Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Well, blind Freddie could see this one coming...
    Ha and surely the sour grapes from those who love to gripe about anything Johnny-related could be predicted too, misskarne! At least we can score one for "blind Freddie" in a very positive way.

Unless you happened to donate money yourself, what's your worry?

Johnny may wish he'd done some things differently in his career if he was able to do them over, but I doubt his decision to make the effort to come back is one of the things he would change.

It's kind of funny that you are able to tell us all about when athletes need to give it up and retire, misskarne.

vCash
    Just read the thread and the additional news about Tanith & Tara. Tanith I don't mind because I never watch ice dance. However, I'll be honest Tara I'm not particularly thrilled about. I don't care for her voice nor her self-absorption nor her self, which is the way she comes across to me when I have seen her on t.v. However, will try to keep an open mind. And after all 2 out of 3 ain't bad, lol.

ps: I do love Tara's house though, built in the style of GWTW (one of my favorite all-time movies & books), and also she posted one of thee most loveliest pictures ever on IN's twitter feed a couple of months ago ~ a picture of her on an old-fashioned swing underneath a huge antique tree with lush greenery all around her and I think her dog was in the picture.

vCash
    Thrilled to hear this news about Johnny--Tara and Tanith too!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    This is great news. Nice to see that he has announced his retirement and is moving on to a new chapter.

vCash
    I saw on espn (surprise!) today that Johnny has retired. Good for him. This gets rid of all the speculation about his return. He can enjoy life now. I just wish he had won an Olympic medal at some point. His best chance was in 2006.

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    Haven't read the thread, just read the news, and my immediate thought was Johnny's selection was probably based on his potential to fill the void left by Mr. Button ~ cerebral, witty, sarcastic at times, funny, and knowledgeable. Congratulations, Johnny!
    EXACTLY!! Johnny's comentary has always been clever, insightful, and most of all, honest without being demeaning-a characteristic that would do well in ANY media connected to a sport like Figure Skating. Fall as they may, there will never be a man, woman, or team that would say "I came here to lose, so fifth place is right where I wanted to be.." Johnny has the sensitivity and presence of mind NOT to throw comments out there that will be hurtful to others. His critiques are funny as well as clever. I canot wait to see what he does with "Trankov'sPants!!!!"

On Artur Gachinski's BANDWAGON (thanx l'etoile!)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Ha and surely the sour grapes from those who love to gripe about anything Johnny-related could be predicted too, misskarne! At least we can score one for "blind Freddie" in a very positive way.

Unless you happened to donate money yourself, what's your worry?

Johnny may wish he'd done some things differently in his career if he was able to do them over, but I doubt his decision to make the effort to come back is one of the things he would change.

It's kind of funny that you are able to tell us all about when athletes need to give it up and retire, misskarne.
    I DID donate money to Johnny's comeback fund..and I don't want ANY of it back!! To me, he has given me so much joy throughout his career, that he can keep any money I sent as a gift!! Meeting him after Ice Dreams 2011 is one of the highlights of this so-called life! He was the most amazingly gracious host durig the VIP afterparty!! he was so tired, and never once let on that he didn't have an hour apiece for the approximately 50 or so of us there.. Completely selfless, kind, funny and generous with both his time and his attention. You would have thought HE was there to see US...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    Jesus, Joseph and Mary Lou Retton, we get it. You don't like Tara. You're a Kwan devotee and you can't stand the girl who beat her for the ultimate gold medal. Got it. Got it. Got it 5,000 posts ago. Now go buy a calendar that doesn't read 1998 anymore.

Back to Johnny, lovely article. It made me teary-eyed. Very well-written and brimming with class. He'll make a fine addition to NBC.
    Please tell me why not liking Tara's commentator skills makes me a Kwan devotee.

Oh I get it ...only your views are acceptable.

Since I am not changing my mind due to your insults you can always just put me on ignore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Please tell me why not liking Tara's commentator skills makes me a Kwan devotee.

Oh I get it ...only your views are acceptable.

Since I am not changing my mind due to your insults you can always just put me on ignore.
    Oh please. It's not about views. You live for Tara references so you can bash her. If you want to keep doing it, continue on. I don't want to deny you the great joy it obviously brings you in what must be a lacking life.
    Last edited by fenway2; 10-24-2013 at 03:24 AM.

vCash

Johnny Weir joining NBC as skating analyst

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
    I DID donate money to Johnny's comeback fund..and I don't want ANY of it back!! To me, he has given me so much joy throughout his career, that he can keep any money I sent as a gift!! Meeting him after Ice Dreams 2011 is one of the highlights of this so-called life! He was the most amazingly gracious host durig the VIP afterparty!! he was so tired, and never once let on that he didn't have an hour apiece for the approximately 50 or so of us there.. Completely selfless, kind, funny and generous with both his time and his attention. You would have thought HE was there to see US...
    Same with me, Johnny showed me such kindness every time I saw him after ice shows at his training rink, he remembered me and my family and was always so amazed that people waited to see him.

vCash
    I think that despite his come back last year not being the one he nor his fans wanted, at least he had the courage to actually get on the ice at a grand prix and try. That is a lot more than many other "comeback" skaters ever do.
    Last edited by AndyWarhol; 10-24-2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    whole post
    My thoughts exactly!

I'll be tuning in NBC on Sunday to listen to Johnny's "analysis."

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    He just announced on The Today Show his official retirement from skating and that he's joining NBC as a skating analyst, including for the Olympics.
    My dreams have just come true! I hope that he doesn't push the envelope/stretch his luck with the Russian Gvt. but, heck, if he does the entire NBC Sochi coverage will become far more interesting.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    My dreams have just come true! I hope that he doesn't push the envelope/stretch his luck with the Russian Gvt. but, heck, if he does the entire NBC Sochi coverage will become far more interesting.
    I'm sure Johnny has been told that he needs to be a professional at all times while working for NBC and that he can't do anything controversial. Johnny can keep himself under control when he wants to.

vCash
    Johnny Weir tweeted overnight and today:
    It's 1:13 am and I've just woken up for my first day of work. So excited to join the @NBCOlympics @NBCSports family!

Working Girl. #Tess @ NBC Sports Group http://instagram.com/p/f9l0fFhhTS/

Wow! I've got so much to learn! Being on TV and working on TV are totally different. Can't wait to work hard and progress with @NBCOlympics!
    He'll be on NBC's Skate Canada broadcast later this afternoon (4-6 pm Eastern; check your local listings).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

Johnny Weir joining NBC as skating analyst

I did not get to watch a of this. (Hope the DVR worked) but I thought he was doing a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

vCash
    I thought Johhny did an utterly fantastic job commentating on Skate Canada. Professional, articulate, informative!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I thought Johhny did an utterly fantastic job commentating on Skate Canada. Professional, articulate, informative!!!!
    That's exactly what I thought. Nice to have commentary from someone who actually understands the system.

vCash
    Skate Canada commentating - too much talking while skaters are performing - I'm trying to listen to the music and soak in the skate! Save the comments afterward. Much of what he said today he repeated when they replayed some of the moves, which is a better place to talk more than during the performance.
    EDIT - also mean to add that the comments were appropriate and informative, just too much during the skate.
    Last edited by DreamSkates; 10-27-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Forgot something!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast