Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lesson watchers

vCash
    If you want to learn to skate, take classes or pay a coach for a private lesson. No matter how nice the skater or coach may seem to your face when you butt in on their lesson time, inwardly they are really annoyed and are not thinking nice things about you. Do not copy a skater in a lesson and do not ask someone else's coach to look at you during their lesson. It's very rude.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    If you want to learn to skate, take classes or pay a coach for a private lesson. No matter how nice the skater or coach may seem to your face when you butt in on their lesson time, inwardly they are really annoyed and are not thinking nice things about you. Do not copy a skater in a lesson and do not ask someone else's coach to look at you during their lesson. It's very rude.
    Not to mention the fact that taking lesson time you didn't pay for is stealing.

vCash
    Yes, I think it is wrong to interrupt someone's lesson. Time ain't cheap!

I don't mind if someone comes up to me at a public session and asks me how to do something. Normally its a total beginner wanting to know
    how to do a layback (which is what I normally practice in public sessions), so I'll show them a two a spin instead haha.

I would find it annoying if someone did this in a freestyle sessions because
    a) they should know better
    b) I'm actually there to train, time is money etc etc

vCash
    I am quite sure that FSWer has not understood the usual etiquette around other people's lessons. He always means well and this is an innocent lack of knowledge. I would guess that the students and coaches at his rink know him well and perhaps make exceptions.

FSWer, you're not stealing anything so don't let that upset you - but as a rule, interrupting someone else's lesson is just not done.

Skate on!
    Last edited by Willowway; 12-04-2013 at 02:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I hope you don't do this (ask the coach to watch you) during the skaters lesson. Many coaches will be nice enough to help you, but skaters pay a very high rate for their lessons, so it is very impolite to use up their time.
    Not just nice behavior. Coaches are happy to help new people because those new people might be future students

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Not just nice behavior. Coaches are happy to help new people because those new people might be future students
    True, but if they do it during another skater's lesson time, they just might find themselves having to replace an unhappy skater with a new one, rather than add a new one on, so they aren't really gaining anything.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    True, but if they do it during another skater's lesson time, they just might find themselves having to replace an unhappy skater with a new one, rather than add a new one on, so they aren't really gaining anything.
    Yep. I left a coach with this being a pretty big contributor as why. I didn't feel the coach respected the time I paid for, and talked too much with others.

If the coach wants to give out free advice when I'm not paying- I've got no problem with that.

vCash
    I thnk most people are too nice to say something but would agree that it's generally bad etiquette to follow someone else's lesson.

vCash
    I observe other people's lessons, but the most I get out of it is how a coach interacts with their students and how long the student(s) stay with said coach and how much they progress. Public sessions are so noisy and most lessons move around the rink, you would have to stay awfully close in order to actually hear all of the coach's instructions. I would never interrupt a lesson in progress.

It didn't bother me if skaters watched my lessons or asked me questions afterwards.

vCash
    I actually don't like being watched at all, whether in or out of a lesson. I guess I picked the wrong sport.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Tell her you know Tonya Harding personally and could have them eliminated with one phone call.

vCash
    Aw, I am not convinced that she knew anything about it before it happened. But that's a whole different topic. But I doubt she ever needed to pilfer from other people's lessons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12