his own experiences and knowledge of the skaters...and quite professional in his understanding of technique, performance and the current judging system. And he brings a sly humor and wit to the proceedings.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    The commentary for TEB men was done "live"... not after the fact..Johnny tweeted it on Nov. 15th

ohnny Weir-Voronov‏@JohnnyGWeir15 Nov
    Just commentated the men from Tropheé Eric Bompard live with Miss @Tara_Lipinski and all I have to say is WOW!

Banned Member
    vCash
    I love how Tara is forthcoming as an commentator. It makes it fun, makes it more unpredictable. I don't want another Scott Hamilton where we could sense his choreographed comments from a mile away. That's why Dick Button was so great; even in his latter days as a commentator, you never know what would come out of his mouth but it was sure as hell incisive. No matter if you disagree with him or not, he was doing his damnedest to promote the sport-- which I cannot say the same for Scott Hamilton's prostrating style.

vCash
    I really liked Johnny's and Tara's commentating at TEB. When a skater missed a jump, he/she explained what happened.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    My gut feeling is Tara really does not understand the new judging system as well as Johnny. Tara never had to skate under it so that may be the reason.
    I don't know if she does or not. But when Paul Wylie commentated near the beginning of the implementation of COP, he knew it! And, he obviously had never competed under it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    The commentary for TEB men was done "live"... not after the fact..Johnny tweeted it on Nov. 15th

ohnny Weir-Voronov‏@JohnnyGWeir15 Nov
    Just commentated the men from Tropheé Eric Bompard live with Miss @Tara_Lipinski and all I have to say is WOW!

I took it to mean the SP (November 15 was the SP, right?) and couldn't figure out where this commentary would be heard.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I took it to mean the SP (November 15 was the SP, right?) and couldn't figure out where this commentary would be heard.
    I know, right? I wish that they would do it live all of the time.Do they do Universal, too?

vCash
    Universal doesn't show the NHK, TEB, CoC, and Russia live, so I don't think so.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Even then, why are they so damn precious about replaying their videos?

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I meant is the commentary "live" as in being done as the event is happening in front of them rather than after the fact.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I meant is the commentary "live" as in being done as the event is happening in front of them rather than after the fact.
    I have no idea.
    Ryan Bradley did a good job and seemed that maybe he'd seen it in advance.

vCash
    Johnny tweeted this yesterday: http://instagram.com/p/hn8YYDBhTw/
    Off to work we go with @taralipinski. Watch the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final tomorrow [Sunday Nov. 8] on @nbcsports starting at Noon EST! #dreamteam
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Good job, tho' I personally miss Terry G in the booth. Tara and Johnny make a confident and competent team. But I think Johnny 's excellence helps make Tara better to some degree. OTOH, I disagree with some of their comments during GPF. I preferred Johnny being the sole color commentator with Terry for the men's singles.

Some good insights from Johnny per usual, but I thought Tara and Johnny both were overly critical of Ashley while somewhat overly gushing 're some of her competitors, especially Julia L. If they feel Radionova is immature, what makes them feel Julia is so much more expressive and mature??? Julia's lucky she just makes the age limitation for Olympic eligibility. Elena R has a more effervescent personality than Julia Lip, and I thought Elena's sp was delightful and underscored, although her fp choice of music and costume do not fare as well. Tara talking about Elena's youthful immaturity and necessity to wait was humorously ironic. It seems to me that Tara and Johnny both have a preference/ soft spot for Julia. I personally find Julia's emoting to be very studied similar to Tara Lip herself at the same age, although Tara had a more engaging on-ice personality as does Elena R.

Looks like the commentary was done after the fact from their over-emphasis on Ashley being tight on a couple of early jumps, and the fact they stressed Sotnikova's inconsistency prior to her fp, rather than remarking on how close the marks were for Ash and Sotnikova in the sp by a political hairbreadth.

Agree with Johnny 's description of Sot's fp costume. Sot could benefit from better consistency and overall on-ice packaging.

vCash
    Terry was doing the golf broadcast this weekend,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Tara talking about Elena's youthful immaturity and necessity to wait was humorously ironic.
    I got a chuckle out of that one, too
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I got a chuckle out of that one, too
    Maybe she feels there's a huge difference between 14 and 15? But honestly, watching the skating of Anna and Julia, I doubt it. They are bigger than Elena but the youngness of their skating still shines through.

vCash
    I think it has more to do with packaging. At least Tara was always age-appropriate.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast