Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash

Johnny Weir joining NBC as skating analyst

He just announced on The Today Show his official retirement from skating and that he's joining NBC as a skating analyst, including for the Olympics.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Now this is interesting and could be a good thing for NBC, skating fans, and potential fans. Judging by his outing last year doing some commentary, he was pretty good at it. Maybe this is the sort of analyst NBC needs to help bridge the gap between viewers and the inscrutable judging system. Wonder what disciplines he will be commentating and how Scotty/Sandra/whomever else is on the broadcast roster fits into this with him.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Just as long as they don't put a leash on him and let him say whatever the hell he wants to say, I'm good with that. Now THAT could provide some very entertaining television.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    He just announced on The Today Show his official retirement from skating and that he's joining NBC as a skating analyst, including for the Olympics.

Awesome!! I think NBC is smart to hire him. Can't wait to see him in Sochi.

vCash
    This is the best of all possible outcomes. I'm so excited and happy for Johnny, NBC and mother Russia. Think about what it all means. It's going to be great.

vCash
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Made4Dancin View Post
    This is the best of all possible outcomes. I'm so excited and happy for Johnny, NBC and mother Russia. Think about what it all means. It's going to be great.
    I'm delighted.
    I hope that this works to his benefit.

vCash
    Yes! I love his commentary!
    Honey badger don't care!

vCash
    Just a question: Why does it say "analyst" and not "commentator"? I hope that does not mean that NBC wants him just in the background.

I really hope he gets a chance to actually go to Russia and be his usual self (some commentators work without being at the rinks).

vCash
    I wonder if analyst means he will be in the studios after events giving overall views, rather than PBP real time commentary.
    I also wonder if that means he will be kept in the US.

vCash
    Woo hoo!! Good for Johnny. He'll be great.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Wonder if he'll be paired with Tara Lipinsky....They did a great job previously.

vCash
    I would assume he will be behind the scenes and not actually doing the play by play.

vCash
    If he is in Sochi, Johnny will have the "protective identity" of NBC around him.

vCash
    http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...ating/related/
    Two-time Olympian Johnny Weir, Olympic champion Tara Lipinski and Olympic silver medalist Tanith Belbin will join NBC Olympics for its coverage through the Sochi Winter Games.

Weir, who announced his retirement Wednesday, and Lipinski will serve as figure skating analysts for NBC Olympics’ multi-platform coverage. Belbin will report for NBC Olympics’ Sports Desk and “The Olympic Zone” program.

Weir and Lipinski will appear on NBC’s coverage of Skate Canada on Sunday at 4 p.m. ET.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Brilliant! Congratulations, Johnny.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I wonder if analyst means he will be in the studios after events giving overall views, rather than PBP real time commentary.
    I also wonder if that means he will be kept in the US.
    Well during the announcement he said "If I get arrested, I get arrested." So I thought that meant he was going to Sochi. I don't think they'll arrest him in NYC. He'll probably be like Andrea Joyce. Doing interviews and explaining specifics about elements, etc.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Agreed that Johnny and Tara will probably serve the function of Andrea Joyce in the past. Still! Great to get some new blood in there. And PUH-LEASE let this be a sign that eventually Scott and Sandra will be phased out. It would really be nice to have commentators who have competed under the current judging system and have something to add other than "it's so difficult to understand!".

Then again, Johnny frequently had problems counting his jumping passes, so maybe he just proves Scott right

Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nickerspoodle View Post
    Wonder if he'll be paired with Tara Lipinsky....They did a great job previously.
    They did do well together, but I'd pay good money to see him paired with Scott Hamilton instead.

vCash
    This is wonderful news to wake up to! I knew Johnny was going to get to Sochi one way or another!!!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast